Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As hinted in one or two recent posts, I'm actively looking for my next car - mostly in a quest for just a bit more performance than my current 45TFSI. I'm tempted to launch into a saga of how difficult it is to buy a new car currently when you're not sure which make/model to opt for - showroom and demo stock seems very low at present, quite apart from the long and uncertain delivery times, relative lack of discounts etc. For example, I did wonder about a Mini Countryman JCW, which appeals to my interest in something smaller and quirky, but still a performance SUV/crossover with 4wd. But no-one in these parts (or for 30-40 miles around) seems to have a Countryman in the showroom, much less a JCW demonstrator. Story is not much different for a T-Roc R. Cupra Ateca is more available but while that ticks many boxes, it's based on an ageing model and not convinced about how well the Ateca shape will stack up in the next few years. (Ideally, I'd be happy to opt for an EV but there's nothing currently that really appeals, given that I prefer smaller cars with 4WD and decent performance. I'm thinking that in 2-3 years there will be a more interesting choice like an SQ2 EV or Cupra Born GTX equivalent or even an (R)SQ4.)

So, a little reluctantly, I do find myself coming back to considering an RSQ3. The Q3 is basically a car I know and can happily live with, the tech is all reasonably current (bar the missing HUD) and I know how to use the tech, which I think is increasingly important given the amount of tech nowadays and the proliferation of everything via touch-screen and potentially having to start learning and training muscle-memory from scratch with a new car. And other other big plus for the Q3 is this forum - it really is quite nice to have an active discussion board for opinions, comments and questions about the car. Of course forums do exist for almost every make/model, but they can be very low traffic (Cupra Ateca, Mini Countryman) or too international to be fully relevant. This one strikes a good balance.

But, as per other posts, I do like the Q3's black styling pack and pan roof (along with various other options like extra tech) but actively don't want 21" wheels. So my only approach would probably be to spec an RSQ3 Vorsprung and then change the wheels back to 20". Been reluctant to contemplate this, but think I'm being forced to review the practicalities of doing so.

To the question: Where would be the best place to look for new/genuine Audi 20" '10-spoke star" wheels. I'm guessing that Audi dealers are not going to offer the best price, though maybe that's a point of possible negotiation?

And, one further point: The RS1/RS2 driving modes - are these both user-configurable modes or presets by Audi?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Referring to the JCW, reports are that the ride quality is/was awful.
If it is anything like my std JCW, I managed 3 years as just a fun car but, in the end, the hard ride was too much, which was a shame as it was a great little car.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Referring to the JCW, reports are that the ride quality is/was awful.
If it is anything like my std JCW, I managed 3 years as just a fun car but, in the end, the hard ride was too much, which was a shame as it was a great little car.
Was that a Countryman? But, as ever, it's the package of suspension + dampers + wheels/tyres that determines the ride quality. I'm given to understand that on the Countryman if fitted with the optional 18" wheels (50 profile tyres I believe, or maybe 45) rather than 19" plus the optional adaptive dampers then ride is quite OK (at least with the DCC in the equivalent of Comfort mode). Maybe yours had a different suspension spec......or maybe not?

But TBH and unless something turns up unexpectedly, the Countryman JCW was interesting to consider and has some definite plus points like the smaller size, the HUD and some definite character but even so I'm unlikely to choose it. I'm never going to buy a car that I can't have a decent test-drive in and the prospects for that look slim at present. But the JCW has other things against it too: The looks are quirky, but are they too quirky? There's still some important tech like blind spot monitoring and side alert completely unavailable. (Some tech like park-assist and lane assist I couldn't care less about and will never use, but there's other tech safety-related tech that I would miss.) And the infotainment screen is an odd little letterbox - Q3 is head and shoulders better on that count. And did I mention the Countryman forum - one post per week....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was in similar position regarding the the 45TFSi and went for a RSQ3 Sportback sport edition, quite similar spec to the Edition 1 apart from addition of advanced key and pan roof……and 21” wheels.
I honestly can’t say the RS standard suspension with 21s feel harsh or too firm, not much different to the Edition 1 on standard sport suspension and 20s.
If you really want to get 20s could be an option to ask the dealer to swap the new RSQ3 21s for your existing 20s from your 45TFSi?
Other than that as you say try to do a deal to swap after delivery with the supplying dealer

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My JCW was the ordinary Mini. It was just way too crashy on current roads.
My wife’s Cooper is 18 years old now and will need replacing at some point and We are thinking about a Countryman Cooper S as the various reviews on the JCW are all a bit scathing about the ride.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
F3 20" RSQ3 wheels are ET38 8.5J and look like this: Winter Wheels 20 Inch Audi Q3 RSQ3 F3 83A Alloy 83A601025S DOT19 New | eBay

The RS1 and RS2 modes enable specific pre-sets to be selected - Drive Select/steering/exhaust etc and one curious thing...how active the Haldex is. Personally, RS1 is fairly conservative and RS2 is maxed - S mode and everything selected.

Truth be told, unless some BMW M model owner needs a reminder of what real performance looks like then S mode is rarely needed - and I should warn you now passengers always look worried. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Menace and TheJam

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@RSQ3John: Many thanks. So it sounds like there's no major alternative supplier of genuine Audi parts in the UK beyond Audi main dealers? I'm a bit reluctant to buy used wheels off eBay for what would otherwise be a new car. But as I say, right now I'm just (seriously) looking at options.

And sorry but I'm still not 100% sure on how the RS1/RS2 drive modes work. I understand drive modes work in general and how Individual mode works on my current Q3. The question is whether RS1/RS2 are completely preset by Audi or if they are alternative user-configurable modes. Is it possible for instance to turn off what I understand to be fake sound in eg RS1 and leave the rest of the settings as is? For reference, I find in my current Q3 that I leave the mode in my settings for Individual pretty much always and just flick the gear lever into S when I want a snappier gearbox map.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Most welcome as always.

Wheels the Q3 wheels at 20" ET38 8.5J are relatively unusual - unsurprisingly the VW Tiguan uses the same size. Short of buying second-hand, the only alternatives is from Audi UK at eye-watering prices or Beanjunior's suggestion of keeping your existing rims and have the dealer do a swap has merit.

RS1 and RS2 modes:

This is the Drive Select 'Home' screen on my RS:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

You'll note that unlike your Q3 there is no 'Offroad' option , but two additional settings for RS1 and RS2, see below:

Automotive design Font Vehicle Rectangle Electronic device

Rectangle Publication Font Bumper Electronic device

I imagine that if the adaptive damper option was installed there would be a further setting for that - perhaps a Vorsprung owner could confirm.

Killing the fake engine noise is a OBD11/VCDS job - though as I have the Cete AVC - automatic (exhaust) valve controller with the flaps permanently open I don't notice it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On eBay, not cheap but includes winter tyres, seems to be located in Germany where alternative winter wheels are the norm.
Edit- looking again that’s not too bad a price as the tyres would be £1k so £1660 plus delivery isn’t too bad🤔🤔

·
Registered
41 Posts
On eBay, not cheap but includes winter tyres, seems to be located in Germany where alternative winter wheels are the norm.
Edit- looking again that’s not too bad a price as the tyres would be £1k so £1660 plus delivery isn’t too bad🤔🤔
They’ve been listed for a while, might be worth making an offer if you’re interested in them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They’ve been listed for a while, might be worth making an offer if you’re interested in them.
Well, yes. but this project is all rather hypothetical at present. It is certainly a serious possibility (otherwise I wouldn't be wasting everyone's time here) but first I need to make a decision on whether to go for a new RSQ3 or not and then wait presumably 4-6 months or something for delivery? Looks like for a bunch of practical reasons (eg I can't easily get a test drive in a Countryman JCW, T-Roc R has major delivery problems apparently and is due for a significant update next year etc) my choice has come down to RSQ3 Vorsprung or Cupra Ateca VZ2. Of course the two cars aren't direct equivalents - the Cupra is almost £20K (|) cheaper; it's significantly lighter and shorter and so I'm wondering if it might feel a bit more nimble on the road, but the interior is clearly lower-rent and with older tech. Do I really want to fork out an extra £20K to save 0.6sec on 30-70 (4.1s vs 4.7s AFAICS). Head says Ateca, heart says I might always regret not opting for the RSQ3. Need to try and organise some test drives and then see which organ wins!

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
You have a terrible dilemma PWS!

The differentiator for the RSQ3 and moves the choice ahead of the alternatives, lives up front and is an amazing piece of technology, perhaps the epitome of ICE development after 100+ years of evolution, this is more akin to an all out powerplant intended for motorsport. Forget the performance numbers, that's not what matters. The EA855-EVO engine has something few modern power plants have and that's character, bucket loads of it - with two distinct personalities:

1) Driven normally it's deceptive, its actually quicker than almost everything out there and absolutely effortless in the process. This is because the engine hits peak torque at 1950rpm - there isn't actually a torque curve but rather a torque-table that stays flat all the way to 5850rpm. Audi quote 480Nm but that's on poor fuel, give it 99 octane and you'll looking at 500Nm. Driving the RS with the turbo-boost display up in the VC and one can see that in normal use there is little or no boost provided.

2) Lean just a teeny-weeny bit harder and the turbo wakes up and the second, completely nuts, personality arrives. The RS lunges at the horizon with indecent haste, with the 5 cylinder howl from up front as company - best not try it with the lady wife in the passenger seat, the 'Evil eye' will be your reward. Back off and it returns to normal, its easy to live with.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Triangle

So yes you can have the Mini/VW or Seat - but none have something that's unique to Audi and that's the amazing 5 pot, I feel a twinge of guilt because its doing nothing useful for the planet and will be the last of its kind for me..was eyeing up the Kia EV6 the other day!

Have attached the Audi 2020 TFSI self study document on the engine...I've read that replacement engines are £16,000 - I can believe it too.

Attachments

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have a terrible dilemma PWS!

The differentiator for the RSQ3 and moves the choice ahead of the alternatives, lives up front and is an amazing piece of technology, perhaps the epitome of ICE development after 100+ years of evolution, this is more akin to an all out powerplant intended for motorsport. Forget the performance numbers, that's not what matters. The EA855-EVO engine has something few modern power plants have and that's character, bucket loads of it - with two distinct personalities:

1) Driven normally it's deceptive, its actually quicker than almost everything out there and absolutely effortless in the process. This is because the engine hits peak torque at 1950rpm - there isn't actually a torque curve but rather a torque-table that stays flat all the way to 5850rpm. Audi quote 480Nm but that's on poor fuel, give it 99 octane and you'll looking at 500Nm. Driving the RS with the turbo-boost display up in the VC and one can see that in normal use there is little or no boost provided.

2) Lean just a teeny-weeny bit harder and the turbo wakes up and the second, completely nuts, personality arrives. The RS lunges at the horizon with indecent haste, with the 5 cylinder howl from up front as company - best not try it with the lady wife in the passenger seat, the 'Evil eye' will be your reward. Back off and it returns to normal, its easy to live with.

View attachment 2915

So yes you can have the Mini/VW or Seat - but none have something that's unique to Audi and that's the amazing 5 pot, I feel a twinge of guilt because its doing nothing useful for the planet and will be the last of its kind for me..was eyeing up the Kia EV6 the other day!

Have attached the Audi 2020 TFSI self study document on the engine...I've read that replacement engines are £16,000 - I can believe it too.
Great post - made me even more excited about my pending arrival!

I guess that's why the 0-60 is a little higher than it could be - but realistically 0-60 isn't that relevant in real day to day life

(Though still probably gonna go to a stage 1 (575NM) or 2 (a mind blowing 650 NM!) after a few 1000 km's)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm, looks like there are zero RSQ3 test drives available for 50 miles around me which is a bit of a bummer. So either got to wait some time, order 'blind' (which I'd really rather not do) or buy something else. As I say, it's a frustrating time to be looking to buy a new car.

On a related tack, anyone know what might be missing from a new RSQ3 Vorsprung order? I'd be half-expecting only one key, at least for now. but what about other features? For instance, the chips(s) that do the 360 camera seem to be in especially short supply and this feature seems to have been deleted from Q4 Vorsprung currently (along with no phone box, wireless charging or park assist - not that I'd be bothered about the latter). Might be mildly surprising if something similar is not happening with Q3/RSQ3 too, though conceivably the chip spec might not be identical.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought mine without seeing or driving it!

not heard of 360 camera deletion. But seems along with single key you’ll likely lose wireless charging.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
To be fair PWS a test drive won't tell you much that you don't already know - the RSQ3 has roughly twice the get up and go of your current ride, effortless performance in 'D', 'S' not required 99% of the time. Interior is improved with fabulous RS seats. Is there an owner here that's closer to you than myself in Warwick?

Reactions: TheJam

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
And....thinking about it a bit more...better brakes, fabulous aluminium 6 pot calipers shared with the RS4, different instrument graphics, the two RS modes with the button on the steering wheel...and it feels properly special - because it is. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Keep at it John, he's weakening... :devilish:

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
You'll be next Gromit...:devilish:

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Nah, my old 2013 2.0TFSI is good enough for me. It's got things you can't get these days, like the titanium interior, headlining and dash. Anyway, at 58,000 miles it's just about run in by now. :)

Reactions: DavidS
1 - 20 of 43 Posts