Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive had my q3 for about a month now, and occasionally get a very quick sharp grinding noise, litterally for a split second, nothing seems to bring it on it just happens in normal driving, probably about 10 times ive heard it in 1k miles,
Twice going up hill, once free rolling upto a junction once going round a bend, the others i cant remember, the only thing ive noticed the last coule of times was it was in 5th gear, wether that makesany difference or just a coincidence im not sure, ive got a code reader but the only fault at the moment is the haldex system,
Its a 2.0tdi auto sline quattro,
Anyone any idea what could be causing the noise

Cheers liam ??

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi Liam,

What is the Haldex code you are getting? It could be related.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 2013 model, ive got a new haldex pump, filter and oil,to solve the haldex issue,looking at your post richard that sounds similar to my grinding noise

·
Registered
511 Posts
Do you have a diagnostic tester which will read out the DSG control unit and software versions? If so, I can look to see if there is an updated software version.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had a quick look at the obdeleven web site, and it looks like you need the Pro app:

PRO app features
These functions requires advanced knowledge about vehicle programming and are recommended for professional use.

• - Advanced control unit information
  • - Sub control units Information

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the pro version app, but if im honest i dont know how to use it so never used any of the pro features

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same issue of a momentary grinding noise on the nearside front of my 2013 Q3 after a gearbox oil change - took it back to the dealers and they flashed a software update to the box which has solved the problem.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi

I have the exact same problem. It has been happening for about 6 months.

Mine only happens in 5th gear though.

I took the car in for a full service last week and mentioned it. I even gave them the times that the grinding noise happened so they could check it on the tester.

Nothing registered. It happens randomly, sometimes goes a week without it happening, other times it will happen twice a day. Audi said to bring it back if it carries on and they will test run it at different times of the day. I don't think that will help as it is random.

It's always when I'm in 5th gear (auto) and it like a scrapping grinding noise that lasts for a second maybe a second and a half, no longer.

I also had the auto gearbox oil changed and the haldex oil whilst in for a service, but it's still the same.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks Richard.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quick update regarding the screeching noise in 5th gear.

I took the car in to an independent Audi dealer, Just AudiVW in Lincoln. They are very good. The service manager I spoke to pre booking the car in said he had come across this a few times and he was aware of the fault and cure.

I booked it in. They updated the auto gearbox to the latest software version. £76.

Result, no more grinding noise or screeching. Thanks to Richard Hamilton et al for the advice, just shows the benefits of an owners club website.

One question for the techies (which I forgot to ask the garage) Why did it suddenly start happening around 9 months ago yet was fine for 3 years prior to that. If it's a software issue, surely it would have happened from new?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Where's the Thumbs Up Smiley when you need it?

It was the same with mine Steve. It only started happening when mine was about 2 1/2 years old. Absolutely no idea why it took so long to manifest itself.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks Richard.

I think Gromit has disabled the smileys :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maybe not :) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Nope, wouldn't dream of it. I'm a Mod, not a dictator. ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, can anybody tell me if powered mirrors, which at the moment operate from armrest, can be made to operate when the car is locked/unlocked. Enquired in local audi garage and was told that some can and some cant and mine is the latter however after reading posts on this subject I am beginning to wonder if the garage just couldn't be bothered.

Ref--WAUZZZ8U3ER134560

8UB 0HY.

Q3 TDI QUATTRO 130KW.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts