Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clock went forward on my car this morning on it's own how did it do that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
A radio-controlled clock will update itself automatically, but this doesn't seem to be available in UK specs. If you have Satnav the clock will be corrected by GPS, andI imagine DAB radio will also set the clock. Otherwise the rest of us have to correct the quartz clock manually, but thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have DAB but no sat Nav

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
There's a setting in the mmi to enable auto time update I'm sure. I used it when I got the car as the clock was out. Got a wee spinning icon in the centre display for 5 minutes then it was sorted

·
Registered
14 Posts
The RDS data stream embedded in good old VHF-FM may also be used to set a car's clock. Our old Zafira used to update quite quickly after the radio had been switched on and tuned to a FM service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quite right! The MMI is a never ending source of delight. There is indeed an option under "Time" for auto setting of time, as well as automatic adjustment for summer time. No idea where the reference signal comes from.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I also set the time to auto update via the MMi when I first got the car

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is no need for external reference or anything like that. Car computer is always on and it can calculate when it is time to move the clock forward for the summer time. No magic there ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
SemiQ said:
There is no need for external reference or anything like that. Car computer is always on and it can calculate when it is time to move the clock forward for the summer time. No magic there ;)
That's not correct. It's actually 'connected' to the atom-clock in Europe. This sends a signal over a distance of about 1500 KM, if you are further than this, your clock doesn't go forward/backwards when times change. You have to do it (when out of reach of the transmitter) manually.
That's also the reason you have the option using the transmitter or not for your clock.
Search for DCF77 @ Wikipedia
Edited by: audidriver4ever

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I drove through Europe would it change automatically as I went though the time zones

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't decided yet

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
Here's a map. You see that time is in the green part is the same. Just thought of my holiday in de US. The Garmin changed time by State over there.

Edited by: audidriver4ever

·
Registered
80 Posts
audidriver4ever,

You are right and I was wrong! Audi seems to use that mechanism to syncronise the clock! Amazing! So there is no need to set the time even once =)

Now I'm just wondering why such a mechanism is needed.. hmmm..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts