Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had a set of winter wheels/tyres for my car but I wasn't going to bother with the RSQ3 due to the lack of use.
Now the snow is here though I feel like I do miss having that option if needed.
I'd like to stay 20" and as RSQ3 wheels are hard to find.....and at a reasonable cost for a spare set, what wheels would work and still fit over the front calipers without issues?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Hi Ju, take a look at this link:
Audi RSQ3 (2014 - 2017) - aluminium rim. hub cap. > VAG ETKA Online > Nemiga.com

It says 18" but I'm not convinced as here isn't a busting lot of space between the caliper and the wheel. If you stayed with 20s there were one or two 255/35 R20 winter tyre options - not exactly cheap though.

When I changed tyres on the Performance I teetered on the edge of buying 'All Season' https://www.vredestein.co.uk/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tyres/product/1/255/35/20/1657-quatrac-pro

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would want to stay 20" ideally and yes I know the tyres are not cheap which is why it may not be worth it tbh.
I used the car over the last couple of days and its definitely not as sure footed as both my previous cars were on winters.
Its more under braking that you feel the difference.

·
Registered
RSQ3 Performance Dec 66 plate,
31 Posts
John Did you get the all season tyre on your last Audi, How would they compare to the summer tyre most of us have,

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
I only run 17" wheels but as mentioned previously ad nauseam, all-seasons tyres - certainly the Goodyear Vectors I run - perform as well as summer tyres in warm dry weather, and indeed warm wet weather. They're quiet, grippy and give a comfortable ride with no downside that I can ascertain. Where they really come into their own is in winrer, when they're honestlly as good as a winter tyre - excellent in snow and ice, equally excellent in cold wet, muddy conditions. They wear at least as well as standard summer tyres and the price premium isn't as much as you'd expect.

With 20" rims your choice is a bit restricted but they're still well worth it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have experience of Nokian all weather tyres on my last Q3. The only penalty was increased road noise.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
John Did you get the all season tyre on your last Audi, How would they compare to the summer tyre most of us have,
No, it worked out at around £50 a corner more than P-Zeros so I didn't. The F3 has come with Bridgstone Potenza S005 - not listed on their web site curiously and appear half worn out from new so will look for all season replacements when the time comes - they are not great in the wet.

There is a little more choice in the 255/40 R20 size the current RS has (as opposed to 255/35R20 on the 8U).

Reactions: alanyork

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It would, however there are two considerations

1) Effects speedo accuracy
2) As it's not to manufacturer specification then you run a risk in the event of an insurance claim - any excuse not to pay is seized with vigour

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
704 Posts
On my Q3 8U 45TFSI S-line I had as standard factory fit 255/40R19 tyres. I don't know if the same size rules apply to the RSQ3.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On my Q3 8U 45TFSI S-line I had as standard factory fit 255/40R19 tyres. I don't know if the same size rules apply to the RSQ3.
The general rule of thumb is, for every inch up you go on the wheel size you drop 5 off the aspect ratio
For example a 255/40/19 becomes a 255/35/20
The aspect ratio is the percentage of the tyre width

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was mainly concerned about the wheel offset. Is the standard Q3 offset the same as the RSQ3?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you’re looking for the correct offset etc for a particular model them this site gives all the specs for Audi and other cars

www.wheel-size.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts