Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experimented with this, especially for the interior? I have never been bowled over by the no alternative"exclusive" brushed aluminium S line interior trims and am thinking of having a go at changingto a carbon fibre effect.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I used to frequent babybmw.net and bimmerpost.com when i had my bmw's, plenty of people on there wrapped their trim in carbon fibre wrap. It didn't look difficult and you can get good results for little cost

You'll probably find somebody on ebay who'll do it for you if you don't mind driving around trim less while it's away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, sounds promising - and cheap!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You might want to practice before trying it on your pride and joy

Post some pics please if you give it a go, i'm a nosy sod...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. anyone know how the trims come off? Otherwise it may work just applying to them in situ. it seems reading other sites that a hair dryer will soften the vinyl and if there's a small margin it could be poked in round the edges. It needs a pattern to be made but not that hard with a piece of paper I reckon. The same hair dryer lets you get the vinyl off if it goes wrong - allegedly.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think a hair dryer is the way to apply it, no idea how the trims come off but usually these things just pop off. The one round the gear lever might be more difficult though, other sites seem to favour taking the trim off so you can wrap the fibre round the back for a neat finish.
I was tempted to give it a go on my last bmw, i planned to do it when my other half is out or she may get upset with me using her hair dryer in the garage to heat up the wrap. Yes i'm one of those guys who have used the dishwasher in the past to clean auto parts 
Edited by: reilsab

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the trim removal photos. The door ones look ok but I didn't fancy the centre console. So I chickened out and applied the vinyl to the trim in place, making a pattern for the centre console. Door and front trim were done using a rectangle of the right size and trimming. It has worked better than I expected, though my wallpapering experiencecame in handy, mainly not panicking when creases appeared. The main issue is cutting round the vinyl but luckily there is a gap round the trim and if you go very carefully the scalpel blade fits in and it's done easily with no damagein a few seconds. A finger nail creases the vinyl to give an exact position to insert and slide the knife along. Getting the wrap round the edge fully is notpossible but I think it is acceptable and no risk to damaging the trim by breaking off tabs and the centre console looks a step too far for me.

It is very easy to take the vinyl off again as a false start confirmed. Just heat with the hair dryer and it peels away.

Some photos, the last one with the LED lights on.

PS Just seen the Q3 RS3 photos on this very site and guess what? It has carbon fibre trims just like these sticky back plastic ones.

Edited by: drjamesr

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I do like the look of that, nice job

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

I got it from http://www.flamingwheels.co.uk/ on ebay. It's the bubble free version of silver 3D carbon fibre and 1500mm by 300 was more than enough and it cost £4:95 with free next day delivery. Lots of others to choose from as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts