Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tell me about it, the more you look the more picky you get lol
I know i would take a lower mile 14 plate as long is it can be safely mapped which looks like it can got to have bose etc theres under 30 cars under my budget nationally so so rare if i wanted a 3.0 tdi a6 there would be 5 within 30 miles lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for your reply i can live without the fl perks if the grunt is there after stage 1 i have never mapped a car so will try stock first but i thought my m140 was slow mainly from traction issues so i doubt stock will blow me away but we will see. Your not near cheshire/ north wales are you? Lol
No worries. Unfortunately not,near Birmingham,or I’d be happy to take you for a spin in mine so you could get a feel for it.You definitely won’t get traction issues with the RS,you can feel the Haldex kick in when things get a little damp,etc,and the car just bites into the tarmac and catapults itself down the road,it’s genuinely quick,the effect I feel is heightened by the fact an suv just shouldn’t go like this 😉 Just for your knowledge,I bought my car Nov18,from Birmingham Audi,used approved 38k on the clock and paid £26k. I wouldn’t worry too much about values on the usual buying websites,to give you an idea,about a month after I bought mine,there was a bout of carjacking/house break-ins in my area. My wife said “I can’t sleep,I’m paranoid it’ll be us next....get rid of it” Reluctantly I called into our local Audi stealer ship to see what they give me on it against something less noticeable....£19k was their best offer....”Not a car we’d really want on the forecourt Sir,too niche” And that was the end,I’m glad to say,of me letting go of the RS,the love affair goes on💕 It’s an addictive mistress🤣 Some good advice given from John,hello John,hope you are well and the Daytona beast continues to excite.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No worries. Unfortunately not,near Birmingham,or I’d be happy to take you for a spin in mine so you could get a feel for it.You definitely won’t get traction issues with the RS,you can feel the Haldex kick in when things get a little damp,etc,and the car just bites into the tarmac and catapults itself down the road,it’s genuinely quick,the effect I feel is heightened by the fact an suv just shouldn’t go like this 😉 Just for your knowledge,I bought my car Nov18,from Birmingham Audi,used approved 38k on the clock and paid £26k. I wouldn’t worry too much about values on the usual buying websites,to give you an idea,about a month after I bought mine,there was a bout of carjacking/house break-ins in my area. My wife said “I can’t sleep,I’m paranoid it’ll be us next....get rid of it” Reluctantly I called into our local Audi stealer ship to see what they give me on it against something less noticeable....£19k was their best offer....”Not a car we’d really want on the forecourt Sir,too niche” And that was the end,I’m glad to say,of me letting go of the RS,the love affair goes on💕 It’s an addictive mistress🤣 Some good advice given from John,hello John,hope you are well and the Daytona beast continues to excite.
Thanks the traction is great to know i am sick of rwd lol scares the kids too much. Have any of you guys had any reliability issues? Wow there shocking the trade in values i do feel i will lose a tonne on a 310 though 3 years down the line 😭 but unless its a 997 turbo most cars drop i guess

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
120 Posts
Too early for me to say as I've only had mine for 3 months and 1k miles, 250 of that was the drive home.
The only thing I've done is change the pads to ebc redstuff.
The fronts to fully replace are £1k with the discs being basically oem only!
I had new discs and pads as part of the deal but the oem pads wear the discs, whereas the redstuff don't. At least that's what I've been told lol.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Main dealers are renowned for low balling with the p/x . They offered me £21.5k max for the SQ5, I sold it private for £25

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Too early for me to say as I've only had mine for 3 months and 1k miles, 250 of that was the drive home.
The only thing I've done is change the pads to ebc redstuff.
The fronts to fully replace are £1k with the discs being basically oem only!
I had new discs and pads as part of the deal but the oem pads wear the discs, whereas the redstuff don't. At least that's what I've been told lol.
I have heard that mate one of the first mods to do how much were the ebc red stuffs if you dont mind me asking? Thanks. Cannot decide to go audi main dealer with warranty but higher miles or normal garage with less miles😒

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks the traction is great to know i am sick of rwd lol scares the kids too much. Have any of you guys had any reliability issues? Wow there shocking the trade in values i do feel i will lose a tonne on a 310 though 3 years down the line 😭 but unless its a 997 turbo most cars drop i guess
I had the Haldex pump fail on mine,luckily was picked up when the car was in for warranty work on reversing sensors. This was covered too,or I would’ve been looking at the best part of £1k to fix it. As has been said,they are expensive to run,and the RS tax is hefty should you be daft enough to use main dealers. Find a good Indy for servicing & repairs is the way to go. My service last month for oil/filter air & cabin filter

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought the front and rear for just over £200.
Only you can decide where to buy but I always buy main dealer for the warranty as its the best.
They do special offers on used from time to time, I got 2 years with mine plus 2 years AA cover

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fat fingers🤬 As I was saying my service as above was £185,can’t complain with that,there’s about 7ltrs of oil alone in that if I remember correctly 🤔

·
Registered
61 Posts
Want an honest review of the car? I've had mine for about 2 years now if memory serves me right.

Pros:
Off the line it's immediate, the gearing is superb and it doesn't hang about for the absolute majority of the time (see cons relating to gearbox). 310bhp is more than enough for pootling around town and doing motorway runs.
Traction is superb, we've got the stock tyres on which are grippy in every condition I've thrown it at. I've forgotten the brand, P-zero's I think?
Fuel economy is OK if you're feathering it
Comfort is fine, the big wheels and low profile tyres can be jarring on crappy surfaces, but otherwise nicely compliant
It sounds great between gear changes with a nice 'boof' sound from the exhaust
The panoramic sunroof is nice in the summer and lets you hear that engine and exhaust properly when you boot it
Build quality is superb in the cabin
Not had any reliability issues other than the ABS light flaring up once, it was a bit of grit or something that got in there and made it error, never came back and we've been issue free with daily use, so far. Touch wood it stays this way!

Cons:
Steering...oh my god the steering, it's so woefully bad. Almost the worst for feedback (or total lack thereof) I've ever felt. You might as well be steering it with an Xbox controller
Fuel - it'll GUZZLE it in traffic and when you boot it, but then why buy a motor like this if fuel usage is a concern
Ergonomics - I've 6ft1, size 9.5 feet, legs are average length. The throttle is SO vertical that my right shin starts to ache like an absolute bastid after a while, not a fan. I have to retract the seat absolutely as far back as it'll go to get a comfyish position
Paint - OK but typically Audi in that any bird sh*t left for more than a few seconds will eat into the clear coat and leave a nice poop shaped mark. Rotary polisher and cutting compound required to remove these
Gearbox can get a bit bamboozled when jamming the throttle and it definitely has more lag on some occasions than others, even when in the same gear and climate. No idea what that's all about but I imagine it's ECU related to maintain engine safety. The DCT can be a bit jarring off the line but you get used to it.

I am spoiled though in that I have an Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce and the steering and feedback is absolutely sublime in every conceivable way, the ride is also spectacular along with the godlike ergonomics - so driving the two back to back will make the Audi's many weaknesses shine like the north star.

So I'd recommend getting one if you want performance and a bit of height and space. The boot is JUST wide enough to fit a normal sized pram sideways (you do have to jam it in there mind you!) and it goes like stink and sounds good, gets a fair few looks in the nice red we bought it in. I got it with 26k on the clock for £24500 on the dot. They had to replace all the front pads and discs so they lost a fair bit on the sale to me 😂 No idea if we'll keep it, but the Mrs likes it and it does help cart my son around a bit easier than the Alfa (easier to get him in/out, etc). Just get it remapped to 400bhp, the engine is detuned anyway and this engine is known to take big numbers easily (albeit it with cooling mods, etc) but I'm yet to read ANYTHING other than one uneducated 'horror' story about fuelling issues (do enough research and you'll see it's either a made-up story or a complete anomaly). If in doubt, just get a TDI tuning box, I have one on the Alfa and it's definitely added the 80ish BHP it promotes - it whips the Audi on the straights now with ease. Can remove if anything goes bang and it's traceless, meaning warranty will remain intact.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Fat fingers🤬 As I was saying my service as above was £185,can’t complain with that,there’s about 7ltrs of oil alone in that if I remember correctly 🤔
Great price that i wont be using audi stealers either i believe you have to get plugs off them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Want an honest review of the car? I've had mine for about 2 years now if memory serves me right.

Pros:
Off the line it's immediate, the gearing is superb and it doesn't hang about for the absolute majority of the time (see cons relating to gearbox). 310bhp is more than enough for pootling around town and doing motorway runs.
Traction is superb, we've got the stock tyres on which are grippy in every condition I've thrown it at. I've forgotten the brand, P-zero's I think?
Comfort is fine, the big wheels and low profile tyres can be jarring on crappy surfaces, but otherwise nicely compliant
The panoramic sunroof is nice in the summer and lets you hear that engine and exhaust properly when you boot it
Not had any reliability issues other than the ABS light flaring up once, it was a bit of grit or something that got in there and made it error, never came back and we've been issue free with daily use, so far. Touch wood it stays this way!

Cons:
Steering...oh my god the steering, it's so woefully bad. Almost the worst for feedback (or total lack thereof) I've ever felt. You might as well be steering it with an Xbox controller
Fuel - it'll GUZZLE it in traffic and when you boot it, but then why buy a motor like this if fuel usage is a concern
Ergonomics - I've 6ft1, size 9.5 feet, legs are average length. The throttle is SO vertical that my right shin starts to ache like an absolute bastid after a while, not a fan. I have to retract the seat absolutely as far back as it'll go to get a comfyish position
Paint - OK but typically Audi in that any bird sh*t left for more than a few seconds will eat into the clear coat and leave a nice poop shaped mark. Rotary polisher and cutting compound required to remove these
Gearbox can get a bit bamboozled when jamming the throttle and it definitely has more lag on some occasions than others, even when in the same gear and climate. No idea what that's all about but I imagine it's ECU related to maintain engine safety. The DCT can be a bit jarring off the line but you get used to it.

I am spoiled though in that I have an Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce and the steering and feedback is absolutely sublime in every conceivable way, the ride is also spectacular along with the godlike ergonomics - so driving the two back to back will make the Audi's many weaknesses shine like the north star.

So I'd recommend getting one if you want performance and a bit of height and space. The boot is JUST wide enough to fit a normal sized pram sideways (you do have to jam it in there mind you!) and it goes like stink and sounds good, gets a fair few looks in the nice red we bought it in. I got it with 26k on the clock for £24500 on the dot. They had to replace all the front pads and discs so they lost a fair bit on the sale to me 😂 No idea if we'll keep it, but the Mrs likes it and it does help cart my son around a bit easier than the Alfa (easier to get him in/out, etc). Just get it remapped to 400bhp, the engine is detuned anyway and this engine is known to take big numbers easily (albeit it with cooling mods, etc) but I'm yet to read ANYTHING other than one uneducated 'horror' story about fuelling issues (do enough research and you'll see it's either a made-up story or a complete anomaly). If in doubt, just get a TDI tuning box, I have one on the Alfa and it's definitely added the 80ish BHP it promotes - it whips the Audi on the straights now with ease. Can remove if anything goes bang and it's traceless, meaning warranty will remain intact.
Thanks for the review mate i kind of guessed with the steering numbness but all quattros do my old tts was the same. Love alfas i would have a gulia quad anyday. I have heard the tdi boxes are good but also trash have you had yours dynoed? Would be worth it while under warranty. Would you of considered an sq5? What would you replace the rs with?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm 6'3 with size 12 feet and don't have an issue with the seating/feet position. I have heard its a slightly changed position though in the FL model so maybe that makes a difference?
It would be interesting to hear from anyone thats had a 310 and a 340 as I would imagine there to be a number of differences that are more than skin deep tbh

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
70 Posts

Pros:

Cons:

Some good points made here. Could I just say that it’s a little unfair to compare an SUV’s handling,even an RS from 2014,with a saloon that came out in I think 2018? My son has the exact model of Alfa you have,bought new in 2019,at around £40k. It’s a beautiful car,spectacular to look at,and he’s a definite Alfa junkie,he’s had the Mito,GT,Brera and the Guilia over the last decade. Would I swap my RS for his Guilia.....? Not a chance. It’s like comparing apples with oranges,completely different cars,not really relevant comparison imo. No offence meant,by the way,just my 2p’s worth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm 6'3 with size 12 feet and don't have an issue with the seating/feet position. I have heard its a slightly changed position though in the FL model so maybe that makes a difference?
It would be interesting to hear from anyone thats had a 310 and a 340 as I would imagine there to be a number of differences that are more than skin deep tbh
[/QUOTE
Great price that i wont be using audi stealers either i believe you have to get plugs off them?
Ive not had to change my plugs yet,but yes,I believe the plugs are Audi only. Made by Beru I believe. I was actually going to get my plugs changed last service,about 5000 miles before I needed to,purely because I’ll probably be over the 20k recommendation by the time my next service falls due. My guy told me not to be overly worried with the 20k replacement guidance,his view is with using quality fuel VPower/Momentum as I always do,I’d know when the plugs need changing due to rougher running. He dislikes changing plugs unnecessarily as he feels it runs the risk of potentially damaging the coil packs to get to the plugs. I’m a very ocd owner,and really over service my cars,ie all filters changed every year over & above Audis schedule,so it isn’t out of a desire to save money,I trust my guy’s judgement.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good luck in your search rsq31991... JohnLondon review is spot on to be fair regarding pros and cons... I have the 310 model, not driven the 340/367 so can't compare but for everyday use the I've never thought the 310hp "lacks" when you boot her if you know what I mean. I have a Cete AVC like others which means you can have the valves open in "normal" driving as opposed to the "sport" setting which is a bit harsh for normal driving conditions.
I paid £24.5k in June19 with 11.5k on the clock from main dealer. She still only clock's 23.5k miles now due to Covid driving restrictions.
We buy any car looks like £20.5k trade in with them at min so I would expect more private. Don't forget the new F3 model will push residuals down on the 8U now.

Ive not been back to main dealer since buying and use a decent Indy to look after mine, touch wood, no issues to report. (y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Good luck in your search rsq31991... JohnLondon review is spot on to be fair regarding pros and cons... I have the 310 model, not driven the 340/367 so can't compare but for everyday use the I've never thought the 310hp "lacks" when you boot her if you know what I mean. I have a Cete AVC like others which means you can have the valves open in "normal" driving as opposed to the "sport" setting which is a bit harsh for normal driving conditions.
I paid £24.5k in June19 with 11.5k on the clock from main dealer. She still only clock's 23.5k miles now due to Covid driving restrictions.
We buy any car looks like £20.5k trade in with them at min so I would expect more private. Don't forget the new F3 model will push residuals down on the 8U now.

Ive not been back to main dealer since buying and use a decent Indy to look after mine, touch wood, no issues to report. (y)
Thanks mate hope i find a nice one was yours 2 year warranty? Yeah its no slouch but i have had a few nuts cars so i guess its what your used to. Yours has great miles probably 22k private similar mileage to your in a garage seems to be 23k

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some good points made here. Could I just say that it’s a little unfair to compare an SUV’s handling,even an RS from 2014,with a saloon that came out in I think 2018? My son has the exact model of Alfa you have,bought new in 2019,at around £40k. It’s a beautiful car,spectacular to look at,and he’s a definite Alfa junkie,he’s had the Mito,GT,Brera and the Guilia over the last decade. Would I swap my RS for his Guilia.....? Not a chance. It’s like comparing apples with oranges,completely different cars,not really relevant comparison imo. No offence meant,by the way,just my 2p’s worth.
Not saying anything about the handling, it's the feedback and steering. The alfa smashes the audi in every conceivable way, it's just so much better to drive. I don't really consider the RSQ3 an suv, it's more of a hatchback on stilts. Too tall to be a proper hatchback and too low and small to be a proper suv. But I get what you're saying. The alfa doesn't get the rave reviews for nothing, I promise! The Stelvio Veloce is a contender for our next shared car, let's put it that way. None of this or the mini review are harsh criticisms of the q3 to be fair, I have a place in my heart for the q3, it's a great little car if mainly for the engine, so much character and hammers the alfa's 4 pot in terms of sound and engagement, it's just literally everywhere else that the alfa beats it.

@1991 - don't think I'd get an sq5, as the car will never really solely be for me, it'll always be my wife's main car (she's 5ft on a good day) so the q3 is a great size for her. However, a friend of mine and my brother in law both have one and they LOVE them. I've never driven one so I wouldn't dream of putting an opinion on one. Best bet is to find a dealer that has both and test drive back to back 👍

Regarding the TDI box, not had it on a dyno but it's easy enough to switch off as I have the Bluetooth model. I can do immediate back to back comparisons and the mid range is daft when it's put to the highest setting, in anything other than bone dry conditions it lights the rear wheels up in second and third really quite easily. Tyres are stock ditch finders though so that's no surprise, but the take home is that TDI tuning make quality products and I can vouch for the effectiveness. You should be able to buy a used one and have it reprogrammed for the q3, but not sure of the cost effectiveness so worth researching new price versus used unit & reprogrammed cost via TDI. Also be careful to make sure the unit is suitable as they do vary from one engine to another, most are just two sensors though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks mate hope i find a nice one was yours 2 year warranty? Yeah its no slouch but i have had a few nuts cars so i guess its what your used to. Yours has great miles probably 22k private similar mileage to your in a garage seems to be 23k
I tried my hardest for 2 years warranty but they wouldn't budge so only got 12 months. I understood why a few months down the line.... They made sod all on my deal, I ended up knowing the original owner as he drank in my local lol. They gave him 23.5k so only made 1k... Probably less after they prepped the car for me 😂
I think the gas guzzlers were not flavour of the month when I got mine and they wanted rid it seems... Just got lucky. I think RS models are back in demand now.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts