Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well decided about time I washed the car myself and not take it to the local supermarket. Whilst doing so noticed the first dreaded stone chip on the bonnet.

Whilst I know this is inevitable anyone know of any simple methods to disguise, fix these. Saw this on the web but not come across it. http://www.chipex.co.uk/?gclid=CP2M66rR1LQCFe_MtAod1TYAAA

·
Registered
201 Posts
My sympathies, I cleaned mine over the weekend and noticed someone has run into the nearside front wing, low speed impact so I guess they were trying to get into or out of a parking space next to mine somewhere. No paint broken but the passenger front doorskin is creased, the front wheel arch is dented and the sill seems to be bent.

All in all not the best start to the year, good luck in getting the dent out.
Edited by: Contrition

·
Registered
140 Posts
Contrition, I hate it when that happens. Rotten luck and as you say not a good start to the year. I drive my other half mad sometimes finding the best place to park to minimise the risk of others ruining my pride and joy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks Mark, I will get some quotes later on this month and absolutely agree with you re. parking somewhere out the way. It could have been worse and parking on the street in London or anywhere else these days is always a gamble.

Seasons greetings to the driver of the white car that has yet to master the dark arts of spacial awareness when behind the wheel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Mark,Haven't heard of the product you've mentioned, but have tried various touch up paintsticks with cars over the years but if you're anything like me, my DIY skills leave a lot to be desired. One company I've used a couple of times and would recommend are Chips Away who have a franchise in most areas it would seem. They did a good job on my Boxster a few years ago. http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services?gclid=CO3ew4HL1rQCFePHtAod3TsAbA Hope this helpsBilster

·
Registered
485 Posts
Like all of us devoted to our cars (hope the wife does not read this) I usually park up well away from other cars, usually in an end space when I can.

I was relating this story at work the other day and this chap chirped up with " I know- I look for people like you to park next to as I know that you will be careful when you open your doors" Grrrr

·
Registered
111 Posts
All Q3s can be found the furthest away from the shop or on the top level of a multi storey ;) Drives my wife mad too.
For stone chips, I've used paint sticks from Audi which hides them pretty well. Need a steady hand though! For larger damage (I severely damage the rear corner of my bumper), I would recommend chips away as well. Very good value.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have read good reports on the chipex kits, try a google search,as with anything like this it all depends on your own time and patience though.Chipsaway and other companies that do smart repairs can be a bit hit and miss, they are run as a franchise and it depends on the skill of the technician as to how good the repair will be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
SteveW said:
All Q3s can be found the furthest away from the shop or on the top level of a multi storey ;) ...
+1 here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, really sorry to here about the damage on your car. I witnessed someone in a huge Range Rover try and park in Colchester on Sat and hit the front wing of an Astra.

Then watched the guy move spaces and walk out of the car park without so much on a note. He may have a shock...

I too park in the furthest space. First day parked miles away from the supermarket, came back 2 white vans parked either side, sure they were taking the P**s...

Hope you get your motor fixed soon

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I used chipsaway on my last car which was a Grey colour, i was told bonnets are usually impossible to do as they need an edge to paint too. Luckily the bonnet had a ridge going up about 6 inches from the edge so he could do it to that.
The finish looked spot on and i was happy with the results. The guy doing it was happy to do it as it was dark Grey, he says white is best but he was confident he could do grey on the bonnet. Apparently black and silver are the worst but they should know if it's possible without doing it anyway and making a mess of yourshinynew motor.
My chip was down to the metal, i wouldn't have bothered if it was just through the top coat.
I was in Sainsburys just before christmas, place was mobbed except for a row of spaces in the flooded part of the carpark. I parked in there, had it to myself although i got my feet wet getting back in. A price worth paying

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all, ell had Chipsaway out and to be honest I feel ripped of £60 to touch in the stone chip and I could of done a better job myself.

Chip looks even more noticeable.

In a word 'crap'

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That's no good

I think the quality of the repair varies, like any franchise it's only as good as the guy actually doing it.
Complain and get your money back?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may well do. I spoke at length about the repair and my expectations and he said it would only be a 50% fix. I thought well 50% better that's better than nothing.

100% worse

·
Registered
36 Posts
Demand a refund Mark, I pick my Q3 up on March 1st from Ipswich Audi, after reading about your terrible experience with chips away in our area Iwont be using them should the time come when the inevitable happens.

Give me a wave if ever you see me in my caribou brown Q3 in and around Colchester

Garry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts