Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my Q3 Sline Sportback 2.0 TDI STronic Quatro in November 2020 and did not order a space saver wheel so it came with compressor and gunge for the tyre. I decided I would prefer a space saver and got in touch with my dealer who told me Audi say it can't be changed as it would add weight and change the emissions.
Is this correct

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Really? Less than 20kg in a 1500kg-ish car.
So no passengers or luggage allowed then.
Only one packet of mints in the glove box.

Someone will say that’s correct now…..

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Yet another example of Audi's propensity for testicular ventriloquism. Sorry JohnD, they're talking bollocks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What I've heard from a couple of dealers is that Audi will now only supply a new spare (and associated fittings) to them if the VIN of an existing Q3 with a factory spare is quoted. In other words, it needs to be a bona fide replacement for a potentially damaged and previously supplied spare. Not suggesting this is necessarily the whole truth but it's the story from more than one source.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I had better go on a diet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, I can't see how an extra 20kgs would make a difference probably Audi just being difficult

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I can't see how an extra 20kgs would make a difference probably Audi just being difficult
It would be miniscule but the car weight will be on the type approval documents so deviation is not allowed without expensive amendments. That's why Audi won't 'approve' modifications to the spec but I'm surprised the parts dept would not order the bits for you when you've had the car for months.
May be worth contacting the ever helpful tom fox at crewe audi if you still want a spacesaver

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All
I am relatively new to this forum having recently bought a Q3 45tfsi Vorsprung. One of the first things I did was install a spare wheel. Somebody on this forum, I believe, very helpfully posted all the part numbers for everything required. It is very easy to do. I managed to get a genuine space saver wheel and jack of ebay. However the actual foam insert had to be purchased from dealer. Took a while convincing the parts person that this should be available. Eventually they ordered one. If you have a sub woofer this will sit inside the wheel.
No idea why Audi make this so difficult. If you can order it as an option then does that not affect the emissions?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does a space saver spare fit into an RSQ3, or is the underfloor tray area too shallow for some reason? (Can't quite imagine why it would be, but have learned mot to take anything for granted.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
F3 RSQ3 has the battery in the boot so it’s a definite no go for a spare unfortunately

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Having had motorbikes for 50 years, having a spare hasn’t been much of a priority so having a can of foam and some gas canisters has been fine.

Nowadays, on the sods law assumption any puncture will always be on the outside, changing a wheel in busy traffic fills me with horror. If the tyre is that damaged, sit tight and call for recovery.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Its a disaster. I have put on 3lbs. I think I am now driving the car illegally :)

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Lower your tyre pressures by 3psi? 🥴
Or should that be 3/4psi per wheel?

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
It's truly bloody silly. What happens if you add a factory-fit towbar? That's going to add more weight than a spacesaver - are they not offering that option anymore? Are they saying you can't add rear seat passengers? If so, why fit rear seats FFS? What about roof bars or a roof box - are they a no-no as well? D1ckheads.

Reactions: DavidS
1 - 16 of 16 Posts