Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have decided to change my old, thirsty Isuzu trooper for a Q3, but,as a caravanner, wondered if the 4 wheel drive would be a better bet than the front wheel version. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible and wondered if anyone else had used a Q3 for towing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Don. I boughta Q3 for towing my caravan. It tows very well & returns around 30mpg while doing it.

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
I have no experience of towing with a Q3 but noting Trapper's comments I would think that the quattro would be the way to go. Towing inevitably involves weight transfer rearward resulting in reduced pressure on the front wheels, therefore a 4WD system would cater for this, even a Haldex system where 4WD is only engaged when needed.

I know this is probably stressing the obvious but 4WD would seem to be the sensible option.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been towing with my Q3 2 wheel drive for 18 months now. I have had no problems at all the only thing is if I pull away quickly from a stand still the front wheels spin. The factory fitted tow bar is superb. It retracts away completely out of view. Also if a bulb has gone on the caravan it is highlighted on the DIS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Repton1978 collecting my Q3 SE with Audi tow bar at the end of this month. When the towbar is stowed away do you cover or protect the "towball" itself with a cap or whatever?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi
The tow bar comes with its own cover. It just covers the ball. I do not think that it is necessary to cover any more than that. Mine has not got dirty at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for that, may have some more questions for you as I mull over everthing. Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Repton 1978 is there any instructions in your handbook or elsewhere re running in period before hitching up to a caravan? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi gbundy
To quote the manual " A new vehicle should be run in over a distance of 1,500 km. For the first 1,000 km the engine speed should not exceed 2/3 of the maximum permissible engine speed - do not use full throttle and do not tow a trailer or caravan. "

I cancelled my first planned trip until I cover 800 miles. Hope this helps. Happy shed dragging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers and thanks once again. gbungy

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hello Repton 1978
After the 8/900 miles for run in when does the first service /oil change happen Is it the same as BMW condition based setup.
My current car a 120d F20 didn't have its first oil change until 19000 miles i didn't like this. I am from the old school oil change era changing after a short period run in then a oil change after that dropping into a set miles routine. How does Audi do it?
thanks Arightpest

1 - 12 of 12 Posts