Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am in the process of choosing equipment for my new Audi Q3.
I read several reviews that mention that they have tested it with the variable dampers option which comes on top of the Audi Drive Select system, but I cannot find a proper review where they have tested the standard suspension, so I am wondering if the variable one is much better and how does the standard one compares to that? Has somebody test driven one with and without these so can compare how the drive is?

Some more detailed technical article about the suspension will be nice as well. I wan't to know how it functions and is it really worth it.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Mecceto, I have the damper control system on my SE and have only just tried it out today. I have only had the car a week and a half and still learning about the new technology. What I can tell you is that with the drive set to Comfort mode you can notice a difference compared to the other settings i.e. auto and efficiency but as yet I have not tried it in dynamic mode. The ride is more comfortable over rough sections of country roads and potholes but not to such an extent that it is too soft. I also believe it will vary depending on what size wheels and tryes you have fitted. I currently am running on winter wheels and tyres and the tyre compound is softer so will have to compare again when I change back to summer tyres, so, it may be a while !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

My concern is not too much with going with different setting, but I was wondering if the Comfort mode with the this system is more comfortable then the ordinary passive suspension? (If you have test driven one without this system), while still not being willowy and rolling in corners.
I am assuming this, as I think the system can adjust separate damping force on separate wheels, so when cornering it can stiffen the suspension on inner wheels... and while driving normally it can make them softer.
In contrast with this, I would guess that normal passive suspension will need to be some compromise between ride comfort and holding the vehicle in place in corners, set during design time and for all wheels all the time - so I guess it cannot be made as soft as Comfort mode or as good in corners as the Dynamic mode - but this is just my theory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts