Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm that all 13 pins on the factory fitted towbar will be connected to power.If not, has anyone experience of getting the dealer to sort this out prior to delivery

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From the forum response (Nil) it would appear that very few if any forum members are specifying towbars on their vehicles. I have now approached Audi UK and suggested that most caravan users would prefer to have all 13 pins connected so that the fridge remains on when towing as well as the leisure battery being charged. They were not able to confirm on the phone yesterday whether: a. The vehicle will come with all pins connected b. If not, whether Audi can do it as a garage after mod.Audi UK have promised to contact me on Mon 3 Sep with an answer. I will then post it here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2ltr TDI was delivered with the factory fitted tow bar. The split charging for the caravan battery and the power to the fidge connections were not fitted. I requested my dealer Derby Audi to do the necessary wiring. They did this free of charge. Hope that your dealer will do the same for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent result. Thank you for this. I will see what Audi UK say on Mon and let everyone know. I look forward to getting out on the road and have every faith that it will prove to be a good tow car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just heard back from Audi UK. They are awaiting costs and man-hours from Wimbledon Audi (my dealer) but have said that they will cover the costs of this additional wiring. This is to be confirmed once Wimbledon Audi pass them the costings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I too am having murders with my local dealership concerning the extra 2 pins to function in tow bar electrics.
I
know the Germans won't allow it but I notice one or two here on the
forum saying that the dealership can in fact add that second bit of loom
to make it fully functional on my Q3, does anyone have any further info
on this so I can take it to my selling dealer?

Thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is very interesting to me, do you know if there is a seperate loom being fitted to the cars to make this function correctly? I am just in the process of ordering a tow bar to retro fit (we walked in and bought a car that was a cancelled order)
I am fitting the tow bar myself and will add the extra loom to my order if I know what to order.
Thanks,
Great forum by the way, lots of good advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, from current experience you need to be careful with after fit as the cars ecu needs to recognise the wiring, my local dealer is ordering the relay and wiring now and fitting FOC, the normal 13 pin plug is not wired for split charger and battery.

I am having mine done on monday so will let you know.

P.S. mine is a factory fit t/bar.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi. Most good private towbar fitting companies will sort out your wiring issues at a small charge. I had mine fitted by local company, only took a couple of hours. Westfavia kit was used which what Audi use, they programmed it with no issues. The issue I had is when Audi updated the software on my car it didn't see my towbar, so I had to take it back to towbar man to reinstall it again. Bit of a faf but no problems really.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bazza D said:
Hi, from current experience you need to be careful with after fit as the cars ecu needs to recognise the wiring, my local dealer is ordering the relay and wiring now and fitting FOC, the normal 13 pin plug is not wired for split charger and battery.

I am having mine done on monday so will let you know.

P.S. mine is a factory fit t/bar.
Did you manage to find out what they did to remedy the problem? I fitted my tow bar yesterday and need the car programmed now, there doesn't seem much option in the cabling for a big thick power cable to be run :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Repton1978 said:
My 2ltr TDI was delivered with the factory fitted tow bar. The split charging for the caravan battery and the power to the fidge connections were not fitted. I requested my dealer Derby Audi to do the necessary wiring. They did this free of charge. Hope that your dealer will do the same for you.
The above was posted in 2012. I now feel I have to put the record strait. I was totally mislead by Derby Audit who told me that they had fitted the extra tow bar wiring. It was until I went on a long journey with my caravan that I noticed that the fidge was not cold. On my first service I asked them to check and surprise surprise it was not fitted. After complaining to the Customer Service Manager he said that I did not have it in writing that they would fit the wiring and quoted me £1700 to fit it!!!!!!!!! I contacted Audi Customer Services who were very pleasant and were in contact with Derby Audi. They contacted me to say that I could have the wiring discounted from £950 to £495. I will not be taking them up on this disgusting offer the whole tow bar and wiring cost £660.

The lesson here is if a dealer promises you something Get it in writing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Derby Audi should be big enough to own up to there own short comings and out it right for you.

Nottingham Audi did do mine FOC and to be fair haven't checked it but don't doubt that it is done.

Keep bashing away at Derby Audi and let them know you won't go away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See my earlier posts. Wimbledon Audi were prepared to do the work after I spoke to Audi UK at their cost. Unfortunately I had to cancel my order because of the front end vibration issue and no assurances Audi would resolve the issue. I then purchased a VW Tiguan (I know I'm on an Audi Forum- never mind) and VW automatically connect all the pins for a UK order.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts