Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Q3 bought new.
Last year when the car reached 3 years old I had a message on the MMI advising me that the Traffic Data License was about to expire.
So, I call Audi customer services who were very helpful and renewed the license free of charge.
Well, 1 year later I need to renew again, so I call Customer services to be told that they can no longer renew the licenses and that I can now apply for renewal through the myaudi app.

I have tried this several times but with no success. The app just says that my car/phone are not linked.
I have checked and rechecked all settings on the phone and the car but no joy.
The phone is showing up on the MMI through Bluetooth and WLAN and likewise the car is showing on my phone but still unable to link them.

A friend who also has an Audi suggested that my car is too old and that the myaudi app is for newer vehicles.

If that is the case how can I renew my Traffic Data License?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Have you put the Chassis number of your car into the MyAudi App? Linking Bluetooth and Wifi doesn't link the car to the App. Your car can generate a code that the MyAudi app needs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RSQ3John
Thanks for your reply.

I have just checked the app and both my Audi's (A1 + Q3) are listed with their respective VIN's.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I don't have an 8U user manual to look up where MMI generates the code to link the car....

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
188 Posts
Try going into myaudi through your browser rather than the app.
It shows nothing on the app for me but logged in to the website and in the features/functions tab you can navigate to functions on demand.
This is what I get but I'm guessing as its valid for a while I can't actually purchase anything

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Thanks Ju. John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ju,
Thanks for that idea.
I will give it a try over the weekend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to report back for the benefit of others who may have encountered the same problem.

After extensive fiddling with the App and both cars I finally went through my.audi.com website as recommended by Ju.
I also had to link my cars with my Audi Partner.

After using my.audi.com eventually everything seemed to click into place and I was able to access "Function On Demand".

I was surprised to see how expensive it is to purchase a new Traffic Data License.

Anyway, many thanks to RSQ3John and Ju for your help.

·
Super Moderator
5,945 Posts
I don't have firsthand experience of this but IIRC every time this situation has cropped up on this forum the dealer has renewed the license free of charge. I wonder if there is actually a cost involved or whether it's just a provision for the dealer to make money if they so desire?

·
Registered
783 Posts
All they have to do is to change a field in a database. This has to be a rip off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No its correct.
The reason why we all got the extensions for free is that Audi hadn't worked out a framework to charge for the service. Unfortunately now they have and from now on we have to pay for the service once the included subscription expires!
Our 8U Q3's have a very limited connect facility compared to the newer platform, how much did it cost Fenders if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ju,

You are correct.
When I spoke to my local Audi Centre they advised me that the intention from Audi was always to make a charge for the Traffic Data license. The only problem was that they couldn't work out how to do it and until they did they were happy (or maybe not) to just renew on a yearly basis. Eventually, they managed to develop their system to enable charging for extra services, etc., and now owners are seeing that they are being charged for a service that used to be free.

They are charging £4 per month or £44 per annum. Seems expensive but I do find it very useful.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ju,

You are correct.
When I spoke to my local Audi Centre they advised me that the intention from Audi was always to make a charge for the Traffic Data license. The only problem was that they couldn't work out how to do it and until they did they were happy (or maybe not) to just renew on a yearly basis. Eventually, they managed to develop their system to enable charging for extra services, etc., and now owners are seeing that they are being charged for a service that used to be free.

They are charging £4 per month or £44 per annum. Seems expensive but I do find it very useful.
Thanks for the heads up fenders, that's about what I thought from what it says on my myaudi page.
Since Google earth stopped working, the traffic is the only worthwhile connect feature and does sound a little expensive when you do very few miles......I'll still probably pay though as I've had a good few years free!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
It would be worth it - I used to commute regularly up and down the M40 to Staines-Upon-Thames and learned the wrong way that ignoring navigation's instructions to exit from a particular Junction was not to be ignored! Connect is worth it - no doubt.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I totally agree with RSQ3John. It is worth its weight in gold. However, after spending a large amount of money on the Q3, why is it that £44 per annum is not included from year 3 onwards? Will this break the bank?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts