Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to collate a bit of data of everyone's tailgate shut gap distances and hoping you can help!

If you would be kind enough to measure points between actual tailgate and pillars/bumper/roof
1) at top of light clusters
2) corners of tailgate
3) between boot and bumper
4) between boot and roof

I would like to know if they are any differences in measurements or if they perfect or near perfect.

Really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Popped out to the garage for a look, mine is a constant 5mm at all the places you mentioned.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Stevew. I've just checked my boot and likewise about 5mm constant gap all round.
However, not so on the rear wheel plastic arches. The gap between the rear door sill and the bottom of the wheel arch is 3mm on the offside and 7mm on the nearside! It doesn't stay like this all the way round the arch thankfully so isn't quite as bad as it sounds. Its almost as if the wheel arch has been rotated to the right (rear) from its correct position. I have spoken to Audi about it and they have logged it on their system and will be looking at it come service time if not before. I am also developing a squeak from somewhere round about the sunroof so if this worsens (as I think it will) they can look at this at the same time - however sooner rather than later! Still, all relatively small fry when compared to the vibration issue which thankfully I seem to have escaped.
Conclusion? Imho, without wishing to upset our hispanic colleagues, the build quality isn't up to scratch when compared to their more northerly counterparts. Although they would never go public, one or two Audi employees would agree with me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Using a Vernier, the gap is fairly consistent around the tailgate at 5mm. However, there are a few sections up to 6mm and at one point, it's down to 4.5m (that is above the NSR 'big' light cluster).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
While we are on the subject of ill fitting parts, does anybody have a picture of their fuel flap?
Mine doesn't seem to fit flush,I'lltry and take a picture later. Maybe it's just morenoticeablein white.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My fuel cap is a little ill fitting as well, most noticeably on the bottom edge, although you do have to study it carefully to really notice. My first A3 was a bit like that as well. May get the dealer to look at it with all the other 'minor' probs

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same here with the fuel flap, it sticks out at the bottom corner

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine's the same although I've not noticed it until this mention. Doesn't really stick out all that much at the bottom to be very noticeable. Probably about 1mm at most and only notice it if I stick my face to the side of the car and look for it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Interesting it's not just me, it does only stick out a fraction and isn't thatnoticeablebut now I know it's there I see it

I think the dealer may just make it worse soI'llleave it be for now. I'll try get a picture when it's daylight and we can all compare flaps

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Here's my flap, you can see it is slightly proud of the body. Sorry about the angle

·
Registered
130 Posts
reilsab said:
Interesting it's not just me, it does only stick out a fraction and isn't thatnoticeablebut now I know it's there I see it

I think the dealer may just make it worse soI'llleave it be for now.
+1 &I think the dealer may just make it worse but may ask the question at the 9k service due in a few weeks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your help on this guys.Picked up Q3 and tailgate was seriously misaligned. 8.5mm vs 2.5mm measured at the top of the rear light cluster.Dealer tried to fix but when it came back and I was not a happy bunny. Between them and Audi UK they have agreed to replace it (the car not the tailgate!).Further negotiations still taking place so will wait until conclusion before I post full details but in the end they have been very fair!

·
Registered
130 Posts
S Line said:
reilsab said:

I think the dealer may just make it worse soI'llleave it be for now.
+1 &I think the dealer may just make it worse but may ask the question at the 9k service due in a few weeks.
Just had the fuel flap replaced under warranty & now looks far better.However the freevalet out could be a little better it appears they could not reach the roof to wash it or notice the bright red fluff from my fleece on the mats, I'd rather they did not bother or at least not make so much fuss about the free valet they offer & just get on with the job.Still chuffed to bits with the drive just want my summer alloys back on to make it perfect again, or are the winter tyres here to stay?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts