Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to leave my car for extended periods next year by the looks of it and I'd like to trickle charge my battery using something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-powered-12v-1.5w-battery-trickle-charger-98358

It seems to be a good choice because of the built in diode that prevents reverse charging. Does anyone know if there are any 12v sockets that remain live once the ignition is off by any chance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased one of those to keep a Pb-acid battery torch charged - useless. Current produced is miniscule.
Buy a decent mains-powered "battery keeper" instead.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks R850, the car's parked on a road unfortunately so I don't have that option. I will have a rethink though

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Answering my own question the manual says that none of the sockets in the cabin are live after the key is removed and expressly warns against plugging in a solar charger. This may be because of the power management system that the Q3 uses, in any event for now it's a no to a solar trickle charger for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good point and to add to that, there's a possibility my Q3 wont be used for 2 months.
I asked at the dealership whether I should leave a charger connected to the battery, in or out of the car, for that period.
The answer was an emphatic "no, just lock it and leave it otherwise you will upset the shut-down circuitry. It'll be fine".
Sounds reasonable and I certainly don't know enough to disagree !

·
Registered
563 Posts
On my previous car Honda CRV the manual said to turn of all the auto devices (lights, wipers, reversing sensors) if the car was being left for a long period of time, don't know if this applies to the Q3 though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point Del I will do that just in case, I think it would be straight forward to have a one of the sockets wired to remain live after the engine is off. What's stopping me is the manual saying not to connect a solar charger or anything similar. R850, I would have thought a decent mains trickle charger connected to the battery would be fine but that's not an option for me unfortunately.

I know the car starts shutting down ancillary systems after a few days to preserve the battery and it seems to me it has a fairly sophisticated electrical management system. Ah well.. back to the drawing board on that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts