Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have just bought a 2014 Q3 TDI and the Stop Start works very intermittently I took it back to dealership and they said its probably the engine not getting up to temp . I think it could be battery problem. Can someone tell me what temp is required for it to work. How long do you have to be driving for engine to warm up. I need some facts before I return to dealer.
Cheers davysouthport

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Welcome!

Stop/Start is dependent on the battery being in a good state of charge - if you do lots of short journeys/the engine never gets hot then the alternator is unable to replenish the battery.

Reactions: Gromit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John I do short journeys most of the time. I have done 100 mile trips but it did not work I would have thought that should have been enough to charge the battery. I'm not getting any warning light re battery so the alternator should be working ok.

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

As a start, get your battery checked by a competent auto electrician. Q3s rely on their AGM batteries for a huge number of systems, power steering bring but one, and the combination of the vehicle's age, diesel and short journeys is not a recipe for good battery condition on which so many systems rely. Diesl engines and short journeys don't go together well for a host of other reasons so try and give it a bit of a thrash on a longer journey every so often.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, welcome to the club!

As a start, get your battery checked by a competent auto electrician. Q3s rely on their AGM batteries for a huge number of systems, power steering bring but one, and the combination of the vehicle's age, diesel and short journeys is not a recipe for good battery condition on which so many systems rely. Diesl engines and short journeys don't go together well for a host of other reasons so try and give it a bit of a thrash on a longer journey every so often.
Thanks I'll get it checked out and if there is a problem I'll get it replaced under warranty . Start stop not essential but when you have just bought a car you want everything working as I love everything else about my Q3

·
Registered
492 Posts
There are a bunch of criteria that needs to be met for Stop/start to activate (including sufficient battery charge:

Engine temp
Outside temp
Not in sport mode
Aircon off
Seat belt on
steering straight ahead
Not doing a dpf regen
etc etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The engine temp is the only unknown here what would you say running temp is ?
  • Coolant temperature too low or too high. This is typically where the coolant temperature must be greater than 60°C or less than 115°C.
see this article:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2014 TDI with 50000 miles it now has 90000 miles it has hardly ever worked even in the summer. If the battery is left on charge overnight, it works a few times the next day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for info I have found after a long journey it will work a few times then just stops. I'm starting to think the battery is not holding its charge to the level required for it to work. I've been informed the Q3 should have a really big battery and that if it's been changed by previous owner it might not be big enough I am going to have it checked out by the car dealer they have agreed to put a new one in the car if this is the case.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I bought a 6 month old BMW and the battery gave up the day after the car was delivered.
They are definitely not a perfect object.

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
Too true! I had a battery fail on a Jaguar X-Type at about the 18 month mark. Jaguar replaced it under warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts