Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Ive had my 2012 (62) Q3 2.0 177 S Line for about a year and all has been good. I've just had a warning come up of light malfunction and can see that the drivers side xenon headlight is dimmer than the passenger side but it is still working.

Before now, I've only ever had cars with halogen headlights which when they fail, they simply blow and don't work at all.

Is it common for these bulbs to become dim and throw up the malfunction warning when they simply need replacing, or does anyone have experience of this on their Q3 pointing to something other than a simple bulb replacement.

Thanks guys,
Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those might be the original bulbs from 2012. Probably just dying of age. Swop the bulbs around left to right and see if the dimming follows. D3s bulb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh that's a good idea, thank you. I've never changed a xenon bulb but I've heard you need to be really careful not to touch the glass.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I think the key thing is not to touch the bulb with bare hands as the natural oils on the skin can burn onto the glass. If you happen to catch the glass just clean off any fingerprints with tissue.
This youtube video may help with bulb removal - Audi Q3 xenon headlight headlamp bulb replacement - YouTube

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello all,

Ive had my 2012 (62) Q3 2.0 177 S Line for about a year and all has been good. I've just had a warning come up of light malfunction and can see that the drivers side xenon headlight is dimmer than the passenger side but it is still working.

Before now, I've only ever had cars with halogen headlights which when they fail, they simply blow and don't work at all.

Is it common for these bulbs to become dim and throw up the malfunction warning when they simply need replacing, or does anyone have experience of this on their Q3 pointing to something other than a simple bulb replacement.

Thanks guys,
Matt
Welcome,often,weirdly enough,Xenon bulbs have a pinkish tinge when they are not long for this world 🤔

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Spike, thanks for the reply and link. I'm hoping its just a bulb replacement but will swap them over and see what result I get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks TheJam. Yeh I would say it's a slight pink as opposed to the white light produced by the good bulb. Will report back when ive had a go at swapping. Cheers guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts