Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy ya'll
Apologies for that, but a month after taking delivery of my Q3, I had to move stateside for 3 months to work, and i'm sorry to say i'm adapting to the local lingo!
I miss my Q3 sooooo much; whilst here in Houston i'm driving a hired Jeep Grand Cherokee which isn't too bad (nice to drive a smooth V6 petrol!) but not a patch on the Q3. And the wife told me today that my beloved new car hasn't been washed since I left in early April! Women!
They don't sell them here Q3's, not women) , but accordingly to some online research, there are rumours it will be here next year.
My Q3 is a manual, and I thought after driving an auto (no "stick shifts" here!) I would find it hard to go back to manual, but i'm actually looking forward to it, as it gives me far more control and makes me feel more connected with the car.
Any thoughts from you good folks out there of manual vs.auto? Anyone else with experience of driving in the U.S.?

·
Registered
32 Posts
</font>Know how you feel had a Jetta for three weeks while in
Florida a week or so ago roar like a badger's tagger before it changed up well 3000 revs anyway eventual
I got around to using the DSG which at least made me feel more in charge and
keep the engine noise down. What I did gleam was that there is talk of it Q3 being
produced at their Volkswagen factory in Chattanooga although the Q7, Q5 are
available in the StatesIt has been reported the Q3is to go on sale in Canada next year but
has not been confirmed by Audi.</font></font><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /></font></font>

</font>
Edited by: californiadreamin

·
Registered
613 Posts
American Auto-Boxes always seemed about 20 years behind the times!

I hired a people-carrier to carry four adults and a baby, and was offered a column-shift Ford Windstar (like a Galaxy?) - but couldn't get my luggage in, so they gave me a Ford Excursion instead - which was an SUV the size of a medium sized shop - and had an 8 litre V10 engine... with a 3 speed Auto + Overdrive!

Gear changes (downshifts) when going up hill were like being kicked in the gentlemans area by a large animal! Mind you, it only cost $50 to fill the tank....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi GlenAlthough I have driven vehicles with automatic transmission - mainly hire cars on holiday - my recently acquired Q3 S line is the 2 litre TD with Stronic 7 speed gearbox and is the first automatic I have purchased.It is by farthe bestdecision I made aswhen youwant to be boy-racer it has the manual mode with paddles on the steering wheel for gear changes.In addition to above, it has the Sport mode in automatic which accelerates faster and changes gear evenquicker than the manual! Goes like shale off a shovel!Very pleased.RegardsMal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi all,
Thanks for your replies and interesting views/experiences!Strange how old habits die hard....although only 50 bucks (there I go again...) to fill the tank here, I still find myself driving with a light right foot as I do at home. The torque of the big engines here is similar to a diesel, so you don't have to rev the knackers off them.
I do enjoy being able to overtake on the inside though, even if it does make for some interesting experiences on a 7 lane freeway! No more middle lane dawdlers holding up the traffic.
Didn't realise the Q7/5 were built here.....does anyone know if BMW's are too? A colleague gave me a lift in his X5 the other day, and I thought the ride and interior quality were awful, surprised me given BMW's so-called premium position in the market.
I reckon the Q3 would sell really well here....there do seem to be more and more "compacts" on the roads, and they love their SUV's.....we all know the Q3 is the perfect combination of both and the best car of the decade!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I quite like American cars and did 3000 miles in a fortnight in a Ford Fusion recently. I was surprised when the auto box kicked down a gear at 104mph! I also found that the cruise control didn't set above 99mph. Saw a sign in Rapid City which informed me that the next McDonald's was 205 miles away and another day the sat-nav told me to "stay on this road for 419 miles"! I hired a sat-nav with US maps loaded before I went and it was an excellent service. Yes, I got done for speeding (93 in a 65) but I deserved it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts