Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Has anybody had any problems with the suspension springs on their Q3? My car is Oct '13 very good condition and only done 32,000 miles with no off road use at all yet I have had to replace both front springs and although only one of the rear springs were broken I decided to replace both at the same time. The first front spring went in Sep '17 and the second front spring went in Jan '18 and while getting this replaced the mechanic confirmed one rear spring was broken although I hadn't noticed this. I have used Audi for all my servicing to date and I complained about the springs and they were sympathetic and after asking they offered a very decent goodwill gesture.In my opinion there is no way that the springs should be breaking so often/easily and none of my friends have had this issue while driving along the same routes.Just throwing this out there to see if I am alone or not.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had no problems but it's early days yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

Broken springs are most unusual - if not unheard of - on this site. Mine's a 2013, purchased new with 41,000 miles currently clocked up and no suspenson issues at all. As you've had 3 fail I'd have to ask if you've had the car from new and if not I'd seriously query the lack of off-road use. Breaking one could be put down to hitting a pothole or sheer bad luck, but three?

C'mon people, anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
937 Posts
If I was a betting man I would say it was potholes. Yorkshire roads are riddled with them, most of them severe. At my Audi dealer, at any point in time, they have four or more cars with suspension damage caused by potholes.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Actually you could be right - I've just had a thought. What size wheels does the OP's Q3 run? If they're 19" or 20" the tyres will be so slim they'll offer very little protection against pothole damage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you've got 19s, s-line suspension and drive around on crap roads then it's only a matter of time. At least it's just the coil springs and not alloys that are knackered, springs are cheap.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Ive not had any spring problems with my Q3 but I have had them on my A4 and a previous A3. I know that springs are pretty much exposed to the elements and salt that goes down on the roads but I would have expected them to last longer than that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, Has anybody had any problems with the suspension springs on their Q3? My car is Oct '13 very good condition and only done 32,000 miles with no off road use at all yet I have had to replace both front springs and although only one of the rear springs were broken I decided to replace both at the same time. The first front spring went in Sep '17 and the second front spring went in Jan '18 and while getting this replaced the mechanic confirmed one rear spring was broken although I hadn't noticed this. I have used Audi for all my servicing to date and I complained about the springs and they were sympathetic and after asking they offered a very decent goodwill gesture.In my opinion there is no way that the springs should be breaking so often/easily and none of my friends have had this issue while driving along the same routes.Just throwing this out there to see if I am alone or not.
I have just had the offside front suspension spring break. It has also damaged the steering bearing and both have got to be replaced. The Q3 is a 2014 model and has done 35,000 miles. I agree that potholes could be the cause.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the club rundmc!

Reactions: rundmc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is an interesting read about potholes and how to potentially claim money back. It’s from my insurance company.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: rundmc

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just had the offside front suspension spring break. It has also damaged the steering bearing and both have got to be replaced. The Q3 is a 2014 model and has done 35,000 miles. I agree that potholes could be the cause.
A quick update. The bottom of the offside front spring broke. The metal cup at the bottom of the spring contained the damage. The mechanic reckoned that the lack of use during lockdown had allowed water to collect and rust the bottom of the spring and this could be a contributory factor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My q3 has done 75k miles (2012 reg). Last June (20) the offside front spring pinged and cost £260 to repair. Then in January (21) the nearside front spring popped costing the same to repair. Then last week (April 21) both back springs went costing a slightly cheaper £220 to repair both. Not what I was expecting from a VAG motor, seems very fragile. I took a Passat to 100k miles and never lost a spring/shocker. And I drive like an old man avoiding potholes. Disappointed and would put me off buying Audi again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts