Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following up on a point raised to me by members regarding "sticky" threads, I'd like to make some observations, suggestions and requests for ideas/opinions if no-one minds.....

There are some questions which recur pretty frequently regarding known problems and possible modifications. Obvious examples are:- fuel filler flap sticking, undertray coming adrift, steering vibration etc. and valuable modifications developed by members include LED bulb retrofit, spare wheel retrofit/removal, reversing camera retrofit, SD SATNAV card copying (no chance!), luggage compartment nets etc.

These have been covered comprehensively time and again but - human nature being what it is - members (especially new members) will not use the forum search but simply start a new thread or butt in on an existing one to ask the question again.

Making a thread containing a particular issue "sticky" is not as good an idea as it sounds, as the sticky threads soon build up at the start of each forum to the point where they occupy most if not all of the first page of the forum and thus become annoying. If nothing is done, however, the valuable solutions gradually slip down the rankings until they disappear into the sunset and have to be searched for again.

I'm looking for ideas to solve this problem that either the Mods can implement or - if beyond the Mods' powers - we can petition Dan for in the requests thread. Moderators can only do so much and can operate only within existing forums - they can delete posts, move posts to another topic, lock topics and/or make them sticky - but they can't create new forums (they can, however, lock a forum if necessary).

Now, I have a couple of ideas which I'd appreciate your thoughts on....

1> We could create a thread or two in the Technical forum - one for known faults/solutions and one for popular/useful modifications, for example - make them sticky and lock them. Then when a problem is solved or a useful mod surfaces in any of the discussion threads, the originator could post a summary containing all the information and get a Mod to move it to the relevant locked sticky thread. That way all the useful information would accumulate free of the usual banter and off-topic stuff in just a pair of locked sticky threads that kept them easy to find and undiluted by conversation. This could be implemented entirely by the Mods and would not involve any changes on Dan's part.

2> We could petition Dan for a couple of new FAQ sub-forums in the Technical section which could be maintained in a similar fashion by the Mods in that they could be locked if necessary to keep them free of off-topic stuff (or simply checked periodically and irrelevant posts moved).

Either of these two options would solve the problem, but what do members think? Any opinions, objections or alternative suggestions wouldn't half be welcome.

Over to you...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I like both ideas mentioned Gromit. What happens if there is a fault that has several different causes and in turn, solutions? Add the fact that each fault/solution surfaces at different times and you'll have multiple threads with the same symptom/problem with different solutions spaced over time. Then its back to using the forum search to find them all.The setting up of a sub category idea that will be maintained by the mods might address this. One thread for each fault/modification. One or more messages contained in each thread with possible solutions/how-tos.Otherwise I can't think of a better way short of a downloadable PDF containing a table of symptoms/modifications and possible solutions (or links to the threads).
I'll have to give this some more thought .....

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly agree that the second option will provide more flexibility and better grouping.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
How about (if it at all feasible?) to have one thread called whatever we decide, that will contain links to posts containing information on that particular fault or modification.
Could tell newbies (or oldies) just to search that particular thread for keywords.
Any of the suggestions will work I guess, its just we don't want to clog up an otherwise clean and fast site, I do not know the technical ins and outs of maintaining and organising a web site, but I am sure others will have the experience to work it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..like an index thread? I like that - easiest option of the lot and saves endless moving posts, sorting and sh*t.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Gromit said:
..like an index thread? I like that - easiest option of the lot and saves endless moving posts, sorting and sh*t.
That's it....Index......it'll work, yes?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Index seems to make sense even to me, you just look up in an index to search for any relevant information in past threads?

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, but it'll be useful when you or other members - particularly new members - are looking for specific information.

I'm liking this idea more and more - I'll wait a few more days for further opinions, check with the other Mods and take it from there.

Thanks to Bb for the idea - it could easily pass for intelligence...

(runs and hides behind Anna)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Don't you dare denigrate my dumbness!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yes BB, you did work hard for it... the cheek of some people!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I've been expecting a Queens Award for it..........

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Or members who are not as technically advanced as others! Just thought I might make that point before you do. Question you seem to be able to get hold of Anna pretty quickly ?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Although we do not get a great deal of spam on this website, when we do it is a nuisance.

As our moderators are quite active (for their age!) they may like to consider that 1st posts go through the moderators to eliminate such spam.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
SETIG said:
Although we do not get a great deal of spam on this website, when we do it is a nuisance.

As our moderators are quite active (for their age!) they may like to consider that 1st posts go through the moderators to eliminate such spam.
That's a good idea, as you say although we don't seem to get much spam coming through as and when this site gets more popular it can be a pain.

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as I can see, the PHP software running this forum doesn't cater for that. Fret not though, with three mods on board, all of whom frequent these portals pretty frequently, spam will be dealt with pretty promptly. Just use the "report to moderator" facility if you spot any before we do.

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, the index sticky threads are up and running. Please add your entries covering known faults or mods either you or others have already posted.

I hope this covers the requirements - comments would be welcome. Please post all comments, criticisms (constructive or otherwise) and brickbats here to keep the index threads as clear as possible.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Index looks the business even I can see how this works! Not sure I will be able to add much ! But well done it works.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Sorry Gromit I put my comments on the Index and not here as you requeste! Just a bit thick won't happen again. Yorky.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Yorky said:
Sorry Gromit I put my comments on the Index and not here as you requeste! Just a bit thick won't happen again. Yorky.
Ban him......ban him.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts