Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a Q3 Diesel SE Triptonic since June and am finding the stop/start does not always kick in recently. Having checked in the manual that it is dependant on temp of the engine and cabin temp I am not sure it is a problem or just the cold weather. Was about to ring Audi after a 20 min journey when it didn't work and then activated for the first time on the drive at home. Any thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
That sounds perfectly normal. The stop/start system depends on a huge number of factors being favourable before it will operate - battery state, current power draw (lights, wipers, aircon etc.), outside temperature, engine temperature, journey time, frequency it is used, whether park assist is enabled, whether you're in neutral or not, phases of the moon and so forth.

Mine works when it thinks it will and I had it checked out last time it was with the main dealer and everything's fine - don't worry about it. The fuel saving is miniscule, in fact there's a break-even point of about 35 seconds stationary time below which it actually uses a tiny amount more if stop/start kicks in than if it doesn't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gromit
Thanks for the info, I have a 200 mile trip in a couple of weeks I will see if it then works more frequently

·
Registered
412 Posts
The first button I press after starting the engine? Stop/ Start OFF! I know manufacturers have to fit the system to meet their emissions quotas, but personally I find the the set up annoying in the extreme. Same on my previous BMW! Maybe it's an age thing

·
Registered
613 Posts
Stop/Start is such a temperamental animal - Gromit's list of factors it considers is probably not exhaustive - I'm sure it gets affected by cross-winds and whether anyone is watching...
During the Summer months it was working much more, but now that the darker nights are drawing in, it's already begun to operate less and less

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hope Audi have made that button out of tough plastic because OFF is the first button I also press. At least in the newer bmw's it remembers if you've pressed that button and it stays off next time you start the car. An option i would be happy to pay for

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
You and me both mate. Mrs G switches hers off (she has an A3 Sportback) whenever she gets in the car - she does a very low mileage (mostly short journeys) and prefers to preserve battery charge over fuel. Mine gets switched off if I'm in queueing stop/start traffic but on if I'm waiting at railway crossings or anywhere else where I'm stationary for any length of time (minutes, not seconds).

·
Registered
32 Posts
The wife's is the same, start car, switch off stop/start. Shame you can't permanently disable it.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
There is a solution but it's 'Home-made' and functions 100%!
And, not unimportant, it's safe to use.
Problem is, it's made by a User of Motor Talk Forum in Germany. In that way, you can only ask for it by PM in Motor Talks User 'Stray Cat'.
Do not know if he has a 'English Manual' for it.

Here a video of the Module.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm probably the exception to the rule as I quite like it
It's so quiet waiting at traffic lights etc. But I'm used to driving really grotty cars so I'm embracing all this wonderful technology with enthusiasm
(I wouldn't know where the 'off' switch is anyway - I'm still at page 6 of the manual ...........
)

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's the randomness/unpredictability of the system! Stop at a set of lights and it'll activate; half a mile down the road, more lights and it doesn't
As the driver I want to know when my engines going to be running or not!!

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Bambi said:
I'm probably the exception to the rule as I quite like it
It's so quiet waiting at traffic lights etc. But I'm used to driving really grotty cars so I'm embracing all this wonderful technology with enthusiasm
(I wouldn't know where the 'off' switch is anyway - I'm still at page 6 of the manual ...........
)
Y'know, I just KNEW we were going to have trouble with this one from the day she joined.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
I find if the temp is good @90, no climate control, and it works most of the time. The system works by almost having a Hugh capacitor that stores energy to the start up without turning th key, if you use the system the "capacitor" discharges and te car needs to be driven to fill it up, this is why it Will work at one set of traffic lights but not the next!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gromit said:
Y'know, I just KNEW we were going to have trouble with this one from the day she joined.....
I suppose that I have other things in my life that are more important to worry about and cars just aren't one of them
There is so much to a modern car compared to my first car 40 years ago that, IMO, I could spend all day comparing/groutching - it's just not worth it - I just love driving it

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
That's a refreshingly simplified approach to cars if I may say so. Well said, m'dear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Used to have it on my old Derv STronic A3 and it was bloody brilliant turned off most of the time and it was odd for the car to be running, now the Q3 a much newer car technology wise and I expected it to turn off even more, but no, it is quite random and certainly not as good, it is a real shame.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just to add confusion to the mix, my stop/start has never failed to operate unless I turn it off. Even if I drive just to the end of my drive from the front door (about half a mile, 3/4 of a mile if I happen to be in the West wing
), it still operates. True, I haven't had the car through the colder weather yet - so maybe things will change. I'll keep my eye on it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gromit said:
does a very low mileage (mostly short journeys) and prefers to preserve battery charge over fuel.
I thought the Q3 battery management systems stopped you getting a flat battery re- stop start. Even if you left the lights on overnight it sense this and switches them off automaticity and it also switch off all equipment in sections

The braking reintegrating system helps recharge the battery in addition the Q3 alternators is computerised

The Q3 stop-start system will be switch off rather than leavening you with a flat battery

Observably as the battery ages you could be left with flat hopefully it will be picked up when the Q3 serviced

1 - 20 of 38 Posts