Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We've had the Q3 a couple of months now and done a few long journeys. One thing I have noticed is how long it takes for the temperature gauge to reach the normal 90 degree operating level for our 2.0 TDi 2WD. I know its been colder recently but 7 to 10 miles seems to be how long it takes which compared to all previous cars we've had, petrol or diesel, seems way longer.
I thought it might be the thermostat being stuck open but once it gets to 90 degrees at stays there solidly for the rest of the journey.
Does anyone have any similar experience or do I need to contact the dealer?
Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Seabox

I have had 5 Audi diesels and they have all taken approx 7-10 miles to get up to normal temperature so I think it is the norm. I never really push my car until it has done at least 10 miles anyway.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would have thought it depended on the journey. I'm about a mile through 30 limits then it's 70mph bypass. My car would get up to temp in about 5 miles althoughI'msure a manualgaugeis no accurate indication of the temperature.
Have you tried varying you're journey onto faster roads etc? I keep it about 65mph or under 2000rpm until it's warmed up properly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine takes a while to reach temperature as well, maybe thats the reasonwhy Audi has fitted an auxillary heater?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine does too, thank goodness for the aux heater, one of the best features!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have never had a diesel, but they lent me one (2011 model A3) for a couple of days when my Q3 got the software update recently, and I was a bit surprised how long it took to get warm. And how much noisier it is than my petrol Q3! Very happy with my choice of petrol... ;-)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Must be a characteristic feature of Audi TDI engines.

It is 10 miles to work for us and our Q3 does not got up to temperature. Admittedly it is mainly a downhill run, but even coming home (uphill) it does not always reach normal temperature. Our A1 TDI is exact;y the same. Having said that, every couple of weeks our A1 reaches temperature in about 5 miles. I suspect it is regenerating itself.

Our TDI Tiguan was up to temperature so much quicker and it is a very similar car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
SETIG said:
Must be a characteristic feature of Audi TDI engines.

It is 10 miles to work for us and our Q3 does not got up to temperature. Admittedly it is mainly a downhill run, but even coming home (uphill) it does not always reach normal temperature. Our A1 TDI is exact;y the same. Having said that, every couple of weeks our A1 reaches temperature in about 5 miles. I suspect it is regenerating itself.

Our TDI Tiguan was up to temperature so much quicker and it is a very similar car.
Having the very same experience even down to the A1 but ours is a TFSI that gets hot far quicker.The Tiguan did get up to normal operating Temp far quicker & as a result the heater & driver got up to operating temp far quicker on very cold winter mornings too.I had my TDi Q3 in for a 9000k service yesterday & mentioned this to the service manager.He replied that every TDi Audi he drives takes 10 + miles to warm up & is a characteristic of the Audi TDi & that the engine is far different from that of the VW unit He did not go into any more detail but to say my Q3 was nornal & healthy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Asked the same question as you S Line and got the exact answer as well from my dealer.It is a bit of a problemon frosty mornings when nothing defrosts very quickly.My Aux heater seems to have a mind of its own,sometimes it appears to work,sometimes it doesnt.Not sure what the criterior is to make it operate.On another point,I had a Mondeo some years ago,it had Fords QuickClear windscreen heater on it.Best thing since sliced bread in winter.Cant understand why more manufactures dont offer itas standard.Never seen it on an Audi option list,perhaps Ive not looked hard enough.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a look yesterday. I did 5.8 miles in 19 minutes with an outside temperature of -2C after the car had been standing for a good 12 hours. I was almost on 90C on the temp gauge when I switched off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did the same trip today and reached full temperature in 3.8miles and 12 minutes. My average speed over those 3.8 miles was 20mph.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine got up to temperature in 7 miles tonight, the ambient temp was 8'c so that would have helped a bit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,
Seems to be a bit a of a mixed of here but I have booked my Q£ in to be checked because even after 40 minute stuck in traffic in bath yesterday having driven 8 miles of a raods to get there, the engine did not reach 90 degrees. I think the thermostat must be stuck open.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would be interested to know what the outcome is following the trip to the garage SeaBox.

I took my A1 TDI into the garage for this fault also believing that the thermostat was sticking and I was assured it was not. Interested to hear what they find.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SETIG said:
I would be interested to know what the outcome is following the trip to the garage SeaBox.

I took my A1 TDI into the garage for this fault also believing that the thermostat was sticking and I was assured it was not. Interested to hear what they find.
No problem, i will let you know...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any update on this please? I am on my 2nd Q3, and my new one doesn't get up to normal operating either. My Audi Centre have been really good and haven't dismissed it, but at the moment they are struggling to find the fault.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It takes me about 7-10 miles also to hit 90, hasn't caused a problem yet but not been snowy yet.

Comment earlier about ford quick clear , brilliant feature had this on 3 fords, it takes about 30 seconds to de-ice, I believe ford have not shared the patent on this (although it is in the groups cars like some jags), won't find it on as an Audi option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sputnik said:
Any update on this please? I am on my 2nd Q3, and my new one doesn't get up to normal operating either. My Audi Centre have been really good and haven't dismissed it, but at the moment they are struggling to find the fault.

Got it checked by the dealer, all was well, they said this was perfectly normal and that it may not reach 90 degrees so not to worry.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
Crem0 said:
Comment earlier about ford quick clear , brilliant feature had this on 3 fords, it takes about 30 seconds to de-ice, I believe ford have not shared the patent on this (although it is in the groups cars like some jags), won't find it on as an Audi option.
I had this on my Jaguar and it was invaluable. It remains to be seen how quickly the Q3 (petrol) will de-ice itself.

I can't comment on the main reason for this thread (the slow warmup of diesel engines) but I knew enough about it to add it to my list of reasons for choosing a petrol engine as opposed to a diesel.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My 140 Tdi reached 90 degrees in 5.7 miles going to work (8.5 degrees air temp) and 6.3 miles coming home (7.5 degrees air temp) - normal A-roads and school run traffic...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts