Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving last night and my Glow Plug lamp started flashing, but no other info from the display.Car didn't misbehave, so carried on driving.I always switch my Start / Stop off these days because it's s##t and IMHO dangerous (it's cut out while I'm rolling and just about to "bury it" as I join some faster moving traffic, only for it to cough as it attempted to restart suddenly)!Occasionally, if I know that I'll be stationaryat some lightsfor a while, I tap it back on......
Then the centre display pinged up "Automatic Start / Stop System Failure".When I got home, I switched the engineoffand then back on...and....all back to normal, no lights flashing as if it never happened.
Anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have had the start/stop failure message when the car is in 'stopped' mode and had to restart it manually but not with the glow plug light.

Maybe it meant that the car had disabled the start/stop because it thought there was something wrong with the Glow plugs? The good old 'turn it off and back on again' works for many things in life. But apparently I only ever turn my wife off

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "Glow Plug" light is used as both that and as the "Engine Management" error lamp, so prob nothing to do with the plugs.....suppose I'll never know...As the saying goes.....you can't find a fault that's not there...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Well done M4lli that's sorted that out,I have had the on issue with the Stop/Start system but has cleared it self quickly so never really got to the bottom?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Does anyone who had the flashing glow plug light have a scanner and scanned the car?

·
Registered
595 Posts
M4lli said:
The "Glow Plug" light is used as both that and as the "Engine Management" error lamp, so prob nothing to do with the plugs.....suppose I'll never know...As the saying goes.....you can't find a fault that's not there...
If your near your dealer ask them to put it on their computer to check the fault (it "should" have it recorded in it's memory)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a "clicky" mirror as it folds in and an annoying vibration under the car at idle when I pull up to a halt while in D, but disappears if I slide it into N, so I'm assuming the exhaust is catching slightly, so I'll book it in for those and get the code checked at the same time.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Gord said:
M4lli said:
If your near your dealer ask them to put it on their computer to check the fault (it "should" have it recorded in it's memory)

Bloody **** it must be catching!!....went out after putting in my comments and when I switched car on a message came up "Problem with stop start system" and it did not work on the way out to shops...error msg vanished and system work on the way back though ??

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine did it again last week....then vanished again. Very odd. Ho hum....off to the dealer.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did that last month in San Antonio, days after that when I was turning in a corner the car just made a pop suddenly the motor was shaking and got check engine on and EPC on too on the dashboard. Turned it off, them on again and I got a message "warning start stop system malfunction"

The car got scanned at Cavender Audi in San Antonio and they found a misfire on cylinder 1 y 3, they had to change the 4 connectors to the cylinders

Now the car is running fine.

At the beginning I though it was my fault for reflagging the ECU with revo technik but I guess the problem was caused because of the constant on and off of the start stop system while we drive in the traffic of the cities.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting, because I hate the Start/Stop so I always turn it off, so mine failed while deactivated anyway.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Mine works fine

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Mine too no problem! Just watch tomorrow it will go t...s remind me to keep my mouth shut?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Don't worry it'll be fine, it's everyone else who cannot use correctly

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
One comment I have heard from someone (not a member of this August body) "I don't like that stop start system because it will wear out your starter motor" I made no comment as I thought I might be on a uphill battle to explain?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3 more failures this week, with 2 of them forcing the car into "Limp Home" mode.But, as always, a simple stop/restart fixes it.It's booked in for the nasty noise I have when stopped but in Drive, so I'll add this to the list.
Have to say, this car is suffering a few niggles!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
That's annoying, good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed. I know cars are immensely complex these days, but this one seems to be suffering more than most I've had.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Was driving last night and my Glow Plug lamp started flashing, but no other info from the display.Car didn't misbehave, so carried on driving.I always switch my Start / Stop off these days because it's s##t and IMHO dangerous (it's cut out while I'm rolling and just about to "bury it" as I join some faster moving traffic, only for it to cough as it attempted to restart suddenly)!Occasionally, if I know that I'll be stationaryat some lightsfor a while, I tap it back on......
Then the centre display pinged up "Automatic Start / Stop System Failure".When I got home, I switched the engineoffand then back on...and....all back to normal, no lights flashing as if it never happened.
Anyone else had this happen?
Had the same happen to me today when I stopped in driveway on way home to check mail. Once home I turned engine off and then on again and all back to normal. I did a scan and only error was P012100 - Throttle/Pedal Pos Sensor A Circ range /Performance - Passive/Sporadic. I don't think the error is related as I had the same error a few month back when I did a random scan.
Hopefully it was just a random occurrence.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The STOP /START system is sometimes too clever for it's own good.
I've learned to get in, belt up, start the engine, disengage STOP /START.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts