Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi.Did they just fall off or did you have symptoms like noise or vibrations to proveit was those items? My front end vibrates/rattles a bit when you drive slow over uneven surfaces.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Helo again.
The engine undertray just dropped in the rain at about 65 mph.
The undertray helps hold the inner arches so when they replaced it incorrectly the arches fouled the wheels.
I love the car and its delivering 40+ mpg but Stockton Audi and UK arte the pits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The undertray (by nearside front wheel) came down on my girlfriend's Q3 on Sunday morning. It was scraping on the road when I pulled off the drive.
The night before I drove through about a foot of water. It was raining heavily and the road had flooded. I can only assume that this dislodged the undertray somehow.
Anyway, it went back to Tamworth Audi today. They have said it is not covered by warranty and we have to pay £300.
Apparently it is my fault for driving it through water too fast (30 MPH). I guess they are saying that you can't drive this particular car on unlit roads in wet weather. From now on I will check the weather forecast and possibility of road flooding before undertaking any journey.
Car is 2 months old with less than 2000 miles on the clock. Unimpressed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hmmm..... thatcircumstance is not particularly good on an SUV! Unimpressed indeed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow. These revelations are truly cause for concern...

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Oh, I don't know - hitting a foot of water at 30mph would put one **** of a strain on any undertrays.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have posted elsewhere that our under-tray dropped when the car was about 2 weeks old. My wife was driving through some horrendous wet weather at the time. It went into the garage and was sorted.

I appreciate that there are thousands of Q3's out there, but to get three dropped trays on this forum suggests that there may be a problem!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Funny old thing, I was backing onto the drive yesterday and heard a rubbing noise, but couldn't see anything obvious - but when it made the same noise when backing out of a parking space at work, I took a look - and it looks like the top of the driver's side liner is fouling the tyre when on full lock.... Call to Audi in the morning I reckon!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck,
keep us updated on the outcome....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Call placed to Audi Assist - just awaiting the visit now... "It'll be after the morning rush" apparently...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well the man from Audi Assist has advised that in my case, both front wheel-arch liners (which are made of some sort of felt) have become warped.

They are both still attached all the way around, but the material has swollen and bent out of shape to make them stick out far enough to catch on the front tyres when on full-lock. He has applied liberal quantities of "Black Nasty" Tape to hold them flat to the wheel arch, and Leicester Audi are ordering in 2 x new wheel-arch liners to replace them - a 30 minute job apparently - hopefully to be done tomorrow!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Photo shows the wheel arch linner. This is exactly the same issue we had on our arches. Audi had severel goes at it before fixixng it correctly. There is a repair code atatched to my service repair bill. I presume it is a recall/repair code for a known fault, if you need it i will forward the code for the repair. Audi seem to try and pass the book first, then look to help.

The undertray also came off mine two or three times, it has been so much trouble i cant remember whithout my file any more. Make sure it is done correctly or it will come away again. the tollerance is so small new tyres seem to be the most at risk, reversing of or down an incline makes it worse.

Good luck and message back if you need the codes.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The front tyres were only replaced less than 1000 miles ago - you are right thatthe gap in the wheel-archdoes seem very tight.

All of the rivet fasteners were still in place - it's just the material that has warped out of shape - the Audi Assist guy said he'd not seen this happen before.

Craig - I'd be happy to take a look at those codes to see if the similar fault/remedy is reported

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll get them tonight when i finnish.
The trim on my Q3 was exactly the same, in the end both sides were affected. Dealer told me the same but the forum has other views. if the forum knows about it Audi do, we are only a small cross section.

I will post a reply as soon as i can, hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OPEN 0.30 115.00
Look into ABS issue, carried out aded fault fir.rg, fDund faults stored in system, dent diss report to Audi Technica:. all values all ok
PEP &.00 0.00
Confirmed customers complaint what wheel arch liners wore coming away from housing, carried out diss to technical, found new modifiuation all ok
Carried out 20K service

Sorry to say i cant find the bit whith codes on, however this shows they have a new modification (the code is missing but the point is clear, they know about it and will fix it.)
Can you belive the English used in the text ???

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Booked in for tomorrow - pending parts delivery...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just had a call from Audi to advise that the root cause is that the (surprise!) UNDERTRAY has become detached and this has pulled the liners out of shape....

Asked me if I had driven over any kerbs that might have caused the problem - I haven't, but makes me wonder if the same symptoms as previous mentioned here have happened - i.e. Driving in heavy rain/wet roads/puddles etc?

·
Registered
201 Posts
"Asked me if I had driven over any kerbs that might have caused the problem".. It's a softroader and they asked you if you had driven over any kerbs..

·
Registered
613 Posts
The theory from the dealer is that I have hit something which has broken the retaining bolts holding the tray, and then rain has got behind it, causing it to swell and pull down which has resulted in the wheel arches becoming deformed.... But it's just a theory - and to hit something high enough to do that? And not know?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts