Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, After what seems like months talking to dealers and reading very useful posts onthis forumI finallybagged what I thought was a good deal and ordered a 177 Quattro Diesel S-line at the end of June. Since then I've been mulling over whether toadd to some of theoptions I'd spec'ed and decided to add the LED interior light package.I contactedthe dealer who told me that the car has been allocated to build week 40 (delivery end of Oct) but adding the LED packagemay mean I could lose thisand that they won't know for certain until they change the spec. Does anyone have any experience of doing this before I go ahead and potentially delay thedelivery of my car?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Potentially that is correct, realistically it shouldn't be a problem. Once the car has been allocated to a build week, the spec is frozen, and any change in spec means reordering a new car, from a build week standpoint.Having said that, if your dealer has any sort of charisma, they should be able to establish whether this will cause a delay.At the end of the day, the delay is likely to be 3 weeks, if it goes to a new build week. What that means is that, in a year from now, will you be happier your car came 3 weeks earlier without the LED's, or will you be happy having the LED's and have totally forgotten it was 3 weeks late? It's your call!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am with rontheman. it is better to delay your order and be happy with your specs than to regret it later. So please think hard on the specs you want to add and then inform your dealer.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The LED Interior light package is a nice thing to have - personally, I'd go with what the others say, and go for the delayed delivery, with the bits you want

·
Registered
16 Posts
A small change like this would ony be a problem if they had a supply issue with that part.

For our car, the dealer changed one of their pre specified cars with a build slot from Diesel Sline to Petrol SE .

I would just ask them to update the specification.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Ditto - and take the time to think and double-check the rest of the options list at the same time. I revised my spec 3 times before finalising and ordering - it was well worth it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been reading your posts about spec changes and I would like to pose a question to the group - end of June I ordered a brilliant black S-Line and build week has been confirmed for Week 38. In the last week I have been considering privacy glass as an order change - black car, black carpets, black roof lining, black seats etc leave me thinking that this car will be quite hot inside in the summer. Would privacy glass help to cool the interior? Would appreciate your comments or thoughts.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think any car will get hot in hot summer sun. Black especially. Black privacy glass reflects light in the visible wavebands. Heat is transmitted via infra red waves, which are outside the visible spectrum and therefore not likely to be affected by privacy glass

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Ron, that helps me with my decision.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have ordered privacy glass on our new Q3.We have it on our current Saab (recommended by the dealer for keeping the car cool) and do believe that it works.It also reduces car headlights dazzling you from behind (ie you don't need an auto dimming rear mirror).

·
Registered
192 Posts
</font>Don't spec
factory tinted windows Most Audi dealers don't tell you they won't place
an order of factory tinted glass. They use local car tinting companies the cost
£100 to £120.

</font>

</font>Look at your local area with google. I found a local company this
way! Most put pictures of cars they done. Just use the ones with
loadsAudicars gives the game away.

</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
puddy said:
</font>Don't spec
£100 to £120.

</font>

</font>Look at your local area with google. I found a local company this
way! Most put pictures of cars they done. Just use the ones with
loadsAudicars gives the game away.

</font>
HiI'm sorry but a dealer will not risk doing that, factory tint is proper tinted glass where as a tinting company use a film on the glass.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went to my dealer last week to add the led package to my order and was told that my car is now at a non-amendable stage. Car was ordered at the very end of June and was told it would be ready for delivery in November. Are they for real that it is non-ammendable whenI will only get thecar in approx. 3 months?

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's quite possible, with the volumes of cars that that is the case. If you think of the many processes in the manufacture of cars - all the parts must be ordered in advance depending on the schedule of vehicles to build. They won't keep large stocks of 'bits' in on the off-chance that they may be needed. Most organisations these days operate on a JIT basis - 'just in time' - which means that stock is kept to a bare minimum. So the 'bits' for your car are all probably ordered now :) :) Are you sure your car is still November now ?? Ours was ordered at the beginning of July and is due at our dealers around the middle of October :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi, I ordered mine last week of July and was told October for delivery. Went back last week to up the spec, was told that was fine as no build slot allocated as yet - and still not heard anything. Looking at other timescales given, feeling like I've been spun a yarn...even though they know my current car goes back in September!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bambi - I was told production mid October and delivery mid November for a car ordered at the very end of June. 4.5 months from ordering to getting delivery.If I contact Audi UK are they able to give me a definitive answer on delivery and if I can still change my spec? It just annoys me that my dealer has told me that it is at a non-amendable stage when there was still 3 months to go tillI receive the car when I tried to change the spec.

·
Registered
302 Posts
TheContact said:
Bambi - I was told production mid October and delivery mid November for a car ordered at the very end of June. 4.5 months from ordering to getting delivery.If I contact Audi UK are they able to give me a definitive answer on delivery and if I can still change my spec? It just annoys me that my dealer has told me that it is at a non-amendable stage when there was still 3 months to go tillI receive the car when I tried to change the spec.
I haven't contacted Audi UK, only my dealer as we aren't too worried when it arrives :) Our dealer told us, when we ordered, that we only had a few working days in which to change our spec before it was fixed (and we did make a few changes within the next couple of days). I can see with modern production methods/scheduling/ordering of parts etc etc that it would cause a delay if someone changed their mind once 'their' car has been fed into the order process :) Factories these days don't just have a large heap of parts sitting in a warehouse waiting for a car to need that part. The computer programme will tell the supplier exactly how many parts are needed each week (or whatever) that is required and that is exactly how many they will make, so if someone changes their mind no part would be available :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
puddy said:
</font>Don't spec
£100 to £120.

</font>
Del said:
HiI'm sorry but a dealer will not risk doing that, factory tint is proper tinted glass where as a tinting company use a film on the glass.
Over £250 profit per car They will do it. This is the motor trade

1 - 19 of 19 Posts