Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a new Q3 via internet buyer is off the cards until new one available, I'm looking at used;

I'll do not more than 10k per year, mostly 5 miles to and from work in 30mph zombie twice a day (traffic)

I was looking for a 1.4 stronic, but am prepared to broaden my horizons to manual, or even diesel 177, not 140.

Decision - 2012 19,000 miles, 2.0 177 quattro auto for £22,785. Or
2014 5,000 miles, 1.4 manual, 2WD for £22,663

AGE OR SPEC

Between you you've probably covered all bases, so, what do you think?

OR, wait for the new Q3 1.4 stronic and hope for a good deal?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No good buying a diesel for 10 miles daily commute in slow traffic, you would be better with a petrol.

Have you looked at the higher powered petrol with Quattro?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
If your main use is commuting as you describe I would caution against a diesel unless you take it for a good blast every few weeks to get the DPF to burn off, frankly if I were you it would be an easy choice of a 1.4Tfsi S-Tronic......cheap over short distances, warms up fast, and the S-tronic is a dream in heavy traffic.

But then thats just me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
S-tronic is definitely the way to go and as mentioned for the journeys you do a petrol engine would be the best bet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's sort of what I was originally thinking. With the changes to the new SE spec I might take a chance and hold out for the new model in 1.4 stronic spec.I'll keep my eyes open for a bargain before then

Is stronic really worth the 1-2k premium?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Only you can decide if the 2k premium is worth it for the auto, test drive one and see but it really is personal choice. I seen a bad accident on Monday, Focus slid off the road at a roundabout into a lamp post during heavy rain. I do hope there was nobody hurt but this is why i went for the quattro option, it can't beat the laws of physics but the extra confidence in the wet for me was worth it.

However it's not for other owners in dryer parts of the country who perhaps sit in traffic all day so stronic is better value for them.

In a perfect world we'd all have an unlimited budget and drive RS3's
Edited by: reilsab

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I think the s-tronic is worth it and in your case definatley the petrol. Ive got a bad back and my physio says that pumping the clutch in stop start traffic does no favours for your back at all and told me to get an auto. Wouldn't go back now and hate driving my wife manual car. Even my wife wants an auto now....
I would expect the demand for the FL model to be quite strong initially so a bargain may be hard to come by till the production ramp up has completed and settled down.
Edited by: grumpycamel

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Definitely stick out for a 1.4 TFSI S-Tronic - for your purposes and mileage it would be absolutely ideal. Avoid diesel at all costs and test-drive an S-Tronic to see what all the fuss is about. You won't go back to manual, I guarantee.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got to agree with Gromit. I am looking to change to FL model. At present have manual. I Had an Stronic Demo for a day on Tuesday and now understand why everyone is raving about this unit. So next car will definitely be with Stronic.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'll need to give this new stronic thing a whirl when i'm changing next year, my last car was a bmw 3 series auto and although the driving was smooth the experience left me bored. Hence my change back to manual.
i don't know if i would find an automatic front wheel drive car just too dull but i am willing to give it ago, maybe the 2.0 tsfi quattro stronic would change my mind. I'm open to persuasion because i'm switching back to petrol

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
@relisab, since you used to own a BMW auto which I think is one of the best auto boxes out there and got bored then I doubt that the s-tronics will change your mind. I think you either get hooked or not. I have a few friends who have gone back to manuals after driving an auto but they tend to be in the minority.I think autos are great because they save me backache (or worse) and I drive around a lot in unfamiliar towns so gear changing is one thing less to think about as Im trying to change lanes and avoid being in bus lanes.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree with all the good things that have been said about the S tronic. Don't get too excited about the prospect of using it as a manual with the paddle shifts though, in my opinion with the 7 speed box you'll find that you are forever changing gear.

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
True, but the joy of it is that you can use it as a manual with the paddle shifts whenever you want, then if you get bored just do nothing - in about 15 seconds it switches back to auto....er....automatically.

With zero power loss compared with a manual and a faster gearchange than any human driver can achieve, there's not a lot to dislike about it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think the S-Tronic box is sensational and the best auto I have driven by far. One thing I like is the fact that you can change up and down a gear manually on the paddle shifts while in auto mode and the box reverts to auto automatically when it senses a new gear is required. Driving the vehicle in manual mode is not very satisfactory however as you will always need to change gear. Seven gears is just too many for driving in manual but that's irrelevant for me as I bought an automatic box to drive in auto.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I did have the paddles in my bmw, i used them for quick overtaking but 99% of the time is was in D.<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">We bought the Q3 as our main drive but then my misses passed her test and we got a 2nd car so the Q3 is only doing about 3-4K a year.<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Therefore i'll be switching back to petrol next year, the Q3 will be on my list but i'll take a look at the new X1 due to the poor dealerships in my area and the X1 being a brand new model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts