Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was just wondering if anyone has had any stone chips or cracked screens yet. Had my car only a few months and I'm already having to have the screen replaced after what sounded like a small stone hitting the screen cracked the passenger side from top to bottom...

After searching on the net it seems that the Q3 is vulnerable to this, but hey who believes the internet, be good to get some real Q3 drivers experiences.

Fortunately I have screen cover with a smallish excess, but it's going to take over a week to get it ordered and fitted.

Edited by: mark3988

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've done just over 8000 miles since May, mostly on French motorways and haven't picked up a chip anywhere yet. (Touch wood)

Edited by: Dinkum

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully it was just one of those things. Checked today and Autoglass will supply the exact same screen as fitted previously. The only difference is that the Audi logo wont be on the bottom right as these are printed on at the factory.

Just in-case anyone else needs to have a replacement screen installed make sure you ask for acoustic glass. All Q3s are fitted with this as standard.

Unless you read the literature the only way of knowing is to read the tiny tiny print in the lower right corner on the screen...

I'll post back once it's done in-case anyone's interested on how I get on...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had our windscreen go tonight.Nice 4-5 inch crack from the bottom of the screen arching upwards. Didn't seem like anything much hit it... but something definitely did by all accounts!
Thanks for the tip off about making sure it's acoustic glass.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really sorry to hear that. Like mine if I'd had the radio on I doubt I would have even heard it. One minute a small chip, look round at it again and a lovely crack. Maybe it's a November thing...

Hope you get it fixed soon, be good to hear how you get on, I'm nervous the technician from AG will damage the car...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've picked up a little "scuff" right at the top of the windscreen - I didn't see it happen, and my wife only noticed it because she sits lower than me behind the wheel.
It's like a sliver - not very deep and about 3 mm at it's widest - but I'll be keeping my eye on it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had the screen replaced by Autoglass. On initial inspection the screen looks as good as new, even had the Audi logo printed in the lower corner which I was told wouldn't be the case.

Will give it a closer look after work but on the whole very pleased to have the car fighting ft again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Strange - i've had to have mine replaced after a chip turned into a massive crack ... I wonder if it is the angle of the screen makes it more prone.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Think we're developing a trend here!
there'll be more posts here than for S-Line Steering Vibration soon...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Had another stone ding me yesterday - so now I have a 2nd scuff, and a 10mm diagonal crack about 6 or 7 cms up from the bottom of the screen, directly in front of the driver's seat.

I have the chaps from "National Windscreens" coming out on Thursday to assess and/or fix, but they think that my accumulation of 3 chips might mean it's time for a fresh window.

I was asked whether I had lane-assist or not, and I mentioned the acoustic glass, so let's see how this goes...

Had the car since June, and done 17,000 miles, but thought the first windscreen would last longer than the first set of tyres...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jules.

My car had almost 4400 miles (7000 km) but I haven't got any chip stone problem yet and also don't hear something like that here in my country.

Edited by: terapati

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a new screen the stones have now moved to the bonnet.

Chips away are looking at it for me on Tuesday. They can't do a perfect fix as that would need, sanding to flatten the damaged area then as edge to edge respray.
Hoping they can do a better job that me touching it up.
Tried before on my previous A3 and lookedawful, then again I'm not know for my patience sodelicatetouch up work isn't for me.
Anyone had dealings with chips away?

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes i had a black car repaired many years ago by chips away it was to repaire some stone chips on the bonnet,all looked ok at first but as soon as i washed it the stone chips reapeared all they had done was put some black wax in the chips and polish it

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They say there work has alifetimeguarantee, did you re contact them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No i didnt it was done through the dealership and when i complained the dealership passed it on but chips away said it must have been some thing i had done to cause the chips to reapeareand to be honest i had lost faith in themso decided to have it doneat a proper body shop who did a perfect job

·
Registered
100 Posts
Windscreen ok , but driver side window got 3 / 4 scratches on already . Only had car 5 weeks . Don't know what to do with them .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Mark, I have used Chips Away on a previous car and they did a cracking job on some stone chips and some scratches. They definitely used paint on my chips as I still have the little bottle they left me to do more if I needed. I guess it all depends on the quality of the operator on the day as its does with most things in life.......

·
Registered
613 Posts
Whitey - What's caused scratches on the side window?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts