Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an odd on for you.There is some sort of manufacturing residue or perhaps Life-shine residue on my windscreen.It's leaving 2 near vertical marks at the end of the wiper travel. These are only visible in the rain. It's also causing a slight but annoying squeak when the wipers reach the end of their travel.So far I've tried:Screen wash neat.Glass cleaner (Autoglym)Glass polish (Autoglym)Tar remover (Autoglym)All with lots of elbow grease, but all to no avail so far.I've cleaned the wiper blades 3 times with Glass Cleaner and a clean cloth in addition to my many tries on the windscreen.I know that it's bound to wear off eventually but any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Join the club a few of us on the forum have been plagued with this pain in the a......s problems with these marks on the screen I and others must have exhausted the cleaners on the market! They were on my old Q3 and slightly different they are on my new Q3! Stumped. There are a few stronger word I could us but better not. Audi dealers are to date no help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
aldfort said:
Here is an odd on for you.There is some sort of manufacturing residue or perhaps Life-shine residue on my windscreen.It's leaving 2 near vertical marks at the end of the wiper travel. These are only visible in the rain. It's also causing a slight but annoying squeak when the wipers reach the end of their travel.So far I've tried:Screen wash neat.Glass cleaner (Autoglym)Glass polish (Autoglym)Tar remover (Autoglym)All with lots of elbow grease, but all to no avail so far.I've cleaned the wiper blades 3 times with Glass Cleaner and a clean cloth in addition to my many tries on the windscreen.I know that it's bound to wear off eventually but any thoughts would be welcome.
I've used Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% also known as Rubbing alcohol, (via flea bay), and I've also used these...."Oven Pride Erase Away Magic Stain Remover White Foam Pads" (via Amazon UK). YMMV though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further research suggests it is possible to use clay bar with screen cleaner as the lube. If my latest effort has not worked that will be the next step.Apparently you can also get glass polish that you use with a DS polisher and a further top tip on line is to use a single edge razor blade as a scraper.All found posted by a detailer in an onlineYou-Tube video. (He uses 4 different sorts of cloth in the video as well, just on the windscreen. I wonder if this is the job for those with serious OCD)

·
Registered
150 Posts
aldfort said:
All found posted by a detailer in an online You-Tube video. (He uses 4 different sorts of cloth in the video as well, just on the windscreen. I wonder if this is the job for those with serious OCD)
Or does he have shares in microfiber cloths
Although he'd probably say they are to damaging

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, I've had the same issue, although I didn't really find it that annoying. I managed to sort the issue with the Mrs nail polish remover... (no it wasn't mine) - Also be careful not to spill on your paintwork...I was very paranoid about this...... Put some on a cloth, cleaned hard, rinsed, then repeated..... seems to have solved the issue. I then cleaned all of the screen with Mr Sheen class cleaner, then ensured wiper blades were clean..... lovely... no noisy wiper blades in the rain and a very, very cheap fix.......

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
A good cleaning with Swarfega (the smooth not the granular type!) gets rid of all grease and difficult to remove marks I find.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In the dim and distant past (before "detailers" had been heard of and valeting was something only a gentlemans "man" got up to) motor traders used old scrunched up newspapers to both dry and clean car windows after washing.
To get rid of smears they would spray a little white vinegar on the screen and then use scrunched up newspaper as before to dry.
I've used both in the past but I've used VAG screen wash for years now and I don't get any smearing problems.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Andy P said:
I've used both in the past but I've used VAG screen wash for years now and I don't get any smearing problems.
I use VAG screen wash additive too, although it doesn't always stop the squeaking when the wipers sweep down to the bottom of the screen. So I tend to use a glass cleaner immediately after washing the car and find the Autoglym product is good and does help keep it OK, removing any residue from the car 'shampoo' - again Autoglym, as I find it doesn't degrade the car polish finish as quickly as some other makes of 'shampoo'.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For clarity this is not a "smearing" problem.I agree with posters generally about using a screen cleaner after washing the car. My preference is Autoglym but I've used others and I tend to use Halfords screen wash in the washer bottle.My post is specifically about a residue that's on a new windscreen that I'm finding hard to remove. Trust me I've tried a good few things now to little effect.However perhaps the forum does also need a detailing thread?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sorry, I had missed the fact that predictive text had changed 'squeeking' to smearing in my post. Haven't had any experience of smearing. Even during this typing, predictive text wanted to change the word to 'snearing' - as if!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I understood you Aldfort........
...........and indeed there have been discussions in here about the residue left by the manufacturing process, mainly the two huge "suckers" that lift the screen into position on the assembly line, these leave a nasty pair of round marks which normally cannot be seen but when the screen is misty (inside) they are there all too obviously. Some peeps have taken the cars back and complained an have their Audi garage attempt a clean, others have cleaned it themselves (with varying degrees of success I believe), I used swarfega and then wiped over with IPA (not the beer!!!).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No marks on the inside that I can see but not had a misted up screen yet.The stuff on the outside is clearly something persistent. The wipers have "moved" it so that it forms 4 lines at the extremes of the wiper travel. It's at the point where the blade "flips" as the stroke reverses.For the info of other members I've used glass cleaner three times - no change, the stuff is still there.Glass polish three times. Getting a little bit off each time.Tar remover followed by glass cleaner - will report on the effect next time it rains.I have still to try -potato, clay bar, machine polishing and razor blade.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Still not moved mine it is really obvious when the windscreen get dust also on the rear screen it a pain but hey worse things have happened at sea as they say?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ultimate 'fix' is to either give the wiper blades a damned good clean (don't even think of using dish washing liquid) or, if that doesn't improve things, just bite the bullet and buy a new set of wiper blades. Doesn't cost the earth, even from your dealer parts department. They're quite easy to fit too.
As an aside, I've found on occasion, in the past that following a heavy truck, throwing up loads of spray, the slightly abrasive nature of the gunge on the windscreen works wonders in removing greasy residue i.e. The stuff that causes the squeaking.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oakey46 said:
Ultimate 'fix' is to either give the wiper blades a damned good clean (don't even think of using dish washing liquid) or, if that doesn't improve things, just bite the bullet and buy a new set of wiper blades. Doesn't cost the earth, even from your dealer parts department. They're quite easy to fit too.
As an aside, I've found on occasion, in the past that following a heavy truck, throwing up loads of spray, the slightly abrasive nature of the gunge on the windscreen works wonders in removing greasy residue i.e. The stuff that causes the squeaking.
Sorry I think you've missed the point. Car is brand new. Wiper blades have been cleaned 3 times. There is a persistent manufacturing residue on the screen.

·
Registered
757 Posts
aldfort said:
oakey46 said:
Sorry I think you've missed the point. Car is brand new. Wiper blades have been cleaned 3 times. There is a persistent manufacturing residue on the screen.
Apologies (again - my brain in weekend mode no doubt!). But hadn't appreciated that your Q3 is only a few weeks old. You may have mentioned it elsewhere in other posts, but I didn't obviously see it in this one. Nonetheless, I would persevere with Audi as you've tried the obvious 'remedies' that would normally be available to yourself, as opposed to what the dealer may use by way of commercial products not normally available to us mere mortals.I think it was BB who mentioned about the inside circles from the windscreen assembly process and I too have those. Fortunately, they only show up occasionally when the screen mists up on cold mornings. I've used Autoglym glass cleaner on them too, but to no avail.So, in conclusion, I apologise again and hope you soon manage to get it sorted.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tar remover was ineffective at removing the residue.I will move onto the clay bar and the single edged razor blade next and report back.For clarity every time I clean the screen a little of the residue is removed so things are getting better.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick updatetried clay bar lubricated with screen cleaner - no joy.

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
I drove back up the M40 very early yesterday morning with part of it in heavy rain and seemed to pickup a thick line of traffic film at the end of the left wiper's sweep. Was enough to make a loud noise as the blade (recently replaced) changed direction and rode over the grease line.

My solution is to soak the screen with Mr Muscle window cleaner (the green stuff), the glass must be cold, i.e. in a garage. Leave it to soak for a 5 minutes and then polish off with paper kitchen towel. Drove it today and it's about 90% done, repeat once more and it will be completely clear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts