Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering changing the wheels on my S line with the hope of achieving a less harsher ride.
The present wheels are 19" with Pirelli 255 40 P Zeros
I am proposing to go for 17" with Dunlop 235 55 Sportmax
Will I achieve a noticeable change in ride comfort?

·
Super Moderator
6,208 Posts
In a word - yes. If you haven't already, check the size and spec. of the tyres fitted to the standard 17" wheels match the ones you propose to fit. The outer tyre diameter needs to be right for all the speedo-related gubbins to work correctly.

I'd check this for you myself but it's pissing down outside.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Your insurance company would probably need to be informed as you are "modifying" your car. Especially if you're not fitting genuine Audi Q3 wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 17" wheels are genuine Audi having been taken off a new Q3.
What I don't understand is as "gromit" has said that I need to end up with identical tyre diameters.
19" = 482mm + 40 mm tyre profile = 522mm
17"= 432mm + 55mm tyre profile = 485 mm
That is quite a difference or is it the case that the"19" and"17" quoted are just nominal wheel sizes?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The overall diameter rolling circumference is dictated by the tyre width and profile, go on to a site such as etyres and look for the fitting guide, put in existing tyre size and proposed and then it works out the difference and if less than plus or minus 2% you are ok

·
Super Moderator
6,208 Posts
Here's a cut/paste from my Q3 spec sheet:-

17” x 7J ‘10-spoke' design alloy wheels with 235/55 R17 tyres.

From that it would look as if you'll be fine, but a call to an Audi dealer would really be a good idea in case you need to recalibrate the computery-thing to reflect the change in wheel/tyre size.

As observed, a call to the insurance company would be an equally good (arse-covering) idea.

You will really benefit from the change comfort-wise, and kerbs won't seem quite so worrying either.

Edited by: Gromit

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 40 50 60 etc profile figure is not mm but ratio of the tyres width so a tyre of 205 will have different sidewall heights depending on the profile. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Johns Q3 as DBQ3 has stated earlier if you go to the etyres website and put in the figures it works it all out for you, which I have just done as I am looking at going for an Sline but have a set of winter tyres for my 17" Se wheels. Nice one DBQ3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts