Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,</font>Whilst waiting for mine I was mulling recently
</font></font>I understand the 'sailing/coasting' concept when going down hills etc when using economy mode in the drive select menu on S-Tronics but just wondered if you were going down a long/steep hill with cruise control on whether or not the car brakes for you (like some cars can do) or whether it just gathers speed until you intervene.</font></font>If anyone has tried all that it might be of interest
</font>Gary

·
Registered
264 Posts
cruise control does slow you down to the set speed or speeds you up if you come to a slight incline while running at a set speed , you just let it do it , you will feel it accelerate slighty or decelerate to keep to your set speed .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tks, but my current car throttles off but doesn't brake so it kinda slows but down a steep hill I was wondering as the Q3 is effectively in neutral whether it brakes or not. My current car does actually speed up down a big long hill but eventually settles to it's chosen cruise. Hopefully all that waffle is clear
</font>

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think Audi cruise control now has a braking function. There is a possible way of testing to find out. Set the cruise control to say 60mph (assuming this is legal), and set economy mode. Having checked there is nothing behind you (!) adjust the cruise control to say 40mph, and see what happens. On a normal Audi cruise control there will be a very sharp braking effect.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine does it, but I think it's cleverer than just braking. The way it feels is that it is using the energy management system in modern Audi's to use the alternator/generator to recuperate energy into the battery. The extra drag caused as the generator overruns will have a corresponding braking effect, which is handy.

At least, that seems to be the way my A6 handles. Of course I may be wrong, in which case it may be the ABS system actually applying the brakes, but this just seems to be wasting energy in a supposed energy efficient system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts