Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, it's been a while since I last posted but still enjoying my Q3. It's now time to change and I am looking at another SE but Quattro variant and according to the training manual posted on the forum recently it says the LED DRl's are changeable. If this is so then I will order the Xenon's as I don't like the Sline with black seats.Anyone disagree with the manual. The reason I ask is because previous posts suggest when a DRL led goes you have to replace the whole light assembly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess not then

·
Registered
518 Posts
It looks like the LED module is a plug replacement part, as you suggest, independent of the drl light tube.

·
Registered
7 Posts
guys, slightly off topic, but we took delivery of our Q3 last month here in Australia, cut it short, the dealer shafted us and the cararrived with normal lights instead of the xenon/LEDS.Audi swear black and blue the fronts cant be retro fitted, claim some big changes in the wiring the reason for making it an viable. Ive seen 2 places in europe advertise as doing the work using genuine Audi parts, but not much use to me here in AustraliaAnybody know how true this is?

·
Registered
518 Posts
It appears to be possible to retrofit Xenon's. Googling on "Q3 xenon retrofit" produces many results, including this, for examplehttp://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/RetrofittingHaving said that, if you ordered Xenons, and the car came without them, why not reject the car, or are you now too late for that? Seems easiest would be to reject the car and let the dealer reorder anew car for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive had a fair google, but it all seems a bit vague, kufatec sell a kit, but say ;"In some cases the onboard control unit needs to be replaced"http://www.kufatec.com.au/shop/en/Audi/Q3-8U/Bi-Xenon-Headlights-LED-DTRL-Upgrade-Audi-Q31are they referring to the ECU on the car?as for not excepting the car, basically, no, we didnt order to our spec, we just took bought an existing one. The car was in a diffrent state and the first "MY14" our dealer was selling. Sales manager told the sales guy during negiotitions that Xenons are standard on MY14 cars, when it arrived, they found out theyd made a mistake. We got a bit of discount, and thought Id deal with it, but surprise surprise, Im not :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
As I said, it seems to be possible to retrofit the xenons, but it is complex and therefore expensive.Another point to bear in mind that it is likely you might invalidate the warranty on the car by fitting non-standard items, even if you use factory Audi parts. Anything that connects to the central CAN bus could throw the whole electronics out, which is what isimplied in the link I posted above. Also, you might need to advise your insurers of this modification.At the end of the day, xenons are nice, but I doubt they would be worth it financially or in terms of lost warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
100%.not interested in some backyard conversion, ( I've had a local guy say he'd do it for 3k Aus )but more so some more insight into why Audi atm are saying they can't retro fit them even tho they stuffed up!I'm currently liaising with post sales customer service and want to be informed as possible during talk if they dare get technical.
I'm sure with time, more will be in the same boat and want the fancy lights and have more options. But until my warranty is up, I wouldn't want our baby Q to be the experiment of some hack. On the other hand, if Audi come to the party.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts