Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realise the car didn't come with a spare wheel. I stupidly assumed cars of this nature would have it as standard!!!! After reading about it on here and it being possible to retrofit the spare wheel in the boot I have some questions.
1) If you haven't got the spare wheel option, is it just the spare wheel missing, I.e. is there a space for it?
2) what size is the spare wheel? Reason being is I have an unused one in my A4 which I'm selling which I may forget to include if it'll fit.
3) does any work need to be done on the boot or is it just a different boot flooring required?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
when i brought my Q3 this was one of the first things that i checked out, as Audi has gone down the route of providing owners with tyre foam !!!

From memory, i think you will find that if you have not ordered the sub woofer (which sits were the spare wheel should be) you should be left with the correct space for a "get you home" spare tyre.
hopefully you can amend your order to include a spare tyre, which cost me at point of ordering £75.
on other threads in this forum other Q3 owners have said that dealerships are trying to charge customers for a retro fit tyre around £500
but shop around you never know

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers TRT, I asked the salesman what they can do for me and have the sob story of having baby on board! Watch this space.
Out of interest, what is the size of your spare? I have one in the A4 which has never been used and it may go 'missing' when my buyer picks it up if the size is the same!
Should be collecting the Q3 Monday week ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
You can have the sub woofer- (at least the Audi sound system) with the spare wheel. I have both these options on mine and the sub woofer sits inside the spare wheel. Just need to disconnect the wires when you want to get the spare wheel out, which is not a problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The subwoofer sits in the sparewheel for all the sound systems if it's specified. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the size of my spare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SteveW, to answer your question about the size of my tyre, i have the standard 17" 235/55 wheel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi SteveW
To Answer your questions:
1. The space saver spare wheel sits in a styrofoam type moulding on the boot floor:
Part No: A5N0 601011 Wheel disc and tyre
A8U0 012109 Stowagebox
Both together will cost approx £200
2. All wheels on the car must have the same rolling diameter. If you do your sums the range wheel options of 17"235/55; 18"235/50; 19"255/40 all have the same rolling diameter (within a few mm) of 27". The space-saver spare therefore has to be the same and is 18"145/80 Continental tyre limited to 80kph/50mph.

3. The new boot floor required is more problematical. You could go for the Audi boot liner refit kit costing up to £500 depending who you talk to. If you are anything of a DIY'er it is not a great task, but requires some care, to construct one to sit on the aforementioned stowagebox and materials can be obtained from your local 'Vehicle Trimmer' for approx £20-30. If you look under the boot carpet you will see the screwed socketused to secure you new spare wheel with a suitable sized set screw.

You will obviously need to check you have a jack and toolkit. Mine came with the car despite no spare wheel but I've had my Q3 nearly a year now and things change!

·
Registered
563 Posts
That's always puzzled me, why a car with no spare comes with a jack

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers chaps.
Del - how did you get yours sorted? Through which dealer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,
my Q3 is a 2.0 litre diesel (new july 12) SE model, i have recently purchased a new spare wheel from my AUDI main dealer NOTTINGHAM
here are the details;part no PA5NO-601-011, tyre is continental size T
145/80 R18 99tubeless CST17 its inflated to60PSI with max speed 50 MPH
cost £212-23,i have now fitted this into my boot, you do need to lift boot/carpet under floor matt to find the bolt hole (18mm thread)i then went to local scrap car site and hunted around looking for the right sized carpet that was large enough+clean enough to modify to fit in boot on top of now secured spare wheel/ also purchased large wheel plastic headed 18mm bolt for holding spare to floor, spent a couple of hours altering the newly purchased carpet to fit properly, job is almost completed, looks great! you wouldn't know the difference from OE fit,my total cost came in under £250 which includes my labour, the AUDI price was around £600, so well worth the effort,
Cheers ALAN.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, re my previous info on spare wheel i've stated the bolt size incorrectely, it should be 8mm & not 18mm, sorry about that, ALAN.

·
Super Moderator
1,707 Posts
Del said:
That's always puzzled me, why a car with no spare comes with a jack
Not me...

When you want to change your 'Summer' Tire wheels for 'Winter' Tire wheels, or for what ever reason you have to take them off, it's better to use the original jack instead of a Home used hydraulic one that damages the 'connection-part' under your car.

The Audi Jack is the safest for your car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alan. Glad to hear you sorted Q3 spare wheel. Is the space sufficient to accept a full size wheel and tyre?
Did you need a wheel tray (I read about) or any other Audi part?
Thanks for any information. Michael

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Geoff
If I obtain a new space saver wheel / tyre and the stowage Box, what is your opinion of fitting the semi rigid tray directly on top of the stowage box. From a photo it would seem that the stowage box would provide adequate support and this would avoid the need to construct any additional floor. Your opinion appreciated. Thanks Michael

1 - 14 of 14 Posts