Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Having read about trailer tyres having a shorter life, it seems it’s the sunlight (UV?) that causes the degradation, hence storage before sale is ok. Trailers or caravans presumably just sit in the light day after day.
As far as I know it applies to all tyres for all applications. While UV may speed up the process the tyre ages from the day it is made. Once past 6 years or so then it's life expired. An eagle eyed MoT inspector may pick it up, even if it looks like the tyre is in good condition.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Still got Goodyear Eagle F1 original fit on mine

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just replaced the second set of front tyres on my 2014 Q3 TDI 177hp, this set having done 35,400 miles in 2.5 years. Tread was still legal at 3.5mm, but worn on the inside edge, so had the tracking done. They were Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen1, now replaced with the Gen2 version, £240 the pair including all the usual guff. Rears, same type and fitted at the same time, still at around 5mm. Very happy with them, but then I’m not a boy racer nor an off-road fanatic (well, I am on my motorbike, but that’s a very different story). Never had any cause for concern. I’d recommend them for ‘regular’ driving (and should be good in the snow, but never had the opportunity to test them in those conditions, global warming ‘n all).

Reactions: Gromit

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
Concur all the way through, Rosko. Mine are Gen 1 and after 22,000 miles are still showing 5mm plus all round. Excellent performance and grip in all conditions including snow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you put any dressing on your tyres it's worth making sure it's moisturising the rubber rather than one that will draw the oils out of it. Some of the aerosol ones do that and you end up with brown, cracked tyres.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts