Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
</font>Anyone used the Supplementary Heater forDiesel cars and how does it work? The manual not very helpful</font></font>

</font>

·
Registered
613 Posts
From memory, you just switch it on via the MMI, but in essence it just provides warm air to the interior immediately, rather than having to wait until the engine can provide it... You don't need to do anything else

·
Registered
275 Posts
Jules is correct, it's not as warm as when the engine gets to 90, but it does give you an instan level of heat on a cold start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
does anyone know whereabouts in the car the supplementary heater is? I assume it is either going to be a webasto thermo-top or an eberspecher heater. Both burn a little fuel with the sole aim of adding extra heat. On my range rover I had a remote control unit that could activate the fuel burning heater before you went out to the car. Was very nice getting into a pre-warmed and fully defrosted car on a winter's morn!
I have seen kits for VAG vehicles which add the remote function for the webasto heaters and wondered if anyone knows whereabouts in the engine bay the heater os located. Once I know which type it is then I can consider adding the remote heat function.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think (but am not certain!) Audi now use an electrical system for supplementary heating, which I think makes use of a small heating element (like a kettle) within the heater water hose system.The older systems tended to have a small diesel burner for heating.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do all diesel q3's have this???

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think if you go into the car menu and then driver assist it refers to this heater and mine is set to auto

·
Registered
613 Posts
Phill-uk said:
Do all diesel q3's have this???
I guess so.. In the UK at least...

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think most if not all diesel cars (not just Audi) have this. The reason is that diesel engines take much longer to warm up than petrol engines (ie to get the water temperature up to speed). Many years ago (early 90's) I had a diesel Discovery, which took almost 30 minutes before any heat came out. Prompted me to back the car to the dealer after 2 weeks as unfit!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rontheman said:
I think most if not all diesel cars (not just Audi) have this
This is my 4th 4wd diesel none had a electric heaters before. My Mitsubishi Outlander (57 plate)had the same engine as the Q3.Does the Q5 Q7 or any other audi modelhave the same bit of kit?If so all Audi cars will be kept warm this winter!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had both an Audi A2 and a VW Polo (both diesel) and they both had supplementary heaters. So far as I am aware all Audi diesels have supplementary heaters

1 - 11 of 11 Posts