Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got quattro and gone for winter tyres?

Previously had a 4x4 and still managed to "lose it" setting off on a snowy bend. So am thinking might be worth investing in winter tyres.

Anyhow, any thoughts or member experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have, but haven't switched to winter tyres yet. Will probably have to do it next weekend as winter is approaching now. :-(
I got the 17" Y-spoke wheels with non-studded winter tyres, Continental brand I think. Actually looking forward a bit to testing them. (I.e., playing around in the snow!)
Don't know about what kind of winter conditions you are used to, but a 2-wheel-drive with winter tyres will run circles around *any* 4wd with summer tyres. The winter/summer tyres difference is many orders of magnitude more significant than the 2wd/4wd difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi JayN

Entirely agree!!! Had a Tiguan last year and bought 16 inch VW/Audi OEM winter alloys and tyres. Amazing difference in handling and stopping distances when temperature under 7*centigrade,as per advice all over the net.

It was great driving into a car park with fresh snow and putting to the test when no one else would dare to go there!!! Link below from the many websites on the benefits of winter tyres in the UK.

http://etyres.co.uk/winter-tyres

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Guys,
You have got me really thinking about putting on winter tyres. Would you recommend tyres only or going for wheels and tyres?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I haven't but am also thinking about it, I'd like to have it sorted out quite soon I think to ensure I'm prepared if we have a cold snap. It seems to make a huge difference as the temperature drops below 7 degrees although obviously won't do my fuel consumption much good.

All suggestions gratefully received.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi oldgrantiFrom past experience I would definately go for the complete wheel/tyre package.You can change them yourself if you wish and saves you from continually having to have them rebalanced with associated costs.Theres also the chance that tyres/wheels could be damaged each time they are separated.Go for a simple spoke design with not too many nooks and crannys that can trap the winter crap.It may seem expensive fitting winter boots,but dont forget,while your on them your summer sandles are safely tucked and not being worn out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Agree with Wal, I would go for two sets of wheels. Remember that you will have to switch twice a year, and thus the tyres last longer also, so I would think having one set of wheels would be veryinconvenient in terms of switches/rebalancing etc.
Also, it makes sense to both have smaller wheels (more comfortable on snow, and also better grip) and a smaller width (improved handling in snow and water.) Smaller width will probably also offset the mileage penalty slightly, if you are concerned with that.
I got the winter wheels + tyres in some really neat and practical "bags" with handles, for simpler storage and carrying. And it's needed, they are a bit heavier than my previous car... :)
Again, check out Bob getting totallyecstatic with Q3+winter tyres:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4a_n-wIyw :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Wal and JayN,
Thanks for feedback, everything you say makes sense and has convinced me to go for the wheels and tyres option. I will be ordering tomorrow.
Thanks again Guys

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with JayN that the best way is to use a smaller narrower fitment. 215/65R16 is the the obvious fitment as it is a Q3 original fitment size for some markets. The UK market is deemed too image conscious by Audi too need such a mundane tyre fitment even on the base model. This size gives less than 1 percent rolling radius change in place of the common Q3 fitments of 235/55R17 SE model or 235/50R18 Sline.Edited by: Tyreman

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Tyreman

215/65 winter wheels and tyres will be going on in the next two weeks. Originally purchased for my previous car VW Tiguan. They are OEM VW but are the correct offset of 33 for the Q3. Just had to swap the VW centre caps for Audi and job done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ordered winter wheels and tyres today, went for Audi selection (not cheapest) but for me easiest option. I did manage to get a £60 discount from Edinburgh Audi.
I asked about storage per Del's note and cost quoted was £120 per year. Appears they are stored in a central warehouse, suitably tagged etc. Guess I will just stick them in the garage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Temperature has dropped below zero during the night, and snow is forecast for tomorrow evening, so I had to change wheels today. This is how my 17" wheels with winter tyres look like. Couldn't actually feel much of a difference driving on dry roads in -2 degreesCelsius. I borrowed a torque wrench to get the bolts fastened with exactly the specified 120 Nm. (And I'm glad I did, I was a bit surprised at how little this really is.) I'm hoping for really crappy conditions tomorrow!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi JayN,
Wheels look good, mine get fitted on Thursday, same type and size. Looking forward to trying out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi JayN and oldgranti,

Are those 215/60R 17 or 225/55R 17?

I'm planning to purchase Goodyear Ultra Grip ICE Artic's. However, 225/55R 17 seems to be the only option for 17" alloys (of that model). I'm just a bit worried about the width that could be slightly narrower.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, mine are 215/60 17", brand is Continental Conti Viking 5. I didn't realize that 225 and 215 both could be used on the same set of wheels, or do the Audi-wheels come in two different versions, both 17" but different widths?
I think I would consider choosing something else than 225 mm Goodyear rather than forcing it on a wheel meant for a 215 mm wide tyre.
Btw., in a local motoring journal test, the Continental Conti Viking 5,Dunlop SP Ice Sport, Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice+ and Nokian Hakkapeiitta R all came out on top with a score of 7.4-7.5/10 in a test of studless winter tyres. The score is a weighted sum for various elements like "braking on ice", "acceleration", "noise", and so on. (16 different categories.) The test (in Norwegian I'm afraid):http://www.dinside.no/903910/test-vinterdekk-2012-2013.

Edited by: JayN

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi SemiQ,
Mines are the same as JayN, only difference is the tyres are Dunlop SP 3D. This is the combination being offered from Audi.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As a comment to the post by JayN 225/55 and 215/60 tyres require the same rim width of 6 to 7.5. The optimum being 6.5 or 7. One of which is probably the size that Audi is supplying with the winter tyres. A useful site for finding out this sort of thing about cars is www.carbibles.com. This site has more general information about cars and how they work than you would ever want to know!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks all,

I'm going to use the original 7 x 17" rims, not the "official" Audi winter versions (6.5 x 17") and 225/55R17 tyres.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Winter wheels and tyres now fitted, now waiting on snow. Purchased through Edinburgh Audi and must say service received was first class. Special mention for Peter in parts department.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts