Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a new Q3 - how does the quattro handle in bad weather compared to the normal 2 wheel drive model?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The quattro system adds weight, lowers fuel consumption but the trade of is better grip and the knowledge you have it if needed. I live in Scotland where yes it's wet and you can get 4 seasons in one day so I have it.

Coming from a rwd car I couldn't really go fwd so I took the less of 2 evils and went awd

Think everybody has their reasons for getting the Quattro or keeping the standard fwd setup, there isn't a yes or no answer imo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went Quattro purely for the resale value,I'mguessing in 3 years time when I want to trade up it'll be more desirable.

·
Registered
563 Posts
HiThe system used in the Q3 makes the car a front wheel drive car for most driving conditions the rear wheels only come into play when grip is lost, this process is handled by the cars computer.Yes the system will give more grip in bad weather, what you have to remember is the braking is just like any other car, over do it and you can still end up in a ditch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say that quattro version is an excellent choice if you know that “I need a 4WD car”. Otherwise FWD version is fine. Especially if you are not going to tow anything heavy like a trailer.

Front wheel version has lower running costs because it's more fuel-efficient, it has lower maintenance costs because there are fewer things to maintain and in some countries you might get some annual tax benefits because of lower emission rate.

For me the choice was clear and I have been extremely happy with the FWD version. I got a change to do the comparison test run in really bad weather conditions (not living in UK) while I was making my decision. I took the FWD version because it matched my needs better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Also the FWD will not have the vibration issue risk

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have the Quattro (177BHP) version. However for a month, whilst it was off the road, the garage loaned me a 2wd Q3.

Setting off from a junction in spirited fashion in the 2wd version provoked more wheel spin. I also thought that the Quattro felt more solid- better put together- don' t know why. They were both of a similar age/mileage.

What I did notice though was the fuel consumption- I averaged a regular 50mpg from the 2wd version, whilst the TDI quattro is about 8mpg less.

·
Registered
613 Posts
That's pretty much it - under normal conditions, I'd have thought there'd be no noticeable difference - except at the fuel pumps...

·
Registered
16 Posts
"I also thought that the Quattro felt more solid"

It IS more solid than the front-wheel drive, to the tune of about 140Kg! I suppose that's the additional mass of the auto box and Quattro drivetrain - equivalent to two passengers riding round with you.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Audi only do 2 models in the q3 range that don't have the Quattro system, I'm sure they would have made it standard excerpt they need some low emission models to bring down the average.

It's 90kg extra weight if you go for the manual but with depreciation etc the mpg is the least of my interests

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have also been looking at the Q5, am i right in saying that you have recently upgraded to the Q5, if so how do the 2 cars compare in your opinion

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went from a two wheel drive A6 Avant to a Quattro Q3......last winter the A6 was stuck in the garage for five weeks.....to get to our house means travelling up two hills.....this year the Q3 never let me down and the weather was worse this year than last. Quattro for me, was definitely the Q3 model to buy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts