Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I want to buy some alloys and winter tyres for the q3 i am currently running on 20 inch with 255/40 tyres and have seen some 18 inch and was assuming the tyre size would be 235/55 but the garage are saying I need 235/50, any ideas anybody ?

Ian

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Hi Ian, welcome to the club!

Check the tyre pressures plate in the driver's door hinge panel, I think they list the sizes there. IIRC 235/55 is correct for 17" wheels but sounds a bit tall for 18".

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome to the gang. Your current wheel/tyres have an overall diameter of 28.03". The 18" wheel with 235/55 tyre has an overall diameter of 28.18". The 18" wheel with 235/50 tyre has an overall diameter of 27.25". This assumes that the tyres are new. Based on the calculations above I would go for 235/55 tyres on 18" wheels.

·
Registered
554 Posts
On page 226 of the Q3 2020 manual it itemises all the wheel/tyre sizes available.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its definitely 235/50 for the 18s "factory" spec.

I would assume the garage have gone off a chart to find the closest match in diameter which is the 235/55 which is odd as you do have a little room, the difference between 255/40/20 and 235/50/18 is -2.5% which is perfectly acceptable.

Strongly recommend the Michelin Crossclimates, they arent too far behind Nokian Hakkapeliitta for snow and ice grip, you certainly wouldn't notice a difference between the two from a UK winter and they are also both a very good summer tyre and perform brilliant in the wet, they are in fact the only all season tyre that actually perform well in both summer and winter conditions, national have a deal on at the moment 15% off making them £520 fitted for the 235/50/18 which is a bargain,

The thing with dedicated winter tyres is they perform excellent in snow and and ice but arent great in the wet and are poor in the summer, obviously you dont have to worry about the summer as you'll rotate back to your 20s but as you know the second half of british winters are very wet..

Reactions: Gromit

·
Super Moderator
5,767 Posts
Agreed. My own preference (as is already well known on this forum!) is Goodyear Vector 4Seasons as they carry the A0 mark indicating Audi OEM and they've performed incredibly well in all conditions on mine, but independent reports reckon there's little or no difference 'twixt them and Michelin Cross-climates. Go for whichever is available in your size or at the right price. Generally speaking, all-seasons tyres are now so good I fail to see a reason for fitting anything but providing they're available for your vehicle.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres on my last Q3. They performed well in all conditions. The main problem was finding a Nokian dealer near to Leeds, who turned out being in Halifax, a 50 mile round trip. The other problem was increased tyre noise which wasn't bad but was noticeable. I had them for 18k miles and they were less than half worn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im booked in for Cross climate plus`s all round Friday after next, i cant wait for the snow 😆

Gromit, ive seen the Goodyears perform very close to the the Michelin in snow and ice but for the extra few quid im drawn in by the fact they're also a very capable summer tyre as well as this the newer "plus" model have an improved rubber compound and the siping grooves broaden the more the tyres worn which results in the grip barely degrading as the tyre wears and they apparently last 11,000 miles more than the Michelin energy savers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
235/55 R18 for new Q3, 235/50 R18 for old one. Sounds like the tyre place have their Q3s confused.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts