Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a moment of rashness a few weeks ago I agreed to drive up to the Coniston shooting ground near Skipton in North Yorkshire as a day trip a mere 163 miles from Warwick to meet a mate I infected with the clay shooting bug a couple of years ago. Some friends want to come too so I'll be 4 up in the RS plus guns and cartridges - quite heavy. On a Friday - will be a 'mare of a trip back I expect.

I rarely carry passengers so have run the RS tyres (255/40 R20) at the minimum pressure of 33psi for the last 11 months, looking at the tyre pressure chart on the driver's side B pillar its is suggesting 46psi all round with 5 occupants and luggage. Call me old fashioned but I don't think I've ever driven a car with pressures that high, 42 psi maybe, surely 46 would be so high as to wear the centre of the tyres out and make the traction-control light flicker incessantly.

I've put 40psi in all round this evening - big shout out to Jaylees (KJ) for the Halfords digital TP gauge recommended last year (the hopeless Audi TP sensors think they have 39).

Anyone running 46?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Even on my road bike I only put 36psi.
My trail bike runs happily but squidgily at 12 to 15.
46 sounds more like pushbike pressure.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
From day 1 I have run at 36psi. The maximum load is 3 people + luggage. I run on 20" with Hankook's and they are giving me a superb ride with even wear all round. I dread to think what would happen if I put them up to 46psi.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is it possible that the 46psi suggestion factors in the possibility of cruising at extreme autobahn speeds and is less relevant to UK roads? (I've never quite understood why high speed running should require higher tyre pressures, but it seem to be the case AFAIK. I'd have thought that the high speed would heat the tyres even more and push the pressures still higher, but what do I know?

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks chaps. I'll do the trip and drop it back to 36 as mwcltd has suggested.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Out of interest, what is the maximum tyre pressure written on the tyre sidewall?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was at 33psi now I am at 36psi I have done wheel rotation as well due to the tyre edges of front wheel wearing.
I am also old fashioned.
If I remember correctly when I had C class like any other car it mentioned higher tyre pressures.
But there was this * which asked to read manual upon reading it that said for higher speeds lower the pressure.
Made some sense as due to heat tyre pressures would increase.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also had them at 33psi but noticed slight edge wear (both inner and outer) on front so reverted to 36psi and rotated front to back at just under 5k miles.
Cars now getting sold but will probably go for the same on the 21” on the RSQ3, current Edition 1 is on 20s.

Reactions: Jalees

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So still have the tyres (20") at 40psi (Audi TPMS says 39psi).

I note ride quality seems similar to being at 33 psi, however the tyre temps increase very little in use, 40.5 is shown on a long motorway run, obviously the rolling resistance has decreased with the higher pressure. Will monitor tire wear - I don't see them lasting much past 15,000 anyway. Fronts are wearing faster than the rears.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In this whole thread nobody has thought to ask what tyres you are using and the relative stiffness compared to the oem tyres. That B pillar information is referring to the tyres supplied by the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK...Bridgestone Potenza S005 - supplied OEM. 255/40 R20 XL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts