·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondered is there a switch to turn off the stop start function

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yep, there's one on the dash just above the climate controls. It comes on again however the next time you start the car. I don't think you can turn it off permanently.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that reilsab have only sat in the showroom model a couple of times and didnt notice the switch,counting down the days to March 2 car pick up day.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Getting the Stop-Start to work consistently, is your first challenge...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes , I wouldn't bother switching off , getting it to work is much harder !!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I hate the stop - start but there is no way to turn it off permanently, everytime you stop the car it defaults back to on

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It's surprising how quickly you forget when you stroll out the showroom and the things you miss, after 3 months i'd forgotten exactly what i ordered

I've got one of those old school manuals so i find myself keeping the clutch pressed in to stop it coming on, i do get a slight brown trouser moment when it starts up on it's ownsome

·
Registered
44 Posts
I find it annoying but am getting used to lifting off the brake pressure to make sure it starts up ready for the off....I very rarely turn it off as that just makes me more confused sometimes....must be an age thing!
Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
The system certainly doesn't work as often as the one in the Freelander or Scirocco did, even at this time of year. I have started to play the game 'will it or wont it' as I come up to traffic lights or junctions
More often it wont

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gosh, mine seems to work almmost as soon as I've left the house in the morning. Sometimes I do turn it off, like in slow traffic, but I've learned to squeeze the brake gently, but not completely, which fools it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine appears to be working fine, only done 300 mls. The system is designed to only cut in on a firm pressure to the foot brake. As you say slight pressure (enough to stop and hold) and the engine will not cut out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just like yours mine works from just after start off, and yes if you apply just a little less pressure to the pedal it does not cut out.
I' don't see any problem when taking off either , take you foot off engine fires off you go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agree that its a bit off putting to start with - and probably quite different on an auto compared with the manual - I have always found that by the time I have selected gear and thought about releasing the clutch again, it is up and running nicely.
Biggest moment was leaving the Audi agent when I stalled it, and the engine automatically restarted before I could get to turn the key!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Intersting thread, I wasn't sure about the stop start systembut I've found it to bepredictable and problem free, much better than the BMW system.
I suspect it is most effective in city driving but I intend to test it out on my 50 mile commute just to see if there is any mileage advantage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have kept my stop start turned off,surely it will soon knacker the starter motor,be interested to hear some views on this

·
Registered
613 Posts
Glad to see that with the warmer weather, I have seen the return to action of the Stop-Start system, and associated fuel economy increase!
My normal commute barely involves any stopping at lights/junctions etc, but today on a 100 mile plus return trip to Lincoln, it cut in peacefully during traffic queues etc, and I had an indicated MPG of 58.7 mpg - with 3 passengers and 50 litres of fuel onboard...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jules said:
Glad to see that with the warmer weather, I have seen the return to action of the Stop-Start system, and associated fuel economy increase!
My normal commute barely involves any stopping at lights/junctions etc, but today on a 100 mile plus return trip to Lincoln, it cut in peacefully during traffic queues etc, and I had an indicated MPG of 58.7 mpg - with 3 passengers and 50 litres of fuel onboard...
The 2wd versions are certainly economical.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Amazingly so... Putting 40 litres of fuel in today, and the "Range" reading was 510 miles to empty - I'd love to put that to the test... Hoping to take a drive down through France to do that this year

·
Registered
485 Posts
We are off to France in a couple of months. About 300 miles to travel either side of the channel. Like you I tend to sit at 60-65mph (ish) with Cruise control on, so comparing figures may be interesting, if you make he journey.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hopefully - Eurotunnel, then non-motorway cross-country down via Abbeville and Le Mans - towards Limoges... French A roads are superb!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts