Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Keep at it John, he's weakening... :devilish:
:)

It's a bit of both push and pull actually. The push is that other makes/models potentially in the frame each have their own limitations and demerits, and are equally difficult right now to get a test drive in. And RSQ3John is obviously right in that transitioning from Q3 to RSQ3 is much more of a known quantity than making the jump to a completely different model. I'm still not 100% sold on the RS: it's more power than I really need - as I've always said, an SQ3 would have been the sweet spot for me and it would be especially disappointing to leapfrog the 200g/km CO2 level. I know it's an arbitrary number but one that I've resisted crossing till now. And really I would have liked to make the transition to an EV, but there's nothing that quite ticks all the boxes for me right now (compact / 4WD / decent performance etc) so this will probably happen at the next change in a couple of years' time when I'm sure there'll be more choice of EV models. eg the Ioniq 5 promises well for an eventual Kona replacement.

On the test drive: it's not so much the performance that I want to check, which I'm sure will (more than) pass muster. It's things like seat-comfort - 'sports' seats do tend to be narrower and firmer, which is always a bit of a concern for a broad-shouldered chap like me. And I'm wondering about the noise which everyone makes a big deal out of. Maybe I'm odd, but it's not something I care about specially and I particularly don't want any extra drone in normal cruise.

But from a practical point of view what's giving me more pause for thought are the potential missing components on current production cars. Really not keen on having only one key, even temporarily. And not having eg phone charging or 360 car would make it always feel like an incomplete car (relative to what it should have been).

All that said, I can see that the F3 RSQ3 might be, in a small way, a kind of a future classic - maybe the last desirable compact SUV with strong performance and characterful engine that still preserved a good sprinkling of manual controls for aircon etc, plus real buttons on the steering wheel. All of which might be good to help keep depreciation at bay.

Reactions: Beanjunior

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Good Seats are vital and need trying out.
The RS I nearly bought had plain leather and they were so slippery as to be dangerous IMO.
The diamond stitch ones are fabulous but, I have normally preferred half and half.

Reactions: Beanjunior

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
It's not an easy choice PWS, we should not lose sight of historical facts either - prior to the Covid era RSQ3 depreciated at an eye watering rate from new (was why getting a good deal at close to £10k off list was so important a year ago). Pre the chip shortage the RSQ3 could be bought for £44k ish upwards. The 2015 Sepang Blue one I bought at 9 months old and 3,000 miles had lost at least £17k of it's list price. The F3 RS is a lot more popular it seems, a compact SUV hyper performance bargain perhaps though ultimately the voracious appetite for fuel and higher running costs - RFL @ £490 a year as an example could reverse its fortunes.

I note that EVs are moving from novelty items (Tesla being a good example - an iPad with a car attached :rolleyes:) to proper, viable road vehicles. The Audi E-Tron GT (gorgeous but £50k too expensive) and the Kia EV6 (about right cost wise) are viable, practical alternatives that look like proper cars - 250mile real range with perhaps 50+ miles more as a buffer. I average 160 miles a week these days, have a garage so an EV could work really well for me but I'd miss the aural character of the RS.

It's the 'good noise' of RSQ3 ownership - just popped out this morning to pick up 2,000 shotgun cartridges for a shooting mate and, 5 miles each way cross-country in the RS, driving within the limit and still the bellow of the 5 pot makes me smile...even 5 years on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Totally understand your thinking, I went from 8V S3 to 45TFSi Q3 and was slightly disappointed with performance, not lacking but just not quite there, a SQ3 would probably have been perfect (annoying that both SEAT and VW had 300 odd horse equivant😬) so ended up at RSQ3.
Due to mad used trade in prices jumped into RS with no test drive but based on known quantity. Absolutely love it, 5 pot is highly addictive 😀😀

Couple of observations -
Emissions. Never really considered but my 45TFSi (December 20 registered) was already 205g/km. EV just isn’t there yet for me but will get there, probably by next car change.

Seats- drove both 45TFSi with sports seats, full leather and RSQ3 with RS sports seats also full leather for 7.5hrs each in same day. It says a lot that wasn’t tired or uncomfortable/sore etc, after 15 hours driving. Can’t fault either but non RS in 45 do offer marginally more shoulder support (wider seat top section) but as said can’t fault either.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Purchasing a car is based on two major factors, what can be afforded and subjectivity. Lets be very clear about this, the RSQ3 as a car will never be a future classic except for the engine which is a technical tour de force. The RSQ3 is evolutionary not revolutionary. There are too many RSQ3 clones around from many manufacturers, some worse and some better. When I got my ur quattro in 1983 the shape was unique, the engine was unique and four wheel drive was unique in a performance vehicle. This is a future classic. The only thing that should influence your decision is you. We all have opinions which we believe are valid. I suggest that you absorb the opinions, ignore the salesperson then go for a weekend test drive with the family. Remember, they have to live with the car as well as you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
'Future classic' was perhaps a touch flippant. It's obviously not true in the sense of rarity or on a list of eg the 10 best cars ever made! But what was in my mind was that the current RSQ3 might represent a high spot in what this class of car can deliver.

We're probably not now going to see any new platforms introduced at all for combustion cars and even new models will probably just be evolutions of existing ones - all the future development and launch efforts will now be going into EVs. I'm sure this won't stop the marketeers trying to create a buzz around the 'latest 202x models' for a few years to come, but I suspect that innovation will be fairly pedestrian and also increasingly hamstrung with yet more and tighter emissions and noise controls and touchscreens, capacitive buttons etc will become even more omnipresent. So in this sense the present RSQ3 might represent quite a sweet and desirable spot for a (close-to) last generation fossil car, at least in the performance/compact/SUV category.

And, absolutely, that wouldn't be a prime reason for buying one, but I wouldn't be complaining if it were a small side-effect.

As to test drives: chance would be a fine thing, but currently impossible to find anywhere in East Anglia at least - all the dealers seem to have sold their demo RSQ3 models.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's not an easy choice PWS, we should not lose sight of historical facts either - prior to the Covid era RSQ3 depreciated at an eye watering rate from new (was why getting a good deal at close to £10k off list was so important a year ago). Pre the chip shortage the RSQ3 could be bought for £44k ish upwards. The 2015 Sepang Blue one I bought at 9 months old and 3,000 miles had lost at least £17k of it's list price. The F3 RS is a lot more popular it seems, a compact SUV hyper performance bargain perhaps though ultimately the voracious appetite for fuel and higher running costs - RFL @ £490 a year as an example could reverse its fortunes.

I note that EVs are moving from novelty items (Tesla being a good example - an iPad with a car attached :rolleyes:) to proper, viable road vehicles. The Audi E-Tron GT (gorgeous but £50k too expensive) and the Kia EV6 (about right cost wise) are viable, practical alternatives that look like proper cars - 250mile real range with perhaps 50+ miles more as a buffer. I average 160 miles a week these days, have a garage so an EV could work really well for me but I'd miss the aural character of the RS.

It's the 'good noise' of RSQ3 ownership - just popped out this morning to pick up 2,000 shotgun cartridges for a shooting mate and, 5 miles each way cross-country in the RS, driving within the limit and still the bellow of the 5 pot makes me smile...even 5 years on.
Hi John,I’m guessing that the RFL you are quoting is due to the premium that must be paid for the first three years? I’m looking to move to an F3 RS( not until the crazy current prices go back to pre-COVID levels though). The RFL @£490 is still less than I was paying on the R32 I ran before my 8U,so not overly terrifying for me 🤔

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
The 1st 6 years Jason.. :( :( :(

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks for everyone's help on this RSQ3 F3 thread. There are just two details where I'm still a little unclear in the absence of being able to secure a test drive (and if anyone still has the patience to respond :unsure: ):

Sound: How noisy is it in reality inside the cabin? I'm guessing that it depends on drive mode? Hopefully Comfort mode (or its equivalent noise setting in RS modes) is relatively quiet and the extra noise only gets pumped in with Dynamic mode or some equivalent +noise setting. Is that right or wrong? (Really would like to avoid extra cabin drone during eg motorway cruising.)

Lags: Several reviews mention prominent gearbox or turbo lags. Again I'm guessing this is mostly in Comfort mode (much like a standard Q3) and with response sharpened up in Dynamic or gearbox Sport mode. Right or wrong please?

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
OK - noise. Not noisy, Dynamic mode adds a very subtle sound through the audio system, most likely using the sub only - I have a Cete AVC so have the tail-pipe valves permanently open in Dynamic/Auto/Comfort - stick it into efficiency mode and the valves shut. The reason the exhaust is fairly quiet (non of the pops and bangs of the 8U RS) is because of particle filters down-stream of the Cat' converter.

Lags - correct. Comfort and Efficiency modes are softer, Dynamic is a little more urgent and Auto remains scary for its unpredictability. Do note here that if you are of 'more mature years' like myself and have no desire to live the aspiring race driver lifestyle then you'll be 100% happy out of the box - there is rarely any need to use 'S' mode, with 480-500nm of torque on tap from less than 2000 rpm being hurled at horizon at indecent haste with minimal input comes as standard.

For some the throttle-response is still not sharp enough (the 8U RS isn't the same in this respect) and a pedal box is the solution, but few do - I'd like to try it out of curiosity. I see in the OBD11 Apps menu there is a function to improve throttle response so will try that 1st.

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
54 Posts
You can always turn off soundaktor using VCDS or OBD11. This was the first thing I did when I got my car. Quieter cabin sound.

If you have plan modifying the car, you can try DS1 tuning tool. With the DS1 software on mine, this totally eliminated the lag that I was experienced when lower speed driving in the crowded city with poor throttle respond. This also got rid of wastegate rattle too by maintaining wastegate close 100% at idle or lower speed driving. The factory ECU software keeps that open a bit so you hear rattle, which is quite annoying.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
What about a Cupra Formica or whatever it's called?
Cupra Tormentor I think it's been christened. Yes I've looked hard at that and it's very much in the right ballpark on paper, but a couple of issues for me. First, there's something about driver entry/egress that doesn't suit my frame and slightly dodgy knees. Not sure exactly what it is - maybe the sill width to the outer edge of the seat is wider than eg Q3, maybe the driver door cut-out is smaller or lower, maybe the B pillar is further forward relative to seat position (ie you need to exit around the B pillar), maybe having a higher seat (which i prefer - the Formentor seat is relatively low by default) doesn't leave enough space to the bottom of the steering wheel etc? Don't know exactly but I decided - after much jumping in and out of a showroom example - it was an issue that I couldn't easily live with. And second, as with many of the new VW generation there seem to have been a lot of software issues with the new touchscreen-for-everything setup. As ever, there's the promise that the next software version will fix all the various issues (apparently due real soon now), but not sure I want to take that gamble.

Plus I'm not personally 100% convinced about the styling, though I know that many reviewers consider it to be a great success.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@RSQ3John (and others): Many thanks again for taking the time to respond and essentially confirming my guesses. Useful to know also that there is a way of removing the fake noise more completely if it were to become troublesome, but that perhaps seems unlikely. As John suggests, I suspect that I would be likely to use Comfort mode most of the time and flicking into Sport for overtakes or fun drives. Actually, I'm never quite sure how Sport on the gear shift relates to Dynamic mode (or at least the engine/transmission elements of Dynamic). Does Sport just affect the gearbox map and not the engine map (if indeed they can be controlled independently), while Dynamic changes the engine map too? Or is it all more complicated than that?

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
The Drive select modes of Efficiency/Comfort/Auto/Dynamic and the shift lever options of D or S are two different function sets - with one overlap: In the RS1 and RS2 modes the Drive System option when set to 'Efficiency/Balanced' uses the 'D' mode, set to Dynamic it gives you 'S' mode.

Sport mode seems to hold a lower gear at higher engine revs for a given road speed - the turbo (larger than the 8U and spinning in the opposite direction) is therefore producing more boost and the results are even more dramatic. Sport Mode also introduces naughty throttle blips on down-changes and makes the gear shifts fierce, there is a real thump as it bangs between the ratios in full-fat acceleration mode.

As I have written in the past one rarely needs Sport mode in daily use, however there are occasions where the 'small boy/big toy' approach is deployed for the warp-drive launch :rolleyes:, expect zero sympathy from SWMBO in the left seat as they are not happy so if you get an expletive ending in 'child' then...well you have been warned!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Ok, it’s the ancient version but, even driving gently in D, you notice the slight gap in the upchanges compared to the seamless ones on the Q3. My lovely wife mentioned them within half a mile of her first ride in the car.
I shall experiment more while away, but locally I have found that the dinky back lanes we have are better in S as the constant up, down, turn, brake, accelerate are much more responsive without being over dramatic.

I haven’t even tried Comfort or Auto as Dynamic has a nice meaty feel to the steering. Goodness knows if it changes anything else. If I did loads of town work I would give Comfort a try to save my puny biceps but we have the Mini for that sort of driving, even if I grunt getting in and have to heave myself out of it…parking on a steepish camber was tricky last night.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts