Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very pleased with my 2015 q3 but cannot find a detachable towbar. Witter do not make one and Audi quote stupid money to have a Bosal orbis one. They seem to think a new bumper is needed, which will need to be painted.
Has anyone had one fitted to the new q3. The tow bar quoted on all towbar sites is for the previous model.
Any thought.
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Classiche. Im picking up my Q3 in 2 weeks and have been looking around as well i have been in touch with this company and they seem nort to bad so far. this is what they came back with.There was a facelift this year, I'd recommend the Westfalia detachable towbar as it is Original Equipment to Audi and is suitable for the facelift whereas a Witter towbar for instance is different.<br clear="none">The bumper requires a non-visible cut underneath so it wouldn't be seen.<br clear="none"><br clear="none">With your car being so new, we do recommend fitting dedicated wiring kits as they are made specifically for the vehicle and mostly plug straight in, it will also enable any towing settings that the vehicle has, if you do not your main dealer could invalidate the manufacturers warranty.<br clear="none"><br clear="none"><br clear="none"><br clear="none">http://www.pfjones.co.uk/v70-estate-2007-detachable-towbar.htmlhttp://www.pfjones.co.uk/audi-q3-2011-on-detachable-tow-bar.html</font><br clear="none">

·
Registered
4 Posts
hiClassiche and steve
Would not mind both send me photo of tow bar and any cut hole ?i bought Facelift 2015 Q3 last weekend I'm worry about cut hole i need tow bar for my caravanhope help me thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
This was part of the reason i got the factory fit bar. I have previously been loathed to spend so much on the factory fit, but as it only cost £520 plus the vat it seemed quite reasonable.

i have fitted the last 2 towbars to my previous XC60s and previous grand cherokee. The xc60s both needed a significant bumper cut, but Volvo did a clip on cover that went over the top. It is also quite nerve-wracking cutting in to your new car!

I have bought from PFjones and yes agree that you must get the dedicated kit as they pretty much plug in. There should be some plugs ready to receive it behind the left hand cover in the boot, as mine has a small box of tricks here that then feeds out under the 1st aid kit and out to the towball.
But do your homework to cost it out. With Volvo the dealer kit was half the price of aftermarket kit. This was even with the trip to the dealer to activate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, this is my first post.We have just received our new 2016 Q3 SE and are enjoying it a lot so far.We too need a tow bar, and want this to be detachable. Indespension say they do one which plugs in vertically from underneath and with the special electrics costs almost £700. They say they will handle the electrics integration (stability, fog light bumper sensors etc) and no cut in the bumper will be required.I see that there is a large cut-out already about a foot wide by four inches under the bumper which presumably would be used. I'm a little worried about posts here about bumper cutting and Audi downloads.Has anyone else had such a tow bar fitted by Indespension?Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
HiTowbar fitted but opted for fixed swan neck style .Hardly notice the cut out unless you go underneath and look. I did see one with a detchable style but once the bar was remover it mabe the bumper cut more visible.Also came with dedicated electrics programmed to Audi . Can recommend a companycitytowbars and electrics in Coatbridge as they can also supply detachable towbars as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stevie Stirling said:
HiTowbar fitted but opted for fixed swan neck style .Hardly notice the cut out unless you go underneath and look. I did see one with a detchable style but once the bar was remover it mabe the bumper cut more visible.Also came with dedicated electrics programmed to Audi . Can recommend a companycitytowbars and electrics in Coatbridge as they can also supply detachable towbars as well.
any pictures?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that Steve. Which Q3 model is yours?
I opted for a detachable hook because I kept hitting my shins on the hook on our old car!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Q3 s line plus will try and upload some pictures ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bumper area detail seems to vary a lot between models. Our 2016 SE has a large slot underneath in the plastic skirt which might avoid the need for a cut. Indespension say no cut needed on ours. It will be interesting to compare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Nick,We have just collected a 2017 Q3 & wish to fit a towbar. Indespension gave an attractive quote & assured me that they could deal with all the electrics. How was your experience?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Q3 TDI first reg about March 2016
We had a removable towbar fitted by Indespension in Edinburgh. So much easier on the shins! It cost about 700 quid.
I was a little surprised at the cost when quoted, and went back to the Audi dealer who was negative and unhelpful, so we took the Indespension quote.
It fits through an existing rectangular aperture below the rear bumper, into which the standard electrics connector also folds. It is somehow integrated with the car electrics.
It is easy to fit and remove, and simply works. I guess we have had it for about a year without problems.
I do recommend this product.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Nick, that's very helpful - & reassuring. Indespension in Swanseahave quoted £580 which seemed suspiciously low (he said they were cheaper in Wales where we're not as rich as the English!)butI intendto go for them now. If there are any problems I'll post them for anyone else's benefit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts