Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to all tyres cracking, im thinking of replacing all 4 on the quattro.... Something thats going to last, hankook are on at the moment, ive been thinking of Bridgestone or something good, size is 235/50/18

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
As most of you are already painfully aware, I've been running Goodyear Vector 4Seasons tyres for the last 22,000 miles and absolutely love 'em. They do exactly as it says on the tin - excellent in all conditions from snow to a heatwave via heavy rain, standing water and icy slush - they aren't that expensive these days and I still have a good 5mm left on them.

Reactions: Vw754

·
Registered
554 Posts
My old Q3 had Nokian all weather tyres and my new Q3 has Hankook summer tyres. Tyres come down to personal preference, the car characteristics and the way that the car is driven. I would recommend Nokian but they are noisier than other manufacturers. I can't tell you about the Hankook's as I've only done 140 miles in the new Q3. However, I would recommend using tyre black on the tyres outside walls every time you wash the car as it stops the tyres from cracking.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My old Q3 had Nokian all weather tyres and my new Q3 has Hankook summer tyres. Tyres come down to personal preference, the car characteristics and the way that the car is driven. I would recommend Nokian but they are noisier than other manufacturers. I can't tell you about the Hankook's as I've only done 140 miles in the new Q3. However, I would recommend using tyre black on the tyres outside walls every time you wash the car as it stops the tyres from cracking.
All these hankook tyres are cracked both inner and outer edges, i personally think they are just crap, im thinking of going Bridgestone or something with a good make.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It sounds like the oil in the tyre is drying out which would indicate a faulty tyre design or maybe a faulty batch. Do you know which Hankook tyre you are using and how many miles you have done on them? I have had experience of Bridgestone on my old RS3 and they were superb.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The tyres on my new Q3 are Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 SUV, 255/40R20 101Y.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No idea, not had car long, owner before me not done more than 2500 miles per year, tyres are 5 years old

·
Registered
180 Posts
Supplied with Continental Contact 6, 255/35R, 21XL, seem good so far at 2K miles.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got contact 6 on my A5.... Purchased brand new, 7,000 miles and front left with 2mm,rears still have 4mm.....crap wear rate in my opinion, Bridgestone lasted me 15,000 on front same car, hopefully you get more out of em if you're lucky.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have been on to a friend of mine who works for Goodyear in customer support. He said that tyre cracking normally occurs due to the age of a tyre, not mileage or over/under inflation. He recommends that tyres are inspected after 5 years and changed at 6. These are not hard and fast rules but he knows that these apply to other manufacturers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know tyres have a life expectancy of about 6 years, these hankook ones are dated e 2015, and in my opinion shouldn't be cracking, just a crap tyre.... The other car i av tyres are continental 3 and 15 years old, look bloody brilliant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Due to all tyres cracking, im thinking of replacing all 4 on the quattro.... Something thats going to last, hankook are on at the moment, ive been thinking of Bridgestone or something good, size is 235/50/18
Michelin Cross Climate. Only covered about 2K so far but really pleased with grip, comfort and noise. Worth a look.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am not trying to defend Hankook tyres, far from it. I am trying to understand if they are just crap tyres or if there is an underlying reason for the cracking. I have these by default on my new Q3 and I am currently slightly concerned as cracking in tyres is potentially very dangerous.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wasn't implying that you were so my apologies if its come across as that.
Yea I've heard can be dangerous

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Earlier this year I discovered the hard way that tyre cracking is an MoT failure. I had to replace all four on Mrs G's '59 plate A3 Sportback due to cracking. Ten years old (original fit) but only 10,000 miles from them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Tyres have always had a life, irrespective of wear. most organisations seem to suggest 6 years is the shelf life from date of manufacture, not date of fitting. that manufacturing date is the 4 digit code that is part of tyhe DOT code.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Having read about trailer tyres having a shorter life, it seems it’s the sunlight (UV?) that causes the degradation, hence storage before sale is ok. Trailers or caravans presumably just sit in the light day after day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts