Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is this operated?
When coming to a stand-still with my current (older, manual transmission, no start-stop system) car, I usually press both the clutch and the brake pedal, and the engine keeps running, then I release the clutch carefully when starting again.
I read that in order to get the Q3 to start up after having stopped due to the start-stop system, the clutch must be touched (manual) or brake released (Q-tronic).
This is not exactly compatible with the first description above, as I would normally keep the foot on the clutch all the time during the stopping/waiting/starting sequence. Am I supposed to not do this, i.e., let the Q3's engine be "strangled" by braking and not pressing the clutch, until it stops by itself? Or is there something I'm unaware of here?
J.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you keep your clutch depressed the stop start will not work. It only works once you have released the clutch after having taken it out of gear.

When the stop start has been activated by the above process, the engine will start as soon as you press the clutch pedal to select gear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks, that clears that up then. Seems very cumbersome to me to take it out of gear at traffic lights, I have never done such a thing, I think. But maybe it's just a habit.
J.

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are a few things to think about - like it doesn't always cut in (cold engine and low temperatures for example) - but the dashboard displays the stop-start symbol "crossed out" to let you know it's still active.
I've not had this function before, but It's very intuitive - you come to a stop, put it in Neutral and take your foot off the clutch, and it stops. When it's time to go, press the clutch to engage gear and the engine starts...
I'm now experimenting with how best to approach Traffic lights and see how long I can leave the engine off! With a bit of looking ahead and planning, it's quiet amazing how long the engine can be stopped for

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking forward to test it properly,I have not had this before either. (Have only tested it for automatics.)
I would have thought that the simplest interface to this function would be to let the engine automatically stop when the wheels stop absolutely, or when the clutch is touched while the speed decreases and approaches zero. And when the brake then is released (as for automatics) while the clutch is fully pressed it could start again. This way, one would not have to put it in neutral at all.
J.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I know what you mean - it's just a different way of driving!

I suppose it is good practice to apply the handbrake, and go to Neutral when you stop for a short period (removing all feet from pedals), but most people probably just dip the clutch and wait in 1st gear.

It's also interesting to note that the engine re-starts automatically if you stall too - which is handy... Discovered that today, accidentally....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of curiosity mostly, I have tried to test the start/stop system. The manual states that the stop will have to last more than 30-40 seconds to actually save more fuel than the stop/start operation itself costs, so I will probably only use it when stopping at lights that I know are slow to switch. But I digress... what I wonder about is this:
Does anybody know under what conditions the system will work? I drove about 10 miles, and the engine had definitely reached the steady state operating temperature. Outside temp was about 15-20 degrees Celsius. AC was off, so no power-hungry applications inside. And still the start/stop system decided not to engage when I followed the appropriate procedure! (Gear neutral, brake pressed, standing still, clutch released.)
Any ideas? Is there a hard time limit condition since starting the engine that must be met?

·
Registered
264 Posts
JayN said:
Out of curiosity mostly, I have tried to test the start/stop system. The manual states that the stop will have to last more than 30-40 seconds to actually save more fuel than the stop/start operation itself costs, so I will probably only use it when stopping at lights that I know are slow to switch. But I digress... what I wonder about is this:
Does anybody know under what conditions the system will work? I drove about 10 miles, and the engine had definitely reached the steady state operating temperature. Outside temp was about 15-20 degrees Celsius. AC was off, so no power-hungry applications inside. And still the start/stop system decided not to engage when I followed the appropriate procedure! (Gear neutral, brake pressed, standing still, clutch released.)
Any ideas? Is there a hard time limit condition since starting the engine that must be met?
I have a diesel quattro s/ tronic and in the warm weather like today it kicks in straight out of the garage , when i get to the end of my drive if i cannot pull out into the road the stop start kills the engine straight away , i know in the winter it needs to get to normal temp before it works , then it will restart if your draining the battery , ie wipers / lights / heater running etc

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi All
When I test drove my Q3 the dealer said he had switched the stop/start off. I understood that to mean that it could be turned off permanently if you didn't want to use this feature. After buying the car, which by the way I am very pleased with, the stop /start has cut in a couple of times. This sent me thumbing through the handbook and raising the point with the Dealer. It seems that the stop/start must be turned off at the start of each journey, because it resets itself to the 'on' mode when the ignition is switched off ( ie at the end of that journey).
I'm not a great fan of this feature and I wondered if anyone had found a way of disabling it permanently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I must say that don't have a problem with the system cutting in and out when in traffic or during a run, as it appears compensate itself for high battery usage and does not operate under those conditions; however its actual fuel saving capacity must be very minimal, if measurable. The only time I switch the system off is when caught in a traffic jam. as an earlier thread here notes a potential problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts