Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my 5th Audi, 1st Q3, and have 70,000 miles on it now. The undertray seems to fall to pieces on all Audis. I do my own servicing and am unimpressed with the undertray on the Q3, the previous A4, and the A4 before that.
I think the main problem is that they cannot withstand the force of driving through deeper puddles and standing water.
I wonder if there's a supply of replacement trays, perhaps in some more robust material?

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
Not that I've heard of. Several peeps here have had that problem (including me) and the best Audi dealers can do is refit it using repair washers or similar to provide a better purchase and load-spread for the fixing screws, especially along the leading edges.

·
Registered
94 Posts
FL Q3's seem to have the (flimsy) undertrays better fixed with screws and washers. So obviously a known problem.However, water even a few inches deep taken at speed creates a large force on parts of the undertraywhich is clearly not man-enough in this situation. Large puddles are therefore best avoided if at all possible.Fords and floodsup to4 to 6 inches deep need to be taken I suggest at a low speed say 15 mph max.Anything deeper at your peril. Also Q3'scan no doubt float downstream which could be embarrassing.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Oastcowl is not wrong there..........whipping through any standing water can easily damage fixings or even tear off an undertray if it's not designed well enough, and it certainly seems that the Q3 undertrays have a weakness.
A lot of my working life was spent (on usually cold days) driving and filming vehicles carrying out wade tests and you would be surprised what deep water even at quite low speeds can do under a vehicle, we even had a transit spare wheel ripped off once, and that was in about 150mm of water at 50kph.......did some strange bodywork mods that wheel did!

If it's covering the tyres (the bit nearest the ground dummy not the top bit!
) then 10-15mph, if its anywhere near the wheel centres.........walking pace only!
Any deeper and notify the Coast Guard before attempting the crossing

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had problems with my undertray and arch lining, the fixtures don't seem to hold after they have been refitted multiple times.Not impressed with the lack of quality

·
Registered
20 Posts
Happened to me this morning, not that big a puddle but when I looked the under tray near side it was hanging down. The screws don't seem to big enough for what they are supposed to do. Any idea on how to repair?

Thanks,

Roger:mad:

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
As already stated in my previous post above, use stainless steel repair washers of the largest diameter commensurate with the screw size when refitting it. That is all Audi main dealers do and providing the tray isn't already torn too badly it makes a good repair and spreads the load across a broader diameter. Fitting Audi genuine front mudflaps helps protect the front lip of the tray from further waterborne assaults but as with all vehicles using this type of case-hardened cardboard undertray (and there are many, not just VAG) take it as easy as you can going through standing water.

I had to have mine fixed the first year I had it and had front mudflaps fitted at the same time. Six years and 55,000 miles later all is still well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The issue is that there aren't any screws. The side underbody parts only appear to be tucked under the front wheel arch liner and once water breaks it that's its lot. I had mine replaced when it was in for summat else. It was 150 quid with fitting!

·
Registered
818 Posts
The answer to the undertray problem are stainless steel penny washers. They are easy to install and stop any problems.

Reactions: Gromit
1 - 9 of 9 Posts