Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have just sold my m140i and ideally want an rsq3 i was ment to have one delivered this wednesday but some scumbag has stole it from the seller!. I dont want to rush in but i have had c63 m3s etc in the past so i want a nice one. My budget is 21k for one under 50k miles but this only gets me a 310 model the one i was due to get was a 340 private sale. My first question is the 310 model is a bit down on power so can you remap that to 400 bhp like the 340 model? As revo wont map the 310 but do the 340 but apr will to the same result??. Also would you guys buy out of warranty anything to check? I know discs and service etc. And the Big question is i have heard and seen but not drove the sq5 are they really sounding v8 good? How do they compare to the rsQ3 ? I prefer the look of the sQ5 but oil burners are against the grain for me lol cheers guys

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Welcome to the club.

I'll have a go here having owned two 313PS Diesel SQ5s and now on my 3rd RSQ3.

An RSQ3 theft is just about unheard of as the model is so rare, they don't have the same notoriety as other RS models.

I'm never driven a 310, I've owned a 2015 340PS and a 2016 367PS Performance. The 340/367 models are all FL - facelift cars with the LED headlights (which are very good). When Audi upped the performance of the 310 to 340 it wasn't just a remap, the engine received changes including new fuel injectors etc - probably why Revo (and for whom I have much respect for) don't offer a remaps. There have been people on other forums that have had 310 remaps and suffered fuel starvation issues.

If I were you I'd wait for the right RSQ3, go for a facelift 340PS if you can, aside from the LED headlights there were updated dynamic indicator rear lights, a lower driver's seat, an electric tailgate and an improved parcel shelf design. Although you might aspire to the very rare (85 in the UK) performance model they don't drive any differently than the 340.

Owning.
RSQ3

The RSQ3 is an all out performance car with both a stellar engine and aural sound track to match (not synthetic) with brakes that reset expectations, those 8 pot Brembo calipers are awesome. You need the brakes because the RS's higher centre of gravity means that cornering is less competent than a hot hatch, so you blast down the straights shed the speed with the fabulous stoppers and blast out of the bend - it's addictive and really good fun. I've written many times that the RSQ3 is Audi's best kept secret. They are not cheap to own, a voracious appetite for fuel, spark plugs every 20,000 miles at £200 a set, tyres 255/35 R20, about 18,000 miles a set etc.

SQ5
The SQ5 with it's bi-turbo engine is punchy vehicle off the line, it has a box in the exhaust system that creates a synthetic lazy V8 sound. The SQ5 is large and whilst it has the pace it doesn't have either the suspension or the brakes to match the go. I have memories for sprinting (at legal speeds) between the roundabouts in Milton Keynes and discovering brake fade on the 4th island....scary. Fuel economy (actual) was high 20s low 30s - close to the RSQ3.

Reactions: -Ju-

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
117 Posts
Well said John!

I have recent experience of both a 2015 SQ5 and 2016 340 bhp RSQ3.
The SQ5 was a great car, quick in a straight line and surprisingly nice sounding (most of the time) for a diesel.
A great car for motorway cruising with adequate brakes but let down a little when it comes to the corners.
I had bilstein and eibachs on mine and even then that 2 tonne really does show when stopping and cornering.
The RSQ3 in comparison is epic. It really does feel like a performance car in comparison.
Much more rewarding to drive and feels every bit an RS.
As John says its worth getting the 340 if poss just for the better headlights and increase in power but I'm sure you'll be happy with a 310 if its been looked after and spec'd well.
As for fuel......jeez I struggle to get into the low 20's around town, the SQ5 was high 20's easy!..........Still would take the RSQ3 any day of the week(y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys its just the 340 is kind of out of budget at the moment i wish the 310 was just a map difference. Its super annoying some tuners like more bhp and apr are saying there is literally no difference apart from the map and a 310 can be 410ps stage 1 no issues but i hear you guys and many others disagree grr so annoying if anyone you know is selling a 340 let me know. I still think the sq5 looks better but coming from v8s i think i will quickly hate it although i feel its better looking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
APR can and will easily and safely remap the 310 to 400bhp. Don't need to worry about anything, it works just fine 👍
Wow see buy why do revo not touch a 310? Have you had this done yourself? Just bugs me the rumours around the 310 and why a huge firm wont touch them and another will with no fuel pump upgrades

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks guys its just the 340 is kind of out of budget at the moment i wish the 310 was just a map difference. Its super annoying some tuners like more bhp and apr are saying there is literally no difference apart from the map and a 310 can be 410ps stage 1 no issues but i hear you guys and many others disagree grr so annoying if anyone you know is selling a 340 let me know. I still think the sq5 looks better but coming from v8s i think i will quickly hate it although i feel its better looking.
I do tend to agree with you, I think overall the SQ5 is better looking, however even if you buy an SQ5, you'll still want an RSQ3 trust me lol
I've always thought you have to be flexible with budgets as that ideal car is always just over lol

Reactions: EasyTyler

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do tend to agree with you, I think overall the SQ5 is better looking, however even if you buy an SQ5, you'll still want an RSQ3 trust me lol
I've always thought you have to be flexible with budgets as that ideal car is always just over lol
Wow you are so right here i had a 2016 lined up with 52k on for 21300 so its heart wrenching and not possible to pay 24k for the same car and i can use the wifes but with 2 kids its stressful just having 1 but i dont want to rush it the sq5 is so much easier to get into. Theres a nice grey rs in evans halshaw for 19k but no warranty etc 47k 310 model but i am thinking to buy that put a stage 1 tune on and just smile lol. Just scared of ruining the car by the fuel horror stories and the biggy is revo not offering it on the 310 when they would map a race horse if they could lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went all out on the SQ5 2 years ago from a main dealer after not finding my perfect RSQ3.
A beautiful car with a massive spec from a main dealer, I paid £32k for it.
I loved it for the first year or so until I saw a few RSQ3's out on the road and then couldn't stop the looking again.
You might have to up your budget a little as tbh, the price and circumstances around your "initial" purchase sound a bit odd to me
I paid just over £30k for a 24k mile 66 plate 340.
There may have been cheaper cars out there but I didn't want to scrape the barrel so to speak.

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
RSQ3 Performance Dec 66 plate,
31 Posts
As John & Ju said really, mines a 66 plate RSQ3 performance bought june 2019 from main dealer 2 years warranty £35K today it has done 14694 miles , so low mileage, You get what you pay for , as we all know, Good luck with your search..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow i think i will go for the 21k one i have seen used approved looks a nice example i am not one for chavving my cars up but being used to fast cars i think the 310 will be lacking what are the exhaust controllers like? Worth it? Thanks again

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

·
Registered
2008 A4 2.0T Red, long gone, looking for an RSQ3
33 Posts
Cheers guys if anyone sees a nice one sub 22/23k let me know
John and Ju have given you some great advice and they're very generous with their time, I know being in a similar position to you, so I wish you the best of luck!

I've seen a 2014 310 with 68k miles for 20k so perhaps at your budget will find one with fewer miles. At 50k-54k miles you might need to change the tires so factor that in, and for 40k you might need to change the sparks. At both you'd also want to check the discs (thanks again to John and Ju for the heads up on that) so perhaps the extra miles on a well looked after car would be cheaper in the first year? Plus, if you've got a preference on any of the packs it must have - that comes into play right?

We're not in competition however as I'm after a 2016 340, so happy to share my thoughts :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John and Ju have given you some great advice and they're very generous with their time, I know being in a similar position to you, so I wish you the best of luck!

I've seen a 2014 310 with 68k miles for 20k so perhaps at your budget will find one with fewer miles. At 50k-54k miles you might need to change the tires so factor that in, and for 40k you might need to change the sparks. At both you'd also want to check the discs (thanks again to John and Ju for the heads up on that) so perhaps the extra miles on a well looked after car would be cheaper in the first year? Plus, if you've got a preference on any of the packs it must have - that comes into play right?

We're not in competition however as I'm after a 2016 340, so happy to share my thoughts :)
They are dotted about mate plus in current climate cash is king i had a deal tied up for 21300 16 plate with 6 month audi warranty 52k so it kills me to pay 22k for a 14 plate with 50k on when you value it onlime there worth 18k trade in :(

·
Registered
2008 A4 2.0T Red, long gone, looking for an RSQ3
33 Posts
They are dotted about mate plus in current climate cash is king i had a deal tied up for 21300 16 plate with 6 month audi warranty 52k so it kills me to pay 22k for a 14 plate with 50k on when you value it onlime there worth 18k trade in :(
Nice find! Maybe I'm using the wrong strategy, I'm in London so limited to just researching online; website beginning with an A, ending in der, where would you say should I be looking?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 310,had it remapped over a year ago to 410bhp,not by apr I will add,by my trusted Indy,who’s mapping guy has written maps for some of the usual suspects(i know this looks a bit cloak & dagger),who I’m not at liberty to divulge. I too had heard various tales of hardware changes done to the 340 model,and fuel pumps/inter cooler upgrades needed. All I can say is mine is stage 1,no modifications have been done,and runs sweet as a nut and has done since day I had it done. (Hope I’m not tempting fate🤞🏻) I will admit I don’t drive it like I’ve stolen it,but to be honest,now,or standard,I think you would struggle to do that anyway on normal roads. The 310 is plenty quick enough I’m sur you’d find. I personally am not keen on the looks of the front of the facelift model,though can agree the powered tailgate and led headlights are desirable as my better half has an 18 plate 2.0 Black Edition Q3 diesel,also mapped by my mechanic,and I am envious of the headlights & tailgate. I can put you in touch with my Indy if you choose to go down the 310 route......good luck with your search👍🏻

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice find! Maybe I'm using the wrong strategy, I'm in London so limited to just researching online; website beginning with an A, ending in der, where would you say should I be looking?
Yes and p*****heads e**y etc it is hard to find a proper spec'd none abused one

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes and p*****heads e**y etc it is hard to find a proper spec'd none abused one
Tell me about it, the more you look the more picky you get lol

Reactions: EasyTyler

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 310,had it remapped over a year ago to 410bhp,not by apr I will add,by my trusted Indy,who’s mapping guy has written maps for some of the usual suspects(i know this looks a bit cloak & dagger),who I’m not at liberty to divulge. I too had heard various tales of hardware changes done to the 340 model,and fuel pumps/inter cooler upgrades needed. All I can say is mine is stage 1,no modifications have been done,and runs sweet as a nut and has done since day I had it done. (Hope I’m not tempting fate🤞🏻) I will admit I don’t drive it like I’ve stolen it,but to be honest,now,or standard,I think you would struggle to do that anyway on normal roads. The 310 is plenty quick enough I’m sur you’d find. I personally am not keen on the looks of the front of the facelift model,though can agree the powered tailgate and led headlights are desirable as my better half has an 18 plate 2.0 Black Edition Q3 diesel,also mapped by my mechanic,and I am envious of the headlights & tailgate. I can put you in touch with my Indy if you choose to go down the 310 route......good luck with your search👍🏻
Thanks for your reply i can live without the fl perks if the grunt is there after stage 1 i have never mapped a car so will try stock first but i thought my m140 was slow mainly from traction issues so i doubt stock will blow me away but we will see. Your not near cheshire/ north wales are you? Lol

1 - 20 of 75 Posts