Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another user from the other site for A3's :) and it's time to cross over. Been on the site reading up on things for a while but am now about to order but just wanted the final thoughts on fuel consumption/costs between the two. Best price I can get means it is £1000 extra for the diesel but as I intend keeping the car for a 6-7 years I can make that back in about 4 years assuming a 7 mpg difference. My main driving is rural A roads/motorways as I live in a smaller rural town.

What average consumption do owners with the either of the 40's get for similar driving?

Is there anything else in the servicing that others have seen, I know the Diesel will be a cambelt at 5yrs but is the TFSi the same.

Should I go petrol or diesel?:confused:

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Personally I'd go for petrol every time. Quieter, smoother power delivery than diesel, no mucking about with Adblue, no DPF or preheat problems, it warms up one heck of a lot quicker and unless you're doing 15,000 miles per year or more it's a no-brainer. Obviously there's a fuel consumption difference (I don't have figures to hand but I'm sure someone will chime in with them pretty promptly) but set that against the fact that a diesel is more expensive to buy, is about as popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip as far as pollution is concerned and could be tricky to sell or part-ex later on, then the answer is a simple one, I think.

Reactions: TheJam and DavidS

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with everything Gromit has said. I moved over last March from Devil's juice to petrol. I think it is also worth saying that diesel fuel costs more than petrol which must bring the driving costs closer.

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for those and agree with the perception of diesel as I would be selling probably two years before the no petrol/diesel ban comes in.
I was tending towards petrol but just need some real world consumption from a few owners to make it easier to justify to myself after 25 yrs of diesel cars.
(y)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I’m getting around 530 miles out of a tank of diesel.
Guessing around 350 if petrol.
I bought my diesel they day before they became the spawn of the devil but I will go back to petrol when I eventually change.
As Gromit says, as time goes on, the villification of diesel will probably get worse, unless the EV roll out goes pearshaped, which isn’t out of the question yet IMHO,

·
Registered
937 Posts
Audi diesel engines are very good, it's just what they are fed with that isn't. There are a number of reasons to not buy a diesel car starting with the perception that diesel is the devils fuel and this reduces significantly the overall cost of ownership. You have to consider not just the purchase price but the running costs and most importantly the trade in value when you decide to change. With the number of diesel cars on our roads reducing significantly there is a possibility that diesel fuel will increase in price due to the reduced diesel fuel sales volume. I have had my 45TFSI for 9 months and I get between 26mpg in town and 38mpg on motorways using the cruise control. The maximum I have ever had out of a tank of fuel has been 415 miles but economy is one thing, driving enjoyment is another and for me petrol is the answer.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Not much to add here, petrol all the way, diesel car sales have been falling year on year. With regard to the 6-7 year life-span you have in mind fuel consumption will be a side show compared with the depreciation....says he that bought an RSQ3 for cash and also plans to keep it for 5 or so years...same issue. :cry:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I get around 39mpg from my 2017 2.0TFSI (about 38.5 in winter, 39.5 in summer) with mainly rural driving. For comparison I got around 49mpg from my 2014 150bhp diesel.

·
Registered
863 Posts
In 49 years of riding/driving, the only time I have ever known or cared about fuel consumption was the 18 mpg of my V8 TVR and then only for about the first two days of ownership.

Reactions: Dunders

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would definitely go for the 40TFSI then get the right options for you. For me it was DSG, Comfort and Sound pack and 20" wheels (look nice but not mandatory). I ended up with Mythos Black, chosen by my boss.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Comfort and Sound Pack absolute must-have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks - I've got the Audi Sound System in my A3 and so C&S was a definite. Lowest spec would have been an Edition 1 but you now can't configure Adaptive Cruise which I have on the A3 so will probably be the Vorsprung. Just fancy all the toys and if you're going into the higher VED you might as well do it fully :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Thanks - I've got the Audi Sound System in my A3 and so C&S was a definite. Lowest spec would have been an Edition 1 but you now can't configure Adaptive Cruise which I have on the A3 so will probably be the Vorsprung. Just fancy all the toys and if you're going into the higher VED you might as well do it fully :cool:
OK, be aware that there seems to be some F3 Q3' with adaptive cruise issues - most likely a software bug. Seems it senses a vehicle in the left lane when overtaking on the motorway and decides that applying the brakes would be a fabulous idea :( .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd seen those posts as well. Will have to think about that. Just had an email from Drive the Deal and it seems Audi's prices increase on the 29th so need to decide.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Stating the obvious, you don't need to use the ACC bit of the cruise control until a software fix occur. I have had no problems with the ACC but we don't know what percentage do. You rarely hear of good news but almost always hear of bad news.

Reactions: Mr c

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all - petrol it is. have got a few online quotes and seems £6000 off list is achievable. Local dealer has one on order pipeline with the full leather so will see which colour it is. That would be June delivery so will see what the brokers have for 1st Sept where I can add the towbar.
40TFSi Vorsprung in Daytona Grey is the plan. Current A3 is the same so won't have to buy a touch up kit :cool:

·
Registered
937 Posts
That sounds superb. You will have all the goodies. Just be aware that there are quality retrofit third party towbars which are significantly cheaper than the Audi one (Westfalia, Kufatec). You will have to code the towbar in if it is a retrofit.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The fold out towbar is good but waaay too expensive. £1400 rings a bell.
The first Q3 I tried had one but they were very rare so I had to retrofit but was still around £550 ish for a removable hitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wife has a 40TFSI Vorsprung. Short trips / around town it averages around 24mpg, longer motorway journeys this increases to low to mid 30s. Ironically my TTRS was more economical which i occasionally had to point out 🤣. However also had the opportunity to drive a the diesel version and found it a lot noisier so would go for another petrol version again.

would def order a space saver tyre with the new car - cheaper than trying to retofit.

foldable towbar is £875 fitted - there’s one on wife’s car and there is a button in the boot to release in electronically - overall, it’s a very neat installation

·
Registered
863 Posts
That’s cheaper than discussions on here about 3 years or so ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts