Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taken delivery of Q3 with 17" wheels. Which space saver wheels would fit the Q3, I am thinking of visiting a scrap yard?1942bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi 1942bill

To Answer your questions:
1. The space saver spare wheel sits in a styrofoam type moulding on the boot floor:
Part No: A5N0 601011 Wheel disc and tyre
A8U0 012109E Stowagebox
Both together will cost approx £200
2. All wheels on the car must have the same rolling diameter. If you do your sums the range wheel options of 17"235/55; 18"235/50; 19"255/40 all have the same rolling diameter (within a few mm) of 27". The space-saver spare therefore has to be the same and is 18"145/80 Continental tyre limited to 80kph/50mph.

3. The new boot floor required is more problematical. You could go for the Audi boot liner refit kit costing up to £500 depending who you talk to. If you are anything of a DIY'er it is not a great task, but requires some care, to construct one to sit on the aforementioned stowagebox and materials can be obtained from your local 'Vehicle Trimmer' for approx £20-30. If you look under the boot carpet you will see the screwed socketused to secure you new spare wheel with a suitable sized set screw.

You will obviously need to check you have a jack and toolkit. Mine came with the car despite no spare wheel but I've had my Q3 nearly a year now and things change!

If you search the forum for 'spare wheel' (as above) you will find all you need to know.Edited by: Geoff

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
reilsab said:
This isn't the correct one for the ready inflated 18" 145/80 Space Saver wheel, it would not fit in the circular recess.The part number should have an E at the end. I think that may be the one if you specified aBass Booster withouta space saver wheel, thosewho have that configuration will know better.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think Geoff is right, that part looks like it is for the sub woofer only.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sorry guys, i was just browsing the bay for Q3 goodies and cameacrossit. Everyday is a school day on here

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi all

my car being a dealer pre order i did not get the spare

but i picked up a second hand alloy from germany ebay for under £120
just need to get a tyre

will keep it at home most of the time then when we go for a long trip strap it in the boot

when you get a flat spare or can of repair you still got to put the flat some where

dan

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
Daniel TD5 said:
hi all

my car being a dealer pre order i did not get the spare

but i picked up a second hand alloy from germany ebay for under £120
just need to get a tyre

will keep it at home most of the time then when we go for a long trip strap it in the boot

when you get a flat spare or can of repair you still got to put the flat some where

dan
That's what I would do too

·
Registered
485 Posts
Audi recommend that you rotate the tyres front to rear as the tyres should wear down at an even rate back to front. In any case the good tyres should always be on the rear.

This got me thinking- using the jack supplied, how would you swap the wheels around without a spare wheel?

·
Registered
563 Posts
SETIG said:
Audi recommend that you rotate the tyres front to rear as the tyres should wear down at an even rate back to front. In any case the good tyres should always be on the rear.

This got me thinking- using the jack supplied, how would you swap the wheels around without a spare wheel?
You would have to use bricks
Seriously though, you would need to useaxle stands, but I think it would be pretty tedious and you would probably be better off using a local tyre shop.

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
And my suggestion for this 'rotation' would be, just stay on the same side where you take it of. Just change front and back v.v. IMHO the tyres are used to the forces that are produced by driving. Swap them to 'the other side' and they rotate the other way around.
And, if you have rotation-marked tyres, you must stay on the same side of your Q3.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The handbook does recommend swopping back to front on the same side and not diagonally, but without a spare it makes life difficult.

Just another reason for ordering that spare tyre when you order the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Probably not a popular view reading this forum but I would keep the Audi repair kit if you do go for the space saver option. I have had two experiences lately where I would now opt for that rather than a space saver. In an A5 on a dual carriageway in the dark, it had space saver so I struggled for about half an hour dodging traffic trying to change the offside rear wheel. It was firmly stuck to the hub and had to call the breakdown number. Another hour for him to arrive then another 30 minutes of hitting with various hammers to get it off! Off to the tyre dealer who said the tyre was not repairable and showed me the inside of the tyrewall. Low profile tyres do not stand even me just pulling over after it hit a nail at 70 mph apprently. Second time I was with my daughter in her Mitsubishi, same thing nail in the tyre but no spare wheel just a repair kit. 15 minutes later tyre all reinflated, no drama. Off to the tyre repar place who offered to remove the gunk and repair the tyre for £30 or we could have a new one for £50, it was a small tyre but at least we had the option. Yes if it had a massive hole or a big blow out then the repair system does not work but then neither does a space saver if you can't get the wheel nuts or wheel off safely on a wobbly jack. If you do go for a space saver and the wheels have not been removed since it was at the factory maybe worth getting the hubs greased for easy removal. Edited by: TKP

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It's really about what your comfortable with when out driving, i feel better knowing that i have a spare in the boot. Absolute worst case scenrio of a shredded tyre or rip and i know i'll reach my destination. I think the average mileage between punctures is about 38K so not worth getting stressed about. Maybe the best solution is a spare and the can of gunk, give me this as standard equipment anyday

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fully agree, I am happy to change a wheel but if it was my wife driving on her own she would not even attempt it. Having both in the car covers all the options.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Because I had a space saver installed after delivery I still have the Audi repair kit but I've also used the holts stuff that Halfords sell without problems.It's always worth keeping a couple of large cans in the cars to cover any eventuality.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Strange things punctures, i don't know anybody who's had one on a nice sunny summer's evening in say a carpark! Oh no it has to be raining, dark, or on a motorway and always when you're wearing something smart and in a rush

I only have the spare i got from factory order, i shall have to pickup a can from my local halfords. Cheers Del for the tip

1 - 20 of 47 Posts