Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new around here. Just looking currently but seriously thinking of going for a Q3. Visited a showroom recently and was pretty impressed with the Q3. It fits my needs really well.
One thing I was not too impressed with was the MMI screen on the dashboard. To me it seemed really poor resolution. Perhaps this is as a result of the increased resolution in iPhones and the like now a days.
For this reason I was strongly considering adding the Technology Pack to my wish list as this has a better/higher resolution screen. I have a few questions for someone who has one (or has seen one) as follows:-
1. Is the resolution better for all the features/menus? Or is it just better on the Sat Nav. No point in paying for better resolution if the software does not make the most of it.
2. Is there any way of clearly telling whether a car has the Tech Pack without playing with it? Does the screen look different in any way? I ask this, because there is a good chance that I may have to go the used car route and it is not always clear from the details what packages are included. For example there are many used Q3s out there that say they have Sat Nav when I suspect they really only have Sat Nav potential (via SD Card).
Does anyone know for certain why the Technology Pack goes with the raised floor? I am guessing it is because some element (HDD?) has to go under there, but it would be good to know for certain. I will probably go for a spare wheel and perhaps sub-woofer anyway.
I guess some photos would be really excellent (if anyone is able to go this far).
Many thanks in advance.
glassbathroom

·
Registered
613 Posts
The Screen on the Technology pack fitted Q3 is bigger, and doesn't seem less good than my iPhone (for example) - I play DVD's on it and they look fine too.

To help identify the Tech Pack equipped cars, youalso get a colour screen between the dials which does the Driver Info stuff (Doors open, MPG etc) and provides the Sat Nav Directions.

The Tech Pack also includes the Hard Disk Jukebox - and this can be chosenby pressing the "MEDIA" button on the dash and selecting "Jukebox" as the source.

I wasn't sure about why the raised floor was counted as "Technology" either, but when I did a Boot Sale the other day, I removed the floor, and the Polystyrene filler, and bolted to the floor was a box, which I assume contains the Hard disk equipment. I did take some photos, and I'll upload them later for you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jules,
Many thanks for the great response. One of the main advantages of the Q3 (over smaller Golfs & A3s) is the increased boot space and it seems bizarre that they have messed around with so many strange options that affect the boot space. You're "boot sale" comment is exactly the issue. I don't need a massive boot very often, but I do on holiday (when the kids are in the rear seats) and therefore the "seats up" boot space is critical to me. I would be annoyed to take the Technology option if I loose around 90 litres of usefully usable boot space (my calculation based on a depth of around 100mm). Clearly this argument changes if I go with a spare wheel (which I can see the logic of, but I am not sure the extra space is not more valuable).
I am still not sure if the 460 litres of boot space they state is with the lower or higher floor option. Does anyone know?
I find myself wishing they gave you less options.....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Probably the lower floor option.

You will see from various threads on here that the spare wheel option is viewed as a no brainer. Many people who didn't take it have regretted their choice, and retrofit quotes have been over £1000!!! (there are cheaper quotes too).

All of us have times when we would have loved more boot space. Not sure how many children you have, but if no more than 2, and they are smallish, you can use the split rear seat option to give you some extra space.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If you need more space i would get a roof box and some bars for the rails. I'm sure you would use the options more often than when you're on holiday a few weeks a year

Watch out though, some cars without the Tech Pack will have the colour screen between the dials. Mine does as it's an option but i don't have the tech pack. Wish i did though

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi - as promised, photos of the boot, with the floor "filler" removed

The object in the boot is labelled as a "Radio Unit"

and here's the space area available without it - "Boot Sale Mode" - Note daughter watching Austin Powers on the Sat Nav screen....!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to reilsab, rontheman and especially to Jules for the great boot sale boot shots. Perhaps a new section for the Gallery - Q3 undressed!

So we have a definitive answer to the tech pack reversible floor link. There is a box under there.

Good comments on boot space and the spare wheel issue also. My other half might use the roof box argument to justify a A3 or Golf though. Needs careful handling. Kids small now but growing at a tremendous rate. Sometimes seems like a couple of inches every day.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also have a child , so boot space was essential , I opted for no spare wheel as you do loose loads of boot space , risky I know but for me worth it ,day trips to park , seaside etc , we now have to take bikes , scooters , all would not be possible with the spare wheel ..

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have a Roof Box and Cycle racks for the roof too - but when you have 3 bikes on the roof, you have to experiment..

The filler that goes under the floor does have quite a few compartments in it - useful for storing bottles and food as well as the tyre repair kit, emergency hi-viz vest etc

Setting up for the Boot Sale mode freed up quite a bit of space for those collapsible crates as well though - I was extremely impressed with what I could fit into it... A good profit was made that day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts