Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Picked up my Q3 on 1st sept but last few days noticed a weird sound when driving, it sounds kind of like a washing machine going round, but not on the spin cycle if u get what I mean. Like a whooshing sound, very odd - gonna call the garage, but anyone else notice weird noises when driving?

I thought it may be when I had the air con on, but still happens when it's off and all fans off.

Sounds also like wind noise, but wouldn't have thought it was that.

Any ideas?
Edited by: Deb960

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm wondering whether 'my noise' is the same as yours, although mine definitely occurs when the air-con is on. It starts quite suddenly and then switches off after a few minutes, sounding exactly like an air valve shutting off. The noise coincides with a drop in temperature of the incoming air flow - which all adds up to my noise being the air-con. Does any of this sound familiar?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Deb - I don't suppose you have roof bars fitted? These create a wind noise when you are driving along and any appreciable speed - just a thought.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi
I know you said that it still happens with fan off, but do you have the rear air vent open? Try closing it and see what happens I had a similar noise and it was driving me mad! But I had opened the vent when cleaning the car, I closed it and the noise went

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had a noise today like a rasping noise, happened a week ago and then been ok all week, but have driven more today so wonder if happens when warm?? If it keeps happening then might send back in not the best on a 2 week old car

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HiyaThanks for all your help - it doesn't happen when you first drive it but then kinda kicks in when driving for a while, so yes may be something to do with it being warm - but very frustrating and if you have music in quite low you can hear it so very annoying!I did the airvent thing and nope still doing it, I have recorded it on my phone so the garage can hear it, just in case it doesn't do it when I take it in, but today my son said it sounded like a grasshopper - and it certainly does - sounds like im in a hot country with grasshoppers in my car!Im gonna phone them tomorrow, as not good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So seems the very same as mine let me know how you get on I also look a video of it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So u also have a grasshopper sound then!!! Is there a way I can put the sound I've recorded in this forum so people can hear it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
</font>

</font>

</font>Could it be electromechanical
braking (old name handbrake )system self-testing? According to the manual it does this on the go
unlike the ABS system which does this when moving off!

</font>

</font>

Edited by: puddy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hijust a quick update, took it back to the dealer today and service manager came out and is not 100% sure, but its from the cabin and he thinks it may be one of the air con/heating motors making the noise, like its going round but catching on something. It doesn't do it straight away only when the car has done about 3 miles or so. Anyway all booked in for mid October (first time they can give me a courtesy car) but not too worried as the noise is from the cabin and not under the bonnet so all safe to drive.Will see what it is when I take it in.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had an issue like this a few years ago in a different car and by an air vent under the glove box there was a sticker that had started to peel and was making a raspberry noise when the fan was on

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also booked in for Oct now, keeps doing it so glad in some ways and hope they can find out what it is, they are going to have it for two days!

Still takes the shine off it a little

·
Registered
50 Posts
Took it in today, didn't find anything yet, but only seems to happen when driven for around 20 mins stop and then start again. Glad I took a video of it as the technician could hear it on that. They have given us an A6 for a couple of days! Very nice

Just hope they can find what it is

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi thanks for the update and would love to know the outcome. Mine also takes about 20 mins before it does it.
Mine goes in next week so will be good to know what they find with yours!

Enjoy the A6

·
Registered
50 Posts
Didn't find anything so going to take it in next time it happens

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh no - how annoying!Mine is still doing it regularly, goes in on Thursday so will give hopefully know something on Friday

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update! Took car in today, and bearing in mind the noise is there every day after about 10 mins into,the drive. So drove to,the garage which is 30 mins away and u guessed it - no noise!!!!!

Service guy said it will be difficult,to,fix it if they can't hear it and so I said I would drive round for a bit and hopefully it will happen! Anyway got back into the car, started it up and noise was there - yippee never been so pleased to hear that noise!

Technician came out and has never heard that noise before! So left it with them and came home in a black A4 auto! Very boring compared to my q3 so,hope they fix it soon!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any update Deb? Think I'm starting to become obsessed with rattles, I can hear a small rattle when the car is stationary, I think it's this that gets louder, I now think only happens if we do a few small trips in one day. Drove from Newcastle to York no issue, drove to Newcastle from my house about 9 miles out again all ok then 3rd trip and it started again with the louder rattle.

It's going to drive me mad!

Lol must have been posting at the same time! Let us know how you get onEdited by: Slater22

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well garage phoned today to say its a faulty fan that's making the noise in the dash/cabin so have ordered a new one but coming from Germany so will take 12-13 days to,get part in. He asked if I wanted to keep the courtesy A4 or come and get my car and then go in again when part in. So went and got my car back today as missed it - even after just 2 days!!

So hopefully they will fix the fault and all back to normal!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts