Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Overall I think that's complete rubbish. Probably this piece is funded by one of the tyre companies.

Lets look at it another way. If I fitted offroad tyres to my other 2wd car it would perform better offroad than my Quattro? Don't think so!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RPS, you may be right regarding funding by the British Tyre Association, or some other organisation, but I think the key word here is snow and not necessarily any other type of surface.

·
Registered
33 Posts
rps199 said:
Overall I think that's complete rubbish. Probably this piece is funded by one of the tyre companies.

Lets look at it another way. If I fitted offroad tyres to my other 2wd car it would perform better offroad than my Quattro? Don't think so!
I just hope I never find myself anywhere near you in bad weather.
Common sense and the laws of physics obviously don't apply to you. I've got four wheel drive so i can go anywhere anytime........
Next time it snows, find a nice flat stretch of road and ask one of your children to stand in the middle of it whilst you drive at them to demonstrate your theory. No?..........thought not
In many countries around europe and the wider world it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted in winter (even to 4X4"s) now why would that be?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pg220 said:
rps199 said:

Common sense and the laws of physics obviously don't apply to you. I've got four wheel drive so i can go anywhere anytime........
Next time it snows, find a nice flat stretch of road and ask one of your children to stand in the middle of it whilst you drive at them to demonstrate your theory. No?..........thought not
In many countries around europe and the wider world it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted in winter (even to 4X4"s) now why would that be?
+1

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree that winter tyres must be effective due to the legal requirements in other countries.

It is true that tyre manufacturers promote these comparisons, however they promote them for good reasons, one of which is safety and one for profit. If you have a good product, it is in your interests to promote it.

However I would of liked to have seen a third car in this test, a 4wd Yeti with winter tyres on and maybe even a 2wd Yeti with summer tyres on- fairer?

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
Pg220 said:
rps199 said:

+1

·
Registered
201 Posts
A little harsh but true none the less, I would much rather be in a 2WD with Winter tyres than a 4WD without in the snow. I can see where you are going with your thinking re. 4WD rps199 but if the tyres have no traction power to 4 wheels isn't going to make a lot of difference.

This has been demonstrated a few times by various motoring magazines and there are many stories of very happy 2WD drivers on winter tyres passing 4WD drivers on factory fit who aren't going anywhere fast in heavy snow. The tyre compound is softer, there's more natural rubber in the tyre and other compounds and oils are added helping to maintain grip below 7 degrees far better. The tread design is better designed to clear water and they pick up and hold snow which significantly increases the grip, snow sticks very well to itself.

Winter tyres with a minimum 4 mm tread depth on a 4WD are the safest way to go when driving in winter. Fingers crossed if you have to stop quickly the cars behind you are also fitted with Winter tyres otherwise they will end up in your boot though.

Example review here:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/winter-tyres-tested/snow-and-ice/259257

Another decent summary here: http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/winter-tyres/winter-tyre-myths

Edited by: Contrition

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pg220 and the other 2 that endorsed these comments I have this to say.

Since when was it acceptable to make comments about my kids even if its to make a point. I would never do this and just shows the type of people u are.

Don't worry I won't be returning to this forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
rps199 said:

Since when was it acceptable to make comments about my kids even if its to make a point. I would never do this and just shows the type of people u are.

Certainly from my perspective no offence was meant towards your children, only endorsing the legal aspect of winter tyres across mainland Europe and that there is much evidence to support their usage regardless of 2wd vs 4wd, although I did not make that differentiation clear.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Guys

I posted some time ago about the benefits of winter tyres, and 4WD, which I have on at the moment. I must say that the Q3 has performed absolutely superb in the recent snow and cold weather.

The grip, shorter braking distance and overall stability is excellent. This is the second year with winters on and will continue to put them on between November and end of march each year. It is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. I know you may have the initial layout of extra alloys but with the tyres there is no real extra cost because the summers are not being used for 5 months of the year. The only hassle is changing them over but I have now bought a torque wrench and proper trolley jack...

Cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have winter tyres and quattro and have felt a lot safer this year as we live in a rural area. The only problem I have had is getting struck in a queue of cars and vans slipping and sliding!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hehe... this being a mostly-UK-forum, I see a correlation between this discussion and the hilarious reports of mega-crisis and chaos that reaches us even here in Norway whenever Heathrow sees an inch or two of snow...

·
Registered
33 Posts
rps199 said:

rps199, I apologise for any perceived inference relating to your children, that was not my intention.
My point remains the same.
To make a sweeping statement rubbishing proven facts, with no basis or counter argument for doing so. is unhelpful in the extreme and perpetuates the arrogant approach of some to other peoples safety (including my children).
Year after year this country grinds to a halt at the slightest suggestion of inclement weather and a major cause of this is driver arrogance and ignorance. Arrogance as to their own overinflated ability to cope with conditions and ignorance of the means to improve it.
See Jay N's comment, we are a laughing stock in this respect.
The reason why countries (who's weather is far worse than ours) continue to cope in severe weather is largely down to the fact that winter tyres are mandatory and people are therefor properly prepared and equipped to cope with the conditions.
If you were going for a walk in six inch of snow, would you put your leather soled office shoes on, on the basis that you are normally a very capable walker on dry footpaths?Do you refuse to buy a pair of wellies or walking boots because you think the manufacturer is pushing their goods?
If you can afford an Audi Q3 you can probably afford a set of winter tyres for it. Try them, I promise you, you wont be disappointed, or more importantly, to blame for an accident!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had got to drive my Toyota Yaris (2WD on front with winter tyres on it) in the snow several times. The difference of the tyres which has made is huge, you should drive and see it yourself. All I can say that it was much much more better grip than my old 4WD Suzuki Grand Vitara without winter tyres. Now I got winter tyres both on Yaris and Q3. I can say that now Q3 has better grip because of Quattro obviously.

Quattro or AWD or 4Motion or XDrive or 4Matic whatever you call it, I think 4WD is not a real life saver on snow without winter tyres. For 2WD cars, there's no way to compete against 4WD if they have both winter tyres on it. Also I can see the difference between 2WD and 4WD without winter tyres. 4WD cars way better than 2WD cars when they are on the same tyre combination. This's all my personal experience ofcourse.

Additionally, I highly recommend that to use manual mode of gear (if possible) on snow

Edited by: terapati

1 - 16 of 16 Posts