Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's now on my list of things to try.
Have tried potato today (honest - cut in half, polish screen with cut face, allow to dry, remove residue with paper towel and a little glass cleaner). Will report back.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Have you tried Swarfega?
Oil is killed by Swarfega.............the old ones are the best, so I tell Mrs BB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is an odd on for you.There is some sort of manufacturing residue or perhaps Life-shine residue on my windscreen.It's leaving 2 near vertical marks at the end of the wiper travel. These are only visible in the rain. It's also causing a slight but annoying squeak when the wipers reach the end of their travel.So far I've tried:Screen wash neat.Glass cleaner (Autoglym)Glass polish (Autoglym)Tar remover (Autoglym)All with lots of elbow grease, but all to no avail so far.I've cleaned the wiper blades 3 times with Glass Cleaner and a clean cloth in addition to my many tries on the windscreen.I know that it's bound to wear off eventually but any thoughts would be welcome.
Have you tried clay baring the w/screen it worked on my Q3 2016

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here is an odd on for you.There is some sort of manufacturing residue or perhaps Life-shine residue on my windscreen.It's leaving 2 near vertical marks at the end of the wiper travel. These are only visible in the rain. It's also causing a slight but annoying squeak when the wipers reach the end of their travel.So far I've tried:Screen wash neat.Glass cleaner (Autoglym)Glass polish (Autoglym)Tar remover (Autoglym)All with lots of elbow grease, but all to no avail so far.I've cleaned the wiper blades 3 times with Glass Cleaner and a clean cloth in addition to my many tries on the windscreen.I know that it's bound to wear off eventually but any thoughts would be welcome.
You need MUCK OFF, a propriety cleaner used by the off road bike fraternity, used it on all of my KTMs for yonks, it should work.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If none of the 'wipe on' products work you may have better luck with a glass polishing kit.
I've used one to remove very light scratches which took hours of polishing - so it should work on contamination which seems to form a chemical bond to the glass.There are hundreds to choose from but I prefer the ones which use Flexipad polishing mops which seem to be top quality
Flexipads 75mm Windscreen Repair Kit Scratch Removal 5055142062053 | eBay

Cheers Spike

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
937 Posts
For years I have used distilled vinegar on a ratio of 1:1 with hot water to clean the cars outside windows. Apply with a lint free cloth, leave for about 15 minutes then wipe off with a lint free cloth. Do not use malt or white vinegar as they are too harsh. As regards windscreen washer fluid I have always used Car Plan on a ratio of 1:2 with water. This has always worked so I stick with it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts